Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: RECOMMENDED BUY : TEKTON 1/2-Inch Drive Click Torque Wrench

Quote Originally Posted by dima24 View Post
    I bought the 10 - 150 ft. lbs. of torque version by accident. Is there anything on the Jeep that needs more than 150 ft lbs of torque? I can exchange it on Amazon if this larger one is necessary.
    Pinion nut.

--
    Build Thread - Adventures of Fiona - https://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=47407
    Build Thread: The Adventures of Fiona
    '08 JKR Rescue Green 2-Door

^^this^^

The pinion nut requires 225.

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
    1985 CJ8 Scrambler
    2015 JKU Rubicon AEV JK350
    1985 Jeep CJ8 Scrambler

RECOMMENDED BUY : TEKTON 1/2-Inch Drive Click Torque Wrench

Quote Originally Posted by dima24 View Post
    I bought the 10 - 150 ft. lbs. of torque version by accident. Is there anything on the Jeep that needs more than 150 ft lbs of torque? I can exchange it on Amazon if this larger one is necessary.
    Only things are the sector shaft bolt and pinions nuts if my memory serves me correctly
    Jeep parts and accessories purchased through the following link will help support this forum and at no cost to you.
    RECOMMENDED JEEP PARTS & ACCESSORIES

October 16, 2013, wednesday early evening, east of the pacific ocean, selectee for truly random and boring Parking lot photo of the moment grand platinum prize winner!

2011 JK
    EVO Bolt-on Coilovers, EVO 1/4 pounder w/ stinger, 37" Cooper STT Pros, PR44, and some EVO stuff

Awaiting install-
    On Order-
    Want list- Evo carrier and skins, PSC hydro assis

jlwrangler.com

Quote Originally Posted by cozdude View Post
    Only things are the sector shaft bolt and pinions nuts if my memory serves me correctly
    Sector shaft... I knew there was something else I had to go high on.

--
    Build Thread - Adventures of Fiona - https://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=47407

Quote Originally Posted by cozdude View Post
    Sector shaft... I knew there was something else I had to go high on.

--

Knows a Thing or Two Seahawkfan's Avatar

Looking to buy new trail tools

Need a little help choosing. Sockets 1/2 or 3/8 drive ? 6 or 12 point ? From what size to what size? Deep or standard ? Wrenches ratcheting or regular ? From what size to what size ? Looking to purchase both Metric and SAE. I like the idea of the roll-up pouch for the wrenches. And some suggestions on anything else I should have. Tekton seems to be the direction I am heading. Thank for the help.

Quote Originally Posted by Seahawkfan View Post
    Need a little help choosing. Sockets 1/2 or 3/8 drive ? 6 or 12 point ? From what size to what size? Deep or standard ? Wrenches ratcheting or regular ? From what size to what size ? Looking to purchase both Metric and SAE. I like the idea of the roll-up pouch for the wrenches. And some suggestions on anything else I should have. Tekton seems to be the direction I am heading. Thank for the help.
    Depends how far you wanna jump in and how much room you have. If you don’t realllly work on things you can get away with only 3/8 and regular wrenches. I use 6 points for everything unless you need a 12 pt (like hammering onto a rounded bolt head , or the rare 12pt headed bolt) 1/2” drives are bigger and beefier and if you plan on impacting the only option. You absolutely need some deeps, you can’t get a socket on a nut with the bolt in the way, and you need a short to fit on top of a bolt head in tight spaces. Ratchet wrenches are super nice but often have a bigger head and might not fit where you need them. I would not own “only” ratchet wrenches still need a full set regulars up to an 1”. But I love them for the common sizes like 8 10 and 13 but I wouldn’t call them necessary.

So to answer your question, get everything.

My old go to suggestion for starter kits was a 300ish piece craftsman mechanics set that has 1/4” 3/8” and 1/2” as well as a handful of wrenches for under 200 bucks and fill in the rest of your needs at harbor freight (or tekton, since you posted here and they’re a sponsor, you’ll find about half of their products come from same factory and are identical but color anyways)
    Now that craftsman sucks it’s harder to find a good full starter kit, I have the 225pc briefcase kit from harbor freight I keep in the Jeep and I like it a lot for it’s size and haven’t cracked a socket or jammed ratchet teeth yet, but it’s far from complete and skips some sizes. HF also carries a 301pc full mechanics set with trays, but it’s a bit overpriced for what it is and the case sucks, they have coupons though.

I would really suggest going back to one of eddies old posts or videos with a list for what he carries with him on trips it’s a good starting point for what tools you actually need to have vs. just getting a full set of everything because that gets expensive real quick.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

That dude from Mississippi notnalc68's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Seahawkfan View Post
    All of what you listed, eventually. 3/8” 12 point are basic, and a good place to start. You can do most of what you’ll need to do with that set.

Metric is what you’ll need on your Jeep, but I’d buy a set that comes with both. You’ll also need a set of combination wrenches. You will eventually see the need for 6 point, and deep sockets.

As to 1/2”, I wish I’d bought them long before I did. If you use your tools, you’ll see the need to make additions, but you don’t have to buy everything at once.

Follow this link:

https://wayalife.com/showthread.php/...ckets-Torx-etc

IMG_5884.jpg

Jeep parts and accessories purchased through the following link will help support this forum and at no cost to you.
    RECOMMENDED JEEP PARTS & ACCESSORIES

Knows a Thing or Two Seahawkfan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Snboarder113 View Post
    Depends how far you wanna jump in and how much room you have. If you don’t realllly work on things you can get away with only 3/8 and regular wrenches. I use 6 points for everything unless you need a 12 pt (like hammering onto a rounded bolt head , or the rare 12pt headed bolt) 1/2” drives are bigger and beefier and if you plan on impacting the only option. You absolutely need some deeps, you can’t get a socket on a nut with the bolt in the way, and you need a short to fit on top of a bolt head in tight spaces. Ratchet wrenches are super nice but often have a bigger head and might not fit where you need them. I would not own “only” ratchet wrenches still need a full set regulars up to an 1”. But I love them for the common sizes like 8 10 and 13 but I wouldn’t call them necessary.

So to answer your question, get everything.

My old go to suggestion for starter kits was a 300ish piece craftsman mechanics set that has 1/4” 3/8” and 1/2” as well as a handful of wrenches for under 200 bucks and fill in the rest of your needs at harbor freight (or tekton, since you posted here and they’re a sponsor, you’ll find about half of their products come from same factory and are identical but color anyways)
    Now that craftsman sucks it’s harder to find a good full starter kit, I have the 225pc briefcase kit from harbor freight I keep in the Jeep and I like it a lot for it’s size and haven’t cracked a socket or jammed ratchet teeth yet, but it’s far from complete and skips some sizes. HF also carries a 301pc full mechanics set with trays, but it’s a bit overpriced for what it is and the case sucks, they have coupons though.

I would really suggest going back to one of eddies old posts or videos with a list for what he carries with him on trips it’s a good starting point for what tools you actually need to have vs. just getting a full set of everything because that gets expensive real quick.

Quote Originally Posted by notnalc68 View Post
    All of what you listed, eventually. 3/8” 12 point are basic, and a good place to start. You can do most of what you’ll need to do with that set.

Metric is what you’ll need on your Jeep, but I’d buy a set that comes with both. You’ll also need a set of combination wrenches. You will eventually see the need for 6 point, and deep sockets.

As to 1/2”, I wish I’d bought them long before I did. If you use your tools, you’ll see the need to make additions, but you don’t have to buy everything at once.

Follow this link:

https://wayalife.com/showthread.php/...ckets-Torx-etc

IMG_5884.jpg

Thank you both for the detailed advice. Much appreciated .

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567