Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Shop/Garage recommendations in Reno/Tahoe/Carson area for re-gear

Shop/Garage recommendations in Reno/Tahoe/Carson area for re-gear

Not sure if this is the the right place for the post, however In the next month or two I will be planning on re-gearing my 2012 Jk, going from 3.73 gears to 4.56 and while I do the majority of my own work and installs Im not comfortable with installing new gears. Anyway, I was wondering if anyone had a recommendation for a good place to go get this done, basically looking for quality work at a price that is reasonable (or maybe a place with a smoking deal!!). I do not plan on adding a locker. Ive lived in Reno, NV for a bit over 2 years but don't know of any quality shops yet. willing to drive a bit if necessary, Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

I have lived in Reno for the better part of 40 years. Unfortunately, I haven't found a shop I trust yet. You might shoot a private message to MTG. I think he had his gears set up over in Sparks at some small shop and I don't believe he has had any problems. I'm not sure how much it cost though. Meanst had Lithia do his gears and has had no problems. Lithia wasn't cheap though (I think around $1k just for the labor and he purchased the gears online).
    Jeep parts and accessories purchased through the following link will help support this forum and at no cost to you.
    RECOMMENDED JEEP PARTS & ACCESSORIES

Nothing but a Thing NevadaZielmeister's Avatar
    I was about to ask the very same question. I will be having my re-gearing completed at ORE this Spring however I need to bring the vehicle in after the gear break-in period to not void the warranty.

MTG?
    RubySky's Build:
    EVO Double Throw Down Front and Rear suspension with bypass system and EVO Lever
    EVO Extreme High Clearance Long Arm Upgrade
    Dynatrac ProRock 44 Front Axle with Pro Steer Ball Joints, G2 35 Spline Placer Gold Axles, ProGrip Brakes
    Dynatrac ProRock XD60 rear axle, full float with 5.38 gearing
    JE Reel 1350 drive shafts
    EVO Pro-Tek Skid Plate System
    PSC Extreme Duty Cylinder Steering Assist kit
    EVO Rear RockStops with King Air Bumps
    Nitto Trail Grapplers at 37x12.50x17

Sharkey, thanks for the information, to bad there isn't a great shop here in town. Wish I could make a trip to ORE to have it done but don't know if I'll find the time, though with their special it might be worth the trip depending on what I come up with. I'll shoot MTG a message and see if he has anything to say.

Shop/Garage recommendations in Reno/Tahoe/Carson area for re-gear

Bump - where'd you end up getting this done Ben? Anyone ever find a shop locally to get this done at? I've got an estimate from 4WP but it's not cheap. They're quoting me about $2k just for the re-gear and $3k to add an e-locker in the rear.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by ChiliDawg View Post
    Bump - where'd you end up getting this done Ben? Anyone ever find a shop locally to get this done at? I've got an estimate from 4WP but it's not cheap. They're quoting me about $2k just for the re-gear and $3k to add an e-locker in the rear.

I found it to be more expensive up here to get gears done. I got mine done at Adam's High Rolling Customs. I was happy with their work, he has a gear guy whos been doing gears for a long time. I paid 1900 for just rear arb/ and 4.88 gears and rebuild. had my front axle built to bolt in so didn't need the front done. still kinda pricy though.

Sent from my SM-G928V using WAYALIFE mobile app

Have any of you priced out 4 Wheel Parts? Down in SoCal, they sub-contract a mobile company that goes around from shop and their prices seemed to be okay.

Quote Originally Posted by benatc1 View Post
    I found it to be more expensive up here to get gears done. I got mine done at Adam's High Rolling Customs. I was happy with their work, he has a gear guy whos been doing gears for a long time. I paid 1900 for just rear arb/ and 4.88 gears and rebuild. had my front axle built to bolt in so didn't need the front done. still kinda pricy though.

Sent from my SM-G928V using WAYALIFE mobile app
    Really that's not that bad. ARB is what, $1100? $200 for gears and rebuild kit? So $600 for install isn't horrible if they were running air lines and all that.

RECOMMENDED JEEP PARTS & ACCESSORIES

2012 Dozer JK
    -Dynatrac PR44/Rubicon Rear
    -Nitto 37” Trail Grapplers
    -Rock Krawler 2.5” Lift
    -ATX Slabs
    -Warn VR8
    -EVO Armor/Bumpers

2012 Billet Silver JKUR
    -EVO DTD front and rear
    -Dynatrac PR60/PR80
    -EVO High Clearance Long Arm
    -Nitto 40” Trail grapplers
    -KMC Machetes
    -JE Reel 1410/1350 Driveshafts
    -Warn CTI 9.5
    -EVO Armor/Bumpers

1975 DJ5

Quote Originally Posted by wayoflife View Post
    Have any of you priced out 4 Wheel Parts? Down in SoCal, they sub-contract a mobile company that goes around from shop and their prices seemed to be okay.
    Yeah that's the only quote I have right now is from them. Their labor cost seems a bit high to me. $2k total to re-gear to 4.56

Quote Originally Posted by OverlanderJK View Post
    Really that's not that bad. ARB is what, $1100? $200 for gears and rebuild kit? So $600 for install isn't horrible if they were running air lines and all that.
    Yeah, sounds about right to me as well. Just tough when you've got shops like ORE doing it for $999. Of course, that's SoCal and there's a lot more competition down there.

Quote Originally Posted by ChiliDawg View Post
    Yeah that's the only quote I have right now is from them. Their labor cost seems a bit high to me. $2k total to re-gear to 4.56
    Okay, good to know and apparently, about ballpark for what people are paying up here.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast