VIDEO : How to Drive & Steer a JK Wrangler with a Broken Sector Shaft

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
This is actually an video clip that Cindy and I made a few years back but got lost and forgotten about on one of our old YouTube channels. Anyway, being that there's been renewed interest in sector shafts and what to do if you're ever unlucky enough to have one break on you, I thought it'd be good to post it up again and on our main WAYALIFE channel. With that said...

This WAYALIFE SHORT was filmed out on the Rubicon Trail a few years back and in it, you will see how I was able to get our friend Brian moving again after his Jeep JK Wrangler suffered a sector shaft break on Cadillac Hill. While it isn't a perfect solution, you'll see how I was able to attach his winch to the steering knuckle and use it to provide just enough steering control to get him rolling and to a point where we could free up traffic and make real repairs. I hope you enjoy.

:cool:

WJCO

Meme King
Wow, that really sucks. In the future, you can still get your Jeep to steer but you will need to have a winch. It's slow going but I've done it.

Good luck with the swap.

That's pretty impressive. Where is the winch hook attached to? Just anywhere secure on the knuckle?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
That's pretty impressive. Where is the winch hook attached to? Just anywhere secure on the knuckle?

You pull the drag link and hook up to the knuckle. It's super helpful to have a small D-ring that you can attach to it but a long bolt will work too.

Man that’s pretty slick, not sure I’ve seen that before. Like your playing a video game

LOL!! Pretty much - that or using an old school tethered RC car :crazyeyes:

Man that was a long day.

:cheesy: Long, wet and cold by that night. :crazyeyes:

TrailHunter

Hooked
You pull the drag link and hook up to the knuckle. It's super helpful to have a small D-ring that you can attach to it but a long bolt will work too.

It seemed like you had control left to right.... Do the wheels naturally want to turn a specific direction no matter what?.... then you pull/release as needed?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
It seemed like you had control left to right.... Do the wheels naturally want to turn a specific direction no matter what?.... then you pull/release as needed?

They go the path of least resistance. You pull them the other way when needed.

What Overlander said. On that particular section of trail, the Jeep was wanting to pull to the right do to the incline. I was just keeping it straight and making left turn movements. If needed, we would have swapped the winch to the other side.

fiend

Caught the Bug
What Overlander said. On that particular section of trail, the Jeep was wanting to pull to the right do to the incline. I was just keeping it straight and making left turn movements. If needed, we would have swapped the winch to the other side.

That’s pretty cool.

jdofmemi

That's a never give up attitude.

I haven't used a winch to steer, but have used it to hold the axle in place when the main and second leaf spring broke, and the drivers side tire ended up under the door.

RockinAZJK

Caught the Bug

So for if I ever (hopefully not) needed to use this did you have a place that you would have hooked in on the left?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

JAGS

Hooked
Wow, that really sucks. In the future, you can still get your Jeep to steer but you will need to have a winch. It's slow going but I've done it.

Good luck with the swap.

Ah man, that was one hell of an end to the trip. Walk the dog trick was pretty crazy to watch unreal time. Fn genius!

Top Bottom