Why no love for Smittybilt?

Gradylvr

So I get the fact that they are no longer a U.S. Owned/Manufactured product. Does that make a company that was founded in 1956 in the U.S. A bad company because they sold to non US company? Would you not buy a Porsche,BMW or Mercedes? Look at your home appliances...I guarantee they are not made in the U.S. Or manufactured by a U.S. Company. Does that make it an inferior product? I have no affiliation with them whatsoever but feel they offer a decent product at a decent price that 95% of the jeeping community would be more than happy with. Why all the negative reviews? Is it like bashing Budweiser and "loving" craft brews because they're not mass produced? Help me understand the hate.

thardy

Banned
So I get the fact that they are no longer a U.S. Owned/Manufactured product. Does that make a company that was founded in 1956 in the U.S. A bad company because they sold to non US company? Would you not buy a Porsche,BMW or Mercedes? Look at your home appliances...I guarantee they are not made in the U.S. Or manufactured by a U.S. Company. Does that make it an inferior product? I have no affiliation with them whatsoever but feel they offer a decent product at a decent price that 95% of the jeeping community would be more than happy with. Why all the negative reviews? Is it like bashing Budweiser and "loving" craft brews because they're not mass produced? Help me understand the hate.

I wouldn't call it hate. But if I'm going to spend my hard earned money on a product for my rig, I'd rather buy one that isn't going to fail me. Chances are, a Smittybilt product will be great for most Jeepers, but if you are really going to wheel your rig and want the products you buy to withstand abuse; Smittybilt is simply not the product to buy.

Jk909

Cheap quality control is the issue. Just last weekend my little cousin bought smittybuilt door straps. We put them on his tj and they broke before dinner that night. You may get lucky and get something that will last but with how much I've seen their stuff fail I wouldn't buy it.

Mind you this is coming from a guy that had a lot of their products on my old yj.

Gradylvr

I wouldn't call it hate. But if I'm going to spend my hard earned money on a product for my rig, I'd rather buy one that isn't going to fail me. Chances are, a Smittybilt product will be great for most Jeepers, but if you are really going to wheel your rig and want the products you buy to withstand abuse; Smittybilt is simply not the product to buy.

So is this from experience with the any of their products not holding up?

aldaman

....To add to that, the fitment is not all that great either. It's a hit or miss. Some of the parts line up while most do not. That's the last thing on my mind after spending money on a product to only find out it's not a perfect bolt on and you have to modify it to fit/work...:thinking:

Gradylvr

Cheap quality control is the issue. Just last weekend my little cousin bought smittybuilt door straps. We put them on his tj and they broke before dinner that night. You may get lucky and get something that will last but with how much I've seen their stuff fail I wouldn't buy it.

Mind you this is coming from a guy that had a lot of their products on my old yj.

Gotcha. No excuse for poor quality control these days.

piginajeep

The Original Smartass

It's inferior because it's a piece of shit. Poor welds, poor designs, shitty powder coat, even worst fitment.

It is American owned. It's not made in America.

Where do you get the 95% of jeepers are happy with it?

Gradylvr

....To add to that, the fitment is not all that great either. It's a hit or miss. Some of the parts line up while most do not. That's the last thing on my mind after spending money on a product to only find out it's not a perfect bolt on and you have to modify it to fit/work...:thinking:

I agree with that. I hate spending any amount of money and not getting a quality product. Haven't had any fit issues thus far with them but have heard many a horror story.

Gradylvr

It's inferior because it's a piece of shit. Poor welds, poor designs, shitty powder coat, even worst fitment.

It is American owned. It's not made in America.

Where do you get the 95% of jeepers are happy with it?

Not 95% are happy but 95% don't need anything more than what they provide as far as capability. Seems like most folks are more concerned with aesthetics rather than capability.

piginajeep

The Original Smartass
Not 95% are happy but 95% don't need anything more than what they provide as far as capability. Seems like most folks are more concerned with aesthetics rather than capability.

It's ugly shit. They are more concerned with the price point and it looking like they might take it Offroad.

gary2

Your choice of Import cars in post #1 don't quite fit the example you are trying to show . I think to be more relevant you could of used brands along the lines of say Kia , ugo ,Hyundai, Crap brands like that would fit perfectly . I bet then you would of been able to answer your own question.

USMC Wrangler

The only Smittybilt items I have are seat covers and a center console cover. Those were the only two items I've been interested in that didn't have terrible reviews. They serve their purpose for now with the kids and dogs. If I see the same items made by the same company in multiple places getting bad reviews, my money can be spent elsewhere, and vice versa.

Do you have any Smittybilt items that are great? If so, I love to hear about it. I'm all for functional at a good price that lasts.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

Honestly, what do you care what other people think about Smittybilt? Are the products you choose to buy for your Jeep your way of measuring your manhood or something? People have opinions just like you and just because you don't like what they have to say doesn't mean they're "bashing" anything. They're just saying what they think.

Coloradan

I was looking at my buddy's Smittybilt front bumper next to my EVO 1/4 Pounder this weekend, and the difference in quality is incredible. From the welds to the powdercoat finish, the Smittybilt products look and feel cheap. The bottom line in this industry is that you get what you pay for.

Hot94Z28

Good reason they are called shittybuilt, I would not want to spend any more money buying something twice shit cost a lot as it is to mod these things.

thardy

Banned
So is this from experience with the any of their products not holding up?

Personal experience. I ran their classic sliders on my '14 2dr only because of the price point and I couldn't find any Rubi rails cheaper. Also because I won a 4wp gift card. They install on one side went just fine, but the other side was a pain in the ass. Everything hole along the pinch seam was just off enough to cause issues. That to me is a quality control issue. The welds on the unit themselves were amateur at best. Not to mention I have seen many a friend have issues with their products, be it design flaw (front bumper end plates catching a rock, bending back and creating a dangerous cutting hazard) or overall crappy build quality (full front bumper on a TJ not taking a 30mph collision without totalling the jeep). To me it's just not worth the money to take the risk, thus why I do what I can to steer people away from them.

Gradylvr

Your choice of Import cars in post #1 don't quite fit the example you are trying to show . I think to be more relevant you could of used brands along the lines of say Kia , ugo ,Hyundai, Crap brands like that would fit perfectly . I bet then you would of been able to answer your own question.

Ha. Okay. I guess that's my reason for starting the post....want to hear folks that have experience with it not holding up. As for KIA and Hyundai I think they are well respected brands with great quality control...from what I hear.

Gradylvr

Honestly, what do you care what other people think about Smittybilt? Are the products you choose to buy for your Jeep your way of measuring your manhood or something? People have opinions just like you and just because you don't like what they have to say doesn't mean they're "bashing" anything. They're just saying what they think.

Wow....just asking for opinions

Top Bottom