Rubicat on 40's FLEX TEST

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Okay, been meaning to take Rubicat out for a while now and do some flex tests now that we've got her back on 40x15.50 Nitto Mud Grapplers. What we were really wanting to know more than anything is whether or not we did enough body trimming to clear the tires and to see where we might still be rubbing. Anyway, we finally found some time today and took her down the street to Prison Hill and here are a few shots that we took while we were there. :cool:

Here's a shot on our favorite ramp that helps us to get as much opposing flex as possible and helps us to see where we might still be having problems. A few shots from the rear.
main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

With the exception of a tiny bit of rubbing on the pinch seam near the rear quarter panel, all looked good but, as you can start to see here, there was quite a bit of rubbing of the fenders up front.
main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

Well, with our note taking done and happy that not much more was really needed, we decided to play around a bit on the rocks and take a few poser shots of both Rubicat and Moby.
main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

Shot of just Moby.
main.php

And one of just Rubicat.
main.php

And here's a side by side shot of both of them on level ground, just for comparison sake.
main.php

main.php

main.php

:cool:

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Holy stuff batman!!! Yea I think there is just a little rubbing up front lol. It's funny how you can also see the difference in the old style stinger on moby and the newer one on rubicat how much smaller it is. Great shots Cindy!!

NAUJK

Once I have money for some 37s I will be going up to them. Just gotta get the money for them! Cant wait to run them! still small comapred to these two beasts though!!

I do remember asking you few years ago when I met ya if you were going to put 40s on Rubicat and you said you might but didnt think you were. Wonder what changed :crazyeyes:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Holy stuff batman!!! Yea I think there is just a little rubbing up front lol. It's funny how you can also see the difference in the old style stinger on moby and the newer one on rubicat how much smaller it is. Great shots Cindy!!

Yeah, may have to add a little pre-load to Rubicat's coil overs and raise her up a bit. The problem is the width of the tires coupled with the little amount of back spacing. Although, the rubbing isn't all that bad. As far as the stingers go, good eye. We like Moby's better too. :D

These threads just make me envy your fleet. Complete badassness. Looking great Eddie.

:cheesy: Thanks

Man those Mud Graps look good! :yup:

Yeah, Mud Grapplers really are great looking tires especially when they're this HUGE! :shock:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Man quit posting pictures like this up, making me want to just buy 40's instead of 37's

LOL!! 40's are awesome but far from necessary to do most of the trails we run. The cost to run 40's is enough that I would recommend you stick with 37's. Looks aren't everything. :cool:

Are you running an sort of body lift on Rubicat?

Nope, no body lift.

Those are some of the best photos I've seen on here. The clouds were perfect in the background!

Thank you :cool:

Once I have money for some 37s I will be going up to them. Just gotta get the money for them! Cant wait to run them! still small comapred to these two beasts though!!

I do remember asking you few years ago when I met ya if you were going to put 40s on Rubicat and you said you might but didnt think you were. Wonder what changed :crazyeyes:

We really shouldn't be running 40's on Rubicat being that we still only have a ProRock 44 up front. The only reason why we are running them is because we had them laying around and wanted to do some Dynatrac ProGrip brake testing with them on. There literally is no bigger, heavier wheel and tire combination out there or, for the most part anyway. :yup:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Quick question, being now that the trail grapplers are available again, do you prefer the mud or trail grapplers more ?

In a 40x13.50/R17 vs. a 40x15.50/R20 - the Trail Grapplers hands down. They have a much sticker rubber compound and offer a softer ride. On the rocks, they do a much better job hooking up.

NAUJK

We really shouldn't be running 40's on Rubicat being that we still only have a ProRock 44 up front. The only reason why we are running them is because we had them laying around and wanted to do some Dynatrac ProGrip brake testing with them on. There literally is no bigger, heavier wheel and tire combination out there or, for the most part anyway. :yup:

I was gunna ask how would that PR 44 handle 40s? What if its only light wheeling and not crazy skinny pedal and stuff?

In a 40x13.50/R17 vs. a 40x15.50/R20 - the Trail Grapplers hands down. They have a much sticker rubber compound and offer a softer ride. On the rocks, they do a much better job hooking up.

I am looking at either the 37/12.5x17 trail grapplers or 37/13.5x17 Mud Grapplers

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I was gunna ask how would that PR 44 handle 40s? What if its only light wheeling and not crazy skinny pedal and stuff?

Actually, I have total confidence in the housing as I have seen it handle a crazy big hit in a way that tacoed a UD60. It's the ball joints, unit bearings, shafts and ring and pinion that I know won't hold up. Light wheeling would be fine and we'll do that much but anything that requires a lot of steering in tight rocks is just asking for trouble. Speed can destroy them as well.

I am looking at either the 37/12.5x17 trail grapplers or 37/13.5x17 Mud Grapplers

In a 17" wheel, I personally like the Mud Grapplers more.

Not sure if it's an optical illusion but looks like RubiCat sits just a tab bit taller than Moby.

Actually, they're about the same height and Moby might be a hair taller now that I raised him a bit.

NAUJK

Actually, I have total confidence in the housing as I have seen it handle a crazy big hit in a way that tacoed a UD60. It's the ball joints, unit bearings, shafts and ring and pinion that I know won't hold up. Light wheeling would be fine and we'll do that much but anything that requires a lot of steering in tight rocks is just asking for trouble. Speed can destroy them as well.

That makes sense. 40s would be fun. But I think ill stick with the 37s that I have planned. Wont happen for a long time but some day! Evo carrier should be happening here in about 3-4 weeks! Cant wait for that either!! :rock:

In a 17" wheel, I personally like the Mud Grapplers more.

I know you also like the Toyos. but between the Toyo and Nittos in a 37s for a 17" wheel which do you think you would prefer? I was leaning towards the Toyo in a 37 13.50 17.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
That makes sense. 40s would be fun. But I think ill stick with the 37s that I have planned. Wont happen for a long time but some day! Evo carrier should be happening here in about 3-4 weeks! Cant wait for that either!! :rock:

I know you also like the Toyos. but between the Toyo and Nittos in a 37s for a 17" wheel which do you think you would prefer? I was leaning towards the Toyo in a 37 13.50 17.

Oh, without question, I really like the Toyo's as they come 13.50 wide and honest to goodness, they have the toughest sidewalls bar none. I literally have NEVER seen one suffer a failure.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Great pictures guys!

Oh, without question, I really like the Toyo's as they come 13.50 wide and honest to goodness, they have the toughest sidewalls bar none. I literally have NEVER seen one suffer a failure.

You keep saying that but must have forgotten Doug and the twig. ;)

Top Bottom