Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: RH 4x4 Sport Cage vs Evo Chromoly Sport Cage

RH 4x4 Sport Cage vs Evo Chromoly Sport Cage

I'm looking at improving the safety on my JKU. I know lots of people on here have experience with one or both of these cages. I've got an opportunity to buy a used RH 4x4 set up for a good price. But, I like the cleaner lines of the Evo cage.

any pros/cons of both would be greatly appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by TheGrendel View Post
    I'm looking at improving the safety on my JKU. I know lots of people on here have experience with one or both of these cages. I've got an opportunity to buy a used RH 4x4 set up for a good price. But, I like the cleaner lines of the Evo cage.

any pros/cons of both would be greatly appreciated.
    I've run both and can tell you that both are really nice. The EVO cage is easier to install and if you have a 2011-up JK, you'll have better visibility. I also think the EVO cage offers a more finished look without the interior trim and I personally like the position of the grab handles better. That being said, the RH cage is a solid cage with a nice classic look and in some ways, I like it in my 2007 JK because of it. Also, I've seen multiple Jeeps after rolling with the RH installed and it did it's job well. Not saying the EVO won't - I just haven't seen any JK with one installed roll or at least, not as of yet.

If ease of installation is a concern then the EVO kit may be the one you want to install. I have the RH cage and really like it. But getting the side pieces in requires you to figure out this weird push, jam, twist and shove maneuver that honestly, you just have to figure out on your own. The install video of theirs online where it just drops right in? Yeah, well that shit ain't happening It's kinda like figuring out that bent nails connected together trick. Once you figure how it works its a snap to do it over.
    Still, the quality of the RH is top notch and I do like the round bar design over the squared stock EVO uses. Honestly I'd probably do the RH cage again if I was doing another build because of that only. I have seen an EVO cage and like everything else EVO makes it's pretty damn sweet.
    https://wayalife.com/showthread.php/...build-of-Gruff

Gruff 2014 JKU Moneypit
    Badger 2019 JLUR waiting for scraps

Quote Originally Posted by Ddays View Post
    If ease of installation is a concern then the EVO kit may be the one you want to install. I have the RH cage and really like it. But getting the side pieces in requires you to figure out this weird push, jam, twist and shove maneuver that honestly, you just have to figure out on your own. The install video of theirs online where it just drops right in? Yeah, well that shit ain't happening It's kinda like figuring out that bent nails connected together trick. Once you figure how it works its a snap to do it over.
    Still, the quality of the RH is top notch and I do like the round bar design over the squared stock EVO uses. Honestly I'd probably do the RH cage again if I was doing another build because of that only. I have seen an EVO cage and like everything else EVO makes it's pretty damn sweet.
    haha, thanks for the tip.

That’s the next large mod on my list as well this winter. Is there any added wind noise from either? Do they both work easily with a hard top for the winters here in a Michigan?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app
    2015 JKU Rubicon AEV JK350
    1985 Jeep CJ8 Scrambler

Quote Originally Posted by wjtstudios View Post
    That’s the next large mod on my list as well this winter. Is there any added wind noise from either? Do they both work easily with a hard top for the winters here in a Michigan?

No wind noise that I've noticed with the RH kit. You may have to notch out the Freedom Panels where the knuckle attaches to the factory bar a tad. I had to do that on one side. Looks like the EVO kit fits just fine too.

EDIT: Note - something to watch for if you are running a hardtop and looking at the RH kit: Be sure to not overtighten the knuckles on the top crossbar. I did and it pinched the windshield frame just enough that it caused my freedom tops to leak air. It was so bad I had to use black Gorilla Tape to cut the wind from getting in. Pissed me off so much I took the damn top off & now only run the soft top. (Wish I would have done that from the beginning anyways.)

RH kit.jpg
    Last edited by Ddays; 08-14-2018 at 06:23 PM.
    https://wayalife.com/showthread.php/...build-of-Gruff

Gruff 2014 JKU Moneypit
    Badger 2019 JLUR waiting for scraps

The EVO is chromoly, and so is stronger than the steel RH uses. But at the end of the day, both are just add ons to the stock cage, which is what provides the main rollover protection.

Quote Originally Posted by Ddays View Post
    No wind noise that I've noticed with the RH kit. You may have to notch out the Freedom Panels where the knuckle attaches to the factory bar a tad. I had to do that on one side. Looks like the EVO kit fits just fine too.

EDIT: Note - something to watch for if you are running a hardtop and looking at the RH kit: Be sure to not overtighten the knuckles on the top crossbar. I did and it pinched the windshield frame just enough that it caused my freedom tops to leak air. It was so bad I had to use black Gorilla Tape to cut the wind from getting in. Pissed me off so much I took the damn top off & now only run the soft top. (Wish I would have done that from the beginning anyways.)

RH kit.jpg
    Got it. I’ll make sure to keep that in mind this winter.

2015 JKU Rubicon AEV JK350
    1985 Jeep CJ8 Scrambler

Been running RH for years and really like it. No experience with EVO but I do like the lines. When I installed my RH I you my time and did a test fit first. After all looked great I powder coated it and put back in. You will have to trip your freedom panels on the inside a little. Does not cause any wind noise. It is just a fitment issue around the knuckle. When completely installed you cannot even tell.

If I had to do it again I would go RH.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using WAYALIFE mobile app
    2013 JK Unlimited Rubicon
    Bright White
    Hardtop
    4.10-Auto

Modifications so far: EVO LEVEL, LOD Rock Rails, Rock Hard oil/trans skid, Rock Hard Sport Cage, Drake hood latches, Truck-lite LED Headlights, Rigid Dually D2 LED's, DIY Grill Inserts, CB, Spiderweb Shade, Poison Spyder Diff. Covers.

Build Thread (SLOW) - http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?2...r-build-thread

If EVO had gone with round bars, I'd use theirs, but since they don't, I'll be using the Rock Hard when the time comes for a cage for Fiona.

--
    Build Thread - Adventures of Fiona - https://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=47407
    Build Thread: The Adventures of Fiona
    '08 JKR Rescue Green 2-Door

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast