Page 1 of 30 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: ARB Fridges ?

ARB Fridges ?

So we've been talking about getting an ARB fridge. Only 2 concerns, they aren't cheap and they take up space. Is it really worth it for those of you who have one? And is it worth getting a 37 qt to save space? We have 3 kids, so my gut is to go with the 50qt. But I don't want to give up gear space.

Other questions. Does this just plug into the rear 12v power source or is heavier wiring needed? If we don't want to build/buy a slide, can it just be picked up while fully loaded or is it too heavy?
    Jeep parts and accessories purchased through the following link will help support this forum and at no cost to you.
    RECOMMENDED JEEP PARTS & ACCESSORIES

Support the JL forum: JLWRANGLER.COM

We've had our 50 qt for a few years now and we still believe it's been one of the best investments for Jeep trips.

Running heavier gauge wire is the way to go. The factory cig outlets (especially the rear outlet on 2012+) don't always work well. ARB sells a really nice wiring and plug kit that can be connected directly to the battery.

If space is an issue the smaller fridge might work out better for you

I have heard the 12v socket will not work well and it's worth it spend the $40 on the ARB harness. The 37q from what I understand takes up the same footprint but isn't as tall, and with a family I would definitely get the 50. Loaded it would be just as heavy as a 50qt cooler full of ice. I packed mine with water and lifted it, and I would say it's similar.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Knows a Thing or Two Journeyman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by WJCO View Post
    So we've been talking about getting an ARB fridge. Only 2 concerns, they aren't cheap and they take up space. Is it really worth it for those of you who have one? And is it worth getting a 37 qt to save space? We have 3 kids, so my gut is to go with the 50qt. But I don't want to give up gear space.

Other questions. Does this just plug into the rear 12v power source or is heavier wiring needed? If we don't want to build/buy a slide, can it just be picked up while fully loaded or is it too heavy?
    I don't know about the 37 qt. It would actually be great for us on shorter wknd trips but anything beyond that would be interesting. But one thing I did notice immediately about our was how much room ice takes up. Without that we're able to pack way more cold stuff.
    I've read here that people have had problems with just plugging into the back of their jk, but I am not one of them, two years with no issues.
    I move mine loaded but it can get heavy. No way wifey could move it.

I've had mine for a year running 100% of the time. I used a DC outlet from Amazon and not ARBs. So far it has worked without issue. I also leave the AC plug dangling out the back because it is plugged into a shoreline at home and work. 50qt has been perfect for the wife and I. And I keep several water bottles for the dog. It is the best money spent on the jeep. I may be biased being Houston and having a cold drink is always justified at any time here except for the 5 days a year it gets "cold". Mine sits 9 inches higher due to the shelf I made. I've unloaded it fairly full a couple times. It's heavy but not impossible. I wouldn't wanna do it regularly. I don't have a slider only the bag and straps. It takes a up a lot of space but we just spend more time picking what we actually need and where it should go. It has been worth every penny despite its large size. I will get a small bag cooler for ice since my preferred drink is rum and coke. Only downside to it as a fridge. I haven't used it as a freezer but I do keep it at 30 or 32.

I just went through this dilemma. I finally bit the bullet a while back and got the 50qt. Used it a couple weeks ago...and it was awesome!

I'm guessing you normally take a cooler with ice for wheeling/camping trips? So you have a cooler no matter what, just replace that space with a fridge. Weight isnt that much different than a cooler with ice. But it is a little heavier. It has sturdy handles, so you and the wife could easily pick it up.

If you get the ARB, get the wiring kit from ARB. If you don't want the ARB slide, look at the dometic one. Half the price.
    I think I may consider lifting my Jeep. Or not.
    The Evolution of ENVY

Go 50 and buy the wiring kit if the screw in connection is worth $50 to you, otherwise just make your own. Either way, you need a dedicated plug.
    Jeep parts and accessories purchased through the following link will help support this forum and at no cost to you.

50qt. Can't believe I waited 5 years to buy mine.

2012 Dozer JK
    -Dynatrac PR44/Rubicon Rear
    -Nitto 37” Trail Grapplers
    -Rock Krawler 2.5” Lift
    -ATX Slabs
    -Warn VR8
    -EVO Armor/Bumpers

2012 Billet Silver JKUR
    -EVO DTD front and rear
    -Dynatrac PR60/PR80
    -EVO High Clearance Long Arm
    -Nitto 40” Trail grapplers
    -KMC Machetes
    -JE Reel 1410/1350 Driveshafts
    -Warn CTI 9.5
    -EVO Armor/Bumpers

1975 DJ5

I've been using a 60 for about a year now. It holds a TON of stuff. I can lift it loaded, but it holds a lot. Absolutely the best jeep-accessory, hands down! Get yourself a good quality battery and use at least 12ga or heavier wire. The ARB wire kit is nice, it's fused and has a screw-together type of plug instead of the low-current 12volt type. The factory JK wiring is NOT adequate to run the ARB.

That dude from Mississippi notnalc68's Avatar
    The 50 is only 3" taller

Build Thread-- http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?3...l-II-The-Deuce

Page 1 of 30 12311 ... LastLast