Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What started your passion for the off-road Jeep lifestyle?

Cool What started your passion for the off-road Jeep lifestyle?

I just read a cool story from JK_Dave off his build thread about his first experience off-road and how the fun memory of that day stayed with him. I thought it would make a cool thread to hear how you started in the sport or came to realize the enjoyment of the off road wayalife. I'm not sure if there is a similar thread out there or not but I did a quick search and didn't see one.

My first experience in an off road vehicle was in 07 on safari in the South African bush. To this day that trip remains one of the most epic of my life. I thoroughly enjoy exploring off the beaten path and taking photographs of views that most my never see. Not to mention that feeling of wow, I can't believe the day we had or obstacle we just did!

Here are a few pics from the safari...

image.jpg.
    image.jpg.
    image.jpg.
    image.jpg.
    image.jpg.
    image.jpg.
    image.jpg.
    image.jpg.
    image.jpg.
    image.jpg.

I hope to hear your story too!

Mine is not nearly as epic as yours but mine started when I got my YJ. I am stationed in Charleston, SC and I was buying and selling vehicles as a hobby. I ended up getting a XJ which I built up a little. I realized I wouldn't come close to getting my money out of it because Cherokees are a dime a dozen and they are real cheap. I ended up doing a straight trade with a guy that had a 95' YJ. Win for me because wranglers hold their value. But after working on it, customizing and driving I became hooked. Also finding JK Experience on YouTube made me want to do that more than anything. Now I own a 2010 JKU. Definitely hooked. ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1442777790.511810.jpg

The Original Smartass piginajeep's Avatar
    I was trying to impress a hot blond in a white TJ. Our first date we went "mudding". We were then late for the movie because of it. I then had to remove the chrome off my TJ because she laughed at me..

Our 10 year anniversary is coming up!!
    2012 JK8
    1958 FC170 (Jeep Forward Control)
    1953 M38A1

Been Around the Block Lil Nasty's Avatar

What started your passion for the off-road Jeep lifestyle?

My mother wanted a jeep when I was a kid. My father want to make it cooler. I would help him work on it. 85 CJ7 that we lifted and put bigger tires on. We built a 304ci V8 for it but he sold the motor instead of putting it in the jeep. He would put me on his lap and let me steer while he worked the gas and brakes.

I got hooked when we were doing a search and recovery for a missing guy. By the time we hiked to the area we were spent. So a local jeep club volunteered to take us out to the different search areas. They would haul us out in multiple jeeps through snow and over boulder fields. It was great! I'll never forget that. Later the following year in the spring I ordered mine.
    2007 White JK Rubicon Unlimited

EVO Long Arm
    EVO Front Coilover System
    Rear EVO Lever System
    w/14" King Coilover Shocks
    Tires: 40x15.5x20 Toyo Open Country MT's,
    20" Spyderlock Beadlock Wheels
    PSC Ram Steering Assist
    Dynatrac Pro Rock 60 Front Axle w/Competition Shafts & CTM U-Joints
    Dynatrac Pro Rock 60 Rear Axle
    Atlas 4 Speed Transfer Case
    Rock Hard Roll Cage
    Warn Dual Force Winch
    EVO Front bumper 1/4lb w/ Stringer
    Lo D Rear Bumper
    My Pictures: http://trailbud.smugmug.com/

Great thread and great stories! My interest was pretty accidental. I always thought Jeeps looked pretty cool and were probably a lot of fun, but speed, corners, and maneuvering were really my "dream." Some years ago, I had the opportunity to ride along a race driver at a Porsche race class. They later demonstrated the Cayenne Turbo, that did this really cool climb and crawl maneuvers over rocks, in addition to insane track performance. But, are you kidding me? For what possible reason would someone want to crawl up a rock in a field, especially at $110,000? I started seeing all kinds of built-up Jeeps, many with tops down and doors off, in the area. The drivers and passengers all had smiles. So, started mentioning to the hubbie, "I think having a Jeep would really be cool." So, over this just past Memorial Day weekend, he arranged for a surprise test drive. A Copper Brown Willys Wheeler had just rolled in to the dealership the day previously, and I was in love. Signed the commitment contract that day. During the transaction, hubbie kept mentioning that there was a version called "Rubicon," that did the "crawl thing" like the "tennis shoe" (what I call the Cayennes's). My response: "Yeah, but what would I want to go on rocks for?")..........35 BFG KM2's on black, rock-rashed Rubi wheels, 3.5" Metalcloak Game Changer Lift (probably ended up 4.5"+), gussets, additional oil pan/ engine skid and lower control arm covers, front E-locker (limited slip rear), Poison Spider front/rear diff covers, bolt-on Poison Spider rock rails over my Rubi rails, Warn zeon winch, shortened front bumper, etc. etc., later: "Oh, yeah! Rocks! Rocks!"

Some of you know it was my late brother who got me started off road with four wheels, we were best friends through life we did everything together, fishing, camping, dirt bikes so we ended up getting 4x4 trucks just to explore and get to more out of the way camp sites then when he bought a hummer h2 he joined a club/forum and got more and more serious I would ride with him on the more serious trails my truck wouldn't go, he ended up trading the h2 for an h1 and we had a blast in that thing he did a lot of Moab in it and even stuffed it through slick rock yup a 100k vehicle with full forest pin striping, he was planning to try the rubicon trail the year he passed 2011 my plan back then was to get a jeep to keep up with him on these trails but unfortunately I didn't get my jeep until after he passed but my mind always goes to him every time I complete an obstacle or trail

I would like to add I have a few new brothers now (you know who you are) thanks to wayalife
    Last edited by Panda; 09-20-2015 at 09:34 PM.

When I was about 4-5 years old, my parents had some friends with a yellow CJ and I remember them running the Jeep through the woods safari style with the top up and doors and windows off. Then...when I was in college my girlfriend got a new Jeep, 95 YJ with a soft top, no A/C and manual transmission which she couldn't drive very well. I traded vehicles with her and started driving it everywhere and was hooked immediately. Ended up with a new 95 YJ of my own about six months later!
    2015 JKUS - Hers
    2016 JKWW - His
    Previous - 94 YJ, 95 YJS, 95 YJ Sahara, 08 JKX

Mine is kinda of lame but funny. Me and a buddy were on this empty lot messing around he has a Jeep I had a Ford Explorer 2wd. I of course kept getting stuck he would pull me out. One day he said drive my Jeep instant love. Long story short I traded in my Explore for a Rubicon. I have never been happier. I do miss the Explorer but now I can do some real wheeling. ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1442786647.342731.jpg
    ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1442786690.695970.jpg

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1442788350.347046.jpgImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1442788381.163714.jpg
    I am Armenian but during the genocide my family fled from Armenia and went to Ethiopia. My grandfather was adopted by the king of Ethiopia (Haile Selasslie) who sent him to school in Italy to become a doctor. When he received his degree he returned home to work with the king and his people. They lived an adventurous life hunting and taking safaris to Kenya. He bought a brand new Willis jeep that was sent in a crate to Ethiopia. He always said nothing compares to a jeep.

Sometimes when I'm going down the road I still see him in the passenger seat. To us it really is a way of life.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast