Warn winch

JKEmmy

Well alright then. The first few wraps looked compressed so I wasnt sure if warn came pre tensioned. Thanks for the heads up.

zimm

Caught the Bug
I had to do mine in a cul-de-sac, wrapped around a fire hydrant with the parking brake on, solo. My point is, no matter what, you can figure how to tension the cable and wind it on. Don't forget the abrasion sleeve before you bolt on the cable. I did and it's still on the shelf. :doh:

Judesign

Caught the Bug
I had to do mine in a cul-de-sac, wrapped around a fire hydrant with the parking brake on, solo. My point is, no matter what, you can figure how to tension the cable and wind it on. Don't forget the abrasion sleeve before you bolt on the cable. I did and it's still on the shelf. :doh:

Lol That could’ve been a hell of a thing to explain had it gone wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

WJCO

Meme King
I can honestly say that everytime I've used my winch on the trail, I have not restretched the rope afterwards and it's still worked the next time that I used it. I do use the crisscross method though.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I can honestly say that everytime I've used my winch on the trail, I have not restretched the rope afterwards and it's still worked the next time that I used it. I do use the crisscross method though.

Yup, this ^^^^ :yup:

WJCO

Meme King
^ rookie (me)... what’s the Cross Cross method? My winch is in the box awaiting my bumper.

Instead of layering the rope row on top of row in a parallel pattern, cross it diagonally over and over. So when it's under pressure, the top layer of the rope won't sink into the layer below it. Otherwise it will tangle and is a pain to fix. It doesn't look as pretty, but it works.

Here's photos showing the difference:

IMG_20171223_154432_679.jpg

warn-89305-zeon-8s-winch-front-no-remote.jpg

Last edited:

wjtstudios

Hooked
Instead of layering the rope row on top of row in a parallel pattern, cross it diagonally over and over. So when it's under pressure, the top layer of the rope won't sink into the layer below it. Otherwise it will tangle and is a pain to fix. It doesn't look as pretty, but it works.

Here's photos showing the difference:

View attachment 287242

View attachment 287243

I have never heard of that, but it makes a whole lot of sense. So when you are spoiling in, it looks like you arm moving the line back and forth quickly to get it to set at a 45 degree angle? The as you come back over it it is the opposite angle on top of it. Right?

WJCO

Meme King
I have never heard of that, but it makes a whole lot of sense. So when you are spoiling in, it looks like you arm moving the line back and forth quickly to get it to set at a 45 degree angle? The as you come back over it it is the opposite angle on top of it. Right?

I was with someone last year that had a rope sink into the layer below and it took him a long time and a lot of strength to untangle it. That's when I started spooling my line in a crisscross.

It's near impossible to obtain a perfect 45 degree angle, but you just do your best and keep an eye on the rope. As you crisscross it, basically just visualize in your mind what the rope would be doing if you were actually pulling and you'll be spooling it in just fine. You just don't want each top layer in a position where it would sink to the lower layer while you're pulling with it on a trail.

wjtstudios

Hooked
I was with someone last year that had a rope sink into the layer below and it took him a long time and a lot of strength to untangle it. That's when I started spooling my line in a crisscross.

It's near impossible to obtain a perfect 45 degree angle, but you just do your best and keep an eye on the rope. As you crisscross it, basically just visualize in your mind what the rope would be doing if you were actually pulling and you'll be spooling it in just fine. You just don't want each top layer in a position where it would sink to the lower layer while you're pulling with it.

Now I have another item to add to my list of things to get wrapped up! Thank you, that is great info.

SJCJK

Instead of layering the rope row on top of row in a parallel pattern, cross it diagonally over and over. So when it's under pressure, the top layer of the rope won't sink into the layer below it. Otherwise it will tangle and is a pain to fix. It doesn't look as pretty, but it works

Awesome, thanks WJCO! Learn something new everytime I’m on here.

WJCO

Meme King
Awesome, thanks WJCO! Learn something new everytime I’m on here.

Happy to pass it along. I can't take credit for the idea, first time I heard about it was from someone on this forum awhile back but can't remember who. It's good info.

BdugJK

hoping to swap out my steel cable for a synthetic soon. Glad I took a look at this as I would have wrapped it like my steel line. Thanks for the info WJCO

FallonJeeper

You do realize that while it looks good, in theory, when you are actually winching, you won't be able to wrap the line like that. You'll still need to un-pinch and reel your winch line out and re-do it when you're done.

I'm sure it prevents the line from pinching and working it's way all the way to the drum.

Wouldn't this 45 degree wrap also make the winch line wrap so thick that it hits winch frame? I'll have to look at mine.

JeepinLife

Caught the Bug
You do realize that while it looks good, in theory, when you are actually winching, you won't be able to wrap the line like that. You'll still need to un-pinch and reel your winch line out and re-do it when you're done.

I'm sure it prevents the line from pinching and working it's way all the way to the drum.

Wouldn't this 45 degree wrap also make the winch line wrap so thick that it hits winch frame? I'll have to look at mine.

Sure it helps when it comes time to unspool it.. then what's run in the spool will be packed tight on top of the weave.. it does work

Top Bottom