VIDEO : How to Drive & Steer a JK Wrangler with a Broken Sector Shaft

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
That’s pretty cool.

Thanks. Glad I could share this with you.

That is an awesome trick. Gonna try to file that one away for future emergencies [emoji482]

Well, with any luck, it'll never be something you have to use. :yup:

Cool trick!

Wow that’s crazy. Wouldn’t of thought of that in a million years.

Crazy what necessity will get you to think of. :yup:

That's a never give up attitude.

I haven't used a winch to steer, but have used it to hold the axle in place when the main and second leaf spring broke, and the drivers side tire ended up under the door.

Yup, gotta do what you gotta do. :cool:

Man that is pretty impressive. Great information now I know if this ever happens to me or anyone else’s I wheel with.

Well, hopefully you'll never need to have a use for this knowledge. It still sucks no matter what.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
that was pretty ingenious...

So for if I ever (hopefully not) needed to use this did you have a place that you would have hooked in on the left?

You can attach your winch line to the tie-rod end - there's the adjuster clamp there to hold it in place.

Ah man, that was one hell of an end to the trip. Walk the dog trick was pretty crazy to watch unreal time. Fn genius!

LOL!! Just glad it worked :)

Book time: 101 Best Trail Rescues. but who really reads books anymore[emoji848]

LOL!! That's why we have YouTube now I guess. :crazyeyes:

Just another reason I love this form. Very smart and creative Eddie [emoji1303]

Glad I could share this with you :)

That’s a great temp fix!!

All we needed was to get Brian up to a point were we could make a real fix and clear the trail for the traffic behind us and it did. :yup:

MSJKU11

Caught the Bug
Man I hope this never happens but keeping this in case it does. Thanks for the helpful tips.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

zimm

Caught the Bug
What happened to the video link? Someone may have edited it out. It's a rainy day down here and I was going to get my "learn on".

Edit: Google found it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7FLiq2_N76Q

Edit 2: Okay I watched the video. I get that the winch can pull the steering in one direction, but how about the other way? When you slack the winch, what makes the tires go the other way?

Last edited:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
What happened to the video link? Someone may have edited it out. It's a rainy day down here and I was going to get my "learn on".

Edit: Google found it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7FLiq2_N76Q

Edit 2: Okay I watched the video. I get that the winch can pull the steering in one direction, but how about the other way? When you slack the winch, what makes the tires go the other way?

Sorry, I move my posts and the subsequent responses out of the other thread as it seemed to have hijacked it.

If you need to steer toward driver, you can hook up your winch line to the tie rod at the adjuster clamp.

DWiggles

Caught the Bug
Love this, Thanks for posting it back up. I'ed love to see a whole series on trail fixes. :thumb:

Top Bottom