VIDEO - JL JOURNAL : Understanding the FAD - How the JL Front Axle Disconnect Works

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Good informative video.

If the FAD is as reliable as the JKR electronic sway bar, Dynatrac is going to make a bunch of money selling a manual “no limits” FAD knob.

I see a delete kit, with one piece axle shafts and something to convince the computer that everything is OK

What Jerry said. There are already 1-piece kits available now and I'm sure more are coming. A Tazer will be able to bypass the FAD too.

Yeah I can see that too. I wonder if "deleting" it and bolting or welding a 3/16-5/16" plate in its place would do anything for strength there.

I somehow doubt it but I'll bet someone comes out with something like it and or it being part of a truss.

Outrun

Excellent video!

Considering what Jeep does with everything else on the Rubicon you would think they'd just put some manual hubs on there. Save us all money in the long run.:crazyeyes:

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Very informative! Was always wondering what would happen if you got rid of the fad and how the computer would react. Glad to know you don’t need to do anything with the t case as well like dynatrac initially thought

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Excellent video!

Considering what Jeep does with everything else on the Rubicon you would think they'd just put some manual hubs on there. Save us all money in the long run.:crazyeyes:

I'm pretty sure Jeep did it for the bulk of people who'll buy even a Rubicon and never use it for what it's capable of. Most people who will use 4WD at sometime or another even have a hard time with shifting the transfer case.

Very informative! Was always wondering what would happen if you got rid of the fad and how the computer would react. Glad to know you don’t need to do anything with the t case as well like dynatrac initially thought

It really is a good thing too. If that were the case, it would have made doing an axle swap a lot more time consuming and expensive.

Informative and concise...mahalo

Glad to hear it :)

fiend

Caught the Bug
I'm pretty sure Jeep did it for the bulk of people who'll buy even a Rubicon and never use it for what it's capable of. Most people who will use 4WD at sometime or another even have a hard time with shifting the transfer case.

Right? We should be thankful Jeep still makes them with a TC lever and not just a button on the dash like most 4wd vehicles these days.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Right? We should be thankful Jeep still makes them with a TC lever and not just a button on the dash like most 4wd vehicles these days.

That's how it's like on pretty much every other Jeep made including the Cherokee. The fact that we still have a mechanical transfer case lever is nothing short of amazing to me.

nbunga

Caught the Bug
That's how it's like on pretty much every other Jeep made including the Cherokee. The fact that we still have a mechanical transfer case lever is nothing short of amazing to me.

As far as I know the wrangler is the only vehicle left with the T/C lever. In the states at least.

jdofmemi

Give me a lever. At least when you are a hundred miles from nowhere, you can fix it when it don't work.

I would rather have hubs too. Give me options so I can get back when things go wrong.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Give me a lever. At least when you are a hundred miles from nowhere, you can fix it when it don't work.

I would rather have hubs too. Give me options so I can get back when things go wrong.

I hear ya. It actually frustrates me that the automatic shift lever on the JL is drive by wire. :rolleyes2:

jdofmemi

I hear ya. It actually frustrates me that the automatic shift lever on the JL is drive by wire. :rolleyes2:

It also don't seem right how the manual shift mode is either.

In the JK, right and left to shift, then if you need reverse, especially in a hurry, it is straight forward.

Now, on the JL, you have to move the lever to the side for manual, then if reverse is needed, you have to go back to the auto mode before moving forward to reverse.

If you were in a bad spot, and need reverse NOW, it will not be easy.

rubiDave

I'm enjoying all of your JL videos, even though I'll probably never own one. I think it's good to stay abreast of technology and other improvements. I average about 20 years between vehicles. My 2014 JK is a big come-upance electronics wise from my 99 Chevy, as it was from my 76 Ramcharger. Who knows what's going to be around in the 2030s, though by then I may be looking for a hoveround.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom