River Raider Expedition Snorkel Install

RonG

I have a 2015 JKU Sahara. I hydrolocked it at about 8000 miles - the pothole was deeper with a sharper drop-off than I expected. And, I was going to fast when I hit it. The insurance company replaced the engine (less the deductible) and I learned a lesson.

Since I got it back, however, I've been puddle (and rain, and any water) phobic. So I decided I needed a snorkel... not for fording but for my peace-of-mind. Did I really need it - probably not, but I feel better having it.

I did not want one that rode high on the A-pillar, so that left me with the River Raider Expedition Snorkel and Rugged Ridge XHD Snorkel. While I like how the Rugged Ridge laid low in the right cowl, I was a little worried about all of the low lying joints and water intrusion. Probably not a real issue but enough for me. Some might object to the River Raider's mushroom on the cowl, but I was OK with it. I chose the River Raider.

The components of the kit itself were all solid. The problem I had initially was that several small pieces were missing. This also had been noted in a write-up I found from several years ago. I called, got great customer service and I had the parts a couple of days later.

I read through the instructions (with pictures) several times but was not entirely sure I understood several parts. Certain steps had great detail and others seemed to be glossed over. To their credit, they were much clearer as I was actually doing the install.

The instructions have you start with the air box modifications, then do the battery relocation, finally cutting through the cowl and firewall. MY JK is my daily driver and I needed to be able to continue driving it for most of the installation, so I started with the battery relocation, then did the fire wall and cowl work, and finished with the air box. I had been hoping to do some kind of variation for the air box to include a high flow or cone filter. However, with Hurricane Matthew bearing down on us, I just followed the instruction. I may revisit the issue down the road.

Battery Relocation

The battery relocation was relatively straight forward, except for a wiring connector not referenced in the instructions. It needs to be detached from its location (centered between battery connectors in the picture). The wires are relatively short and, when the battery is reinstalled, everything is very snug (it's jammed behind negative terminal). I tried to shift the battery as far over as I could, but it didn't give much more room.

Snorkel Install 1.jpg Snorkel Install 2.jpg

Vacuum Hose Relocation

There is a vacuum hose connector located on the right outboard side of the engine compartment. This needs to be relocated to make space for the air hose. The instructions are not clear on how much lower the new bracket needs to be than the original. I just freed the connector up for the duration of the installation. I installed the new connector as I was routing the air hose. Lower is better.

Cowl Work

This is the most nerve racking part of the procedure - cutting through a finished, exposed surface. Again, deviating from the instructions, I cut the firewall first, so I got to practice and refine my technique.

There is a wiring harness running along the top of the firewall. This is detached, and flipped out of the way. The insulation is then cut away. Finally, a metal template is riveted to the fire wall to guide the hole saw (this was the main part that was missing from my kit). In looking at the template initially, I was unsure which way it went, but once the insulation was removed, I realized that the notches in the template line up with ridges on the firewall.

Snorkel Install 3.jpg Snorkel Install 4.jpg Snorkel Install 4a.jpg Snorkel Install 5.jpg

Getting a drill with hole saw attached was tight in the space available. The metal template made life much easier. As I could not be sure I would start in the exact center, I withdrew the guide bit on the hole saw so it was nearly flush with the edge of the blade and used the template to locate the hole. It bounced around a bit before it caught, but the template protected the painted surface (you can see the scratches on the template). I went through some the sheet metal and another layer of insulation.

Snorkel Install 6.jpg Snorkel Install 7.jpg

The included paper template gave the location of the center of the hole in the cowl itself. The center of the hole is on the seam between the two cowl pieces. I was afraid that if I drilled the pilot hole with a larger bit it would wander, so I started with a tiny hole and worked my way up through several bits until I was just smaller than the guide bit on the hole saw. I extended the guide bit on the hole saw back out. I then taped off the area where I would be drilling and protected the rest of the area with cardboard and a blanket. There were several layers of sheet metal to go through.

Snorkel Install 8.jpg Snorkel Install 9.jpg Snorkel Install 10.jpg

At this point, I removed the center cowl section (there were some plastic pins in the center which I later discovered could have been reached much more easily from under the hood). The instructions say to remove the two bolts holding the side section in place and to gently pull it up. That wasn't working. It turns out there was also a bolt under the A-pillar bracket.

Snorkel Install 11.jpg

I touched up all of the raw metal surfaces (including holes drilled for the rivets) with a self-etching primer. A Q-tip worked well for getting to the backs and around corners.

The rest of the cowl assembly was relatively straight forward. The various pieces are partially assembled and put in place. I used RTV to seal the pipe that passes through the firewall. Some of the rubber pipes where hard to get over the metal pipes. Warming the rubber with a hair dryer and lubricating the pipe with spit did the trick.

Snorkel Install 12.jpg Snorkel Install 13.jpg

The pipe through the firewall and the cowl base are both pop riveted to the sheet metal. I had considered screwing them in place but was concerned about getting them tight without stripping the hole. A call to River Raider confirmed my concerns and I used the pop rivets (although I did use screws to attach the mushroom cap).

Snorkel Install 14.jpg Snorkel Install 15.jpg

As I mentioned, I was going to play around with the air box at this point, but Matthew was knocking and I just followed the instructions. For this reason, I also have no pictures of the air box conversion.

The instructions we pretty clear for the air box conversion. They have you reverse the air flow through the box. I don't have a Dremmel (which other have suggested using to modify the air box), but I found a sharp chisel and hammer worked really well at removing the plastic ridges which had to be broken away. I used RTV between each of the plates and the air box when I installed the plate. On problem I had was that some of the screw holes wound up on interior plastic ridges. They had to be cut, drilled or chiseled away to make room for the nuts. Once the air box was done, I cut the tab off the side of the air filter so I could flip it over and air would still flow through it in the right direction.

Here are some pictures of the final install. The flexible air hose sits a little proud - I assume it is being slightly flattened when the hood is latched down.

Snorkel Install 16.jpg Snorkel Install 17.jpg Snorkel Install 18.jpg Snorkel Install 19.jpg

I am happy with the results and glad I chose it.

Last edited:

RonG

I did it in chunks over several days (to keep it drivable), so I don't know exactly how long it took, but I'd guess it was 5-6 hours, total. Breaking it up, it didn't feel so long.

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Hell of a lot of work for something that in my personal opinion is completely unnecessary and looks totally gay but clearly, to each their own. If it helps you to sleep better at night, that's all that matters. Nice job on the install.

Ddays

Hooked
Wait, you seriously hydro-locked after hitting a pothole puddle? :crazyeyes: How goddam big was the pothole???

21oxbog.jpg

HoosierWolf

Although Eddie is right, you probably don't need it. If I lived in Florida I'd have a snorkel as well, along with some other modifications but then I'm a bit of a prepper.

My concern is it doesn't look like you gained much height?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Although Eddie is right, you probably don't need it. If I lived in Florida I'd have a snorkel as well, along with some other modifications but then I'm a bit of a prepper.

My concern is it doesn't look like you gained much height?

LOL!! Like I said, to each their own. :yup:

RonG

How much total height did the air intake gain? Make any noise when driving at highway speeds?

°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°
http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?p=621404

The intake is now about 4 inches above the cowl, so maybe it gained a total of 6 or 8 inches above stock. From my point of view, the bigger benefit was that it moved it further back and away from the grill. Where I'm living we get thunder storms that can leave a foot and half of water on the road in places and, at night, you don't see them until you're in them. This just seemed like a safer location.

I have not noticed any change in noise on the highway.

RonG

Hell of a lot of work for something that in my personal opinion is completely unnecessary and looks totally gay but clearly, to each their own. If it helps you to sleep better at night, that's all that matters. Nice job on the install.

I agree that it is probably unnecessary (I knew the post would stir that up) but I do sleep better. Thanks.

RonG

Wait, you seriously hydro-locked after hitting a pothole puddle? :crazyeyes: How goddam big was the pothole???

The pothole was on a dirt, back road and probably 2-3 feet deep. The front edge went almost straight down. The funny thing is, the guy who pulled me out and lived down the road, told me he hydrolocked his JK in the same spot a year or so earlier.

That said, it would not have been an issue if I used better technique and didn't assume the hole was shallow like everything else on the road (the more I went through, the less careful I was). There's a lesson in there somewhere.

Last edited:

Ddays

Hooked
The pothole was on a dirt, back road and probably 2-3 feet deep. The front edge went almost straight down. The funny thing is, the guy who pulled me out and lived down the road, told me he hydrolocked his JK in the same spot a year or so earlier.

That said, it would not have been an issue if I used better technique and didn't assume the hole was shallow like everything else on the road (the more I went through, the less careful I was). There's a lesson in there somewhere.

2-3' deep?! :shock: That's not a pothole - that's a sink hole! I think I'd hire a dump truck to throw a load of gravel in the damn thing....

Top Bottom