Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: VIDEO - JL JOURNAL : Understanding the FAD - How the JL Front Axle Disconnect Works

Fresh Catch
    I have no sound so I didn’t watch the video right now. But based on what it looks like it reminded me of the vacuum disconnect on the xj in the 80’s is it the same concept? And if so how does it fair for over strength? Is it a new weak point. Sorry if these were addressed in the vid. I wonder if this is just a modern retry of an old technology.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Seems Logical.

Good informative short video, always appreciate Jim's expertise

Sent from my SM-N960U using WAYALIFE mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by notnalc68 View Post
    Too bad most people can’t figure out locking hubs. I guess, as Jim said, the FAD may be cheaper.

Quote Originally Posted by wayoflife View Post
    I think the bigger issue is that people are lazy. Most don't want to get out in the weather or the muck just to have 4WD. They just want to push a button and go. And really, I totally get it or at least, for most people. For us, Jeepers, it sucks to not have.
    Yeah I wish we had manual locking hubs on the JK. Due to front drive shaft failures we installed them on our old fire engines. It was awesome to completely disengage everything from spinning. I remember the first "on the fly" push button 4wd ads.

Question I have speaking of "on the fly" 4wd. If the axle shafts are spinning opposite directions when the FAD is in 2wd do you have to come to a complete stop to shift to 4wd on the JL?

Sent from my 2PYB2 using WAYALIFE mobile app

The Original Smartass piginajeep's Avatar
    Cool video. I can’t believe how big that is hanging off the axle 😳
    2012 JK8
    1958 FC170 (Jeep Forward Control)
    1953 M38A1

Quote Originally Posted by Andy5160 View Post
    Very nice and informative
    Is that your new axle being made at the end of the video
    As a matter of fact, this whole video series highlights the PR44JL that was being made for Jet

Quote Originally Posted by Suds1485 View Post
    I have no sound so I didn’t watch the video right now. But based on what it looks like it reminded me of the vacuum disconnect on the xj in the 80’s is it the same concept? And if so how does it fair for over strength? Is it a new weak point. Sorry if these were addressed in the vid. I wonder if this is just a modern retry of an old technology.
    Yup, same thing as the old CAD from long ago only, instead of using vacuum to make it work, there is an electrical motor. Is it a weak point? Well, so far, it hasn't been or at least in terms of how it works.

Quote Originally Posted by benatc1 View Post
    Good informative short video, always appreciate Jim's expertise
    Glad to hear you found this video to be informative. We always love working with Jim being that he has so much knowledge to share.

Quote Originally Posted by jesse3638 View Post
    Yeah I wish we had manual locking hubs on the JK. Due to front drive shaft failures we installed them on our old fire engines. It was awesome to completely disengage everything from spinning. I remember the first "on the fly" push button 4wd ads.

Question I have speaking of "on the fly" 4wd. If the axle shafts are spinning opposite directions when the FAD is in 2wd do you have to come to a complete stop to shift to 4wd on the JL?
    Good question and the answer is no. There is a syncro in the transfer case that helps the FAD understand when it can engage. This is the reason why there was a lot of concern early on regarding what it would mean to get rid of the FAD.

Quote Originally Posted by piginajeep View Post
    Cool video. I can’t believe how big that is hanging off the axle 😳
    It's why skids are being made that go over the skid that comes from the factory

Good informative video.

If the FAD is as reliable as the JKR electronic sway bar, Dynatrac is going to make a bunch of money selling a manual “no limits” FAD knob.

Quote Originally Posted by fiend View Post
    Good informative video.

If the FAD is as reliable as the JKR electronic sway bar, Dynatrac is going to make a bunch of money selling a manual “no limits” FAD knob.

I see a delete kit, with one piece axle shafts and something to convince the computer that everything is OK

Quote Originally Posted by jdofmemi View Post
    I see a delete kit, with one piece axle shafts and something to convince the computer that everything is OK
    Yeah I can see that too. I wonder if "deleting" it and bolting or welding a 3/16-5/16" plate in its place would do anything for strength there.

Sent from my 2PYB2 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast