Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Service your driveshafts... and everything else for that matter!!!

Thatís some serious damage! Iíll definitely be checking mine tomorrow afternoon. Grease gun in hand!

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Knows a Thing or Two Slimebones's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jdofmemi View Post
    After reading this thread, I'm thinking my shafts need to come out sooner than later for an inspection and lube.
    FYI, I grease my double cardan zerks like three times a year. Been running them for about three years now. Adam's with solid nongreasable ujoints. 1310. They have held up very well considering I am not too kind to them. ie: some pretty good abuse on our recent trip to Moab. I plan to replace them soon with 1350's hoping my luck does not run out.

Quote Originally Posted by Slimebones View Post
    Yeah, something to note here. Something like this gradually gets worse with time, and not a sudden change, therefore seems almost normal. Kinda like your kids growing up, and all of a sudden you notice they are as tall as you! We probably all need to keep an eye on maintenance more than we do before it gets out of hand. Glad you caught it before it failed.
    My problem wasnít related to dry U joints. All the joints flexed easily and had no excessive play. The problem was the run out on the main shaft tube. That was caused by a hard hit on something. I donít think it was Moab, because I had the vibration on the way out. More probably it happened on one of my recent ventures to Big Bear.

Regularly greasing the joints is a good idea, but most people arenít going to detect a run out problem just by looking at it. I could feel vibrations, which is why I brought it in. Sometimes you need to turn down the tunes and listen to what your Jeep is telling you.

Knows a Thing or Two Slimebones's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by fiend View Post
    My problem wasnít related to dry U joints. All the joints flexed easily and had no excessive play. The problem was the run out on the main shaft tube. That was caused by a hard hit on something. I donít think it was Moab, because I had the vibration on the way out. More probably it happened on one of my recent ventures to Big Bear.

Regularly greasing the joints is a good idea, but most people arenít going to detect a run out problem just by looking at it. I could feel vibrations, which is why I brought it in. Sometimes you need to turn down the tunes and listen to what your Jeep is telling you.

Service Your Shaft!

Anybody still unsure about the grease fitting on an Adams front DS. Jack the driver's front wheel off the ground a bit. Rotate until you can see the fitting at 9:00 inside the rear portion of the cardan. Every oil change @ 3k.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    HAPPYTRAILS

Nothing but a Thing RESURECTIONJK's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rmilobrown View Post
    Anybody still unsure about the grease fitting on an Adams front DS. Jack the driver's front wheel off the ground a bit. Rotate until you can see the fitting at 9:00 inside the rear portion of the cardan. Every oil change @ 3k.
    Super helpful. This is exactly why hers failed. Shop sheíd been taking it to was missing this spot.

Nothing but a Thing nmwranglerx's Avatar
    This may be a stupid question but, if the joints are non-greaseable, what type of service is a shop able to do? My Adams appears to be of the solid variety.

"all roads lead somewhere" -anonymous

Nothing but a Thing RESURECTIONJK's Avatar

Service your driveshafts... and everything else for that matter!!!

Quote Originally Posted by nmwranglerx View Post
    This may be a stupid question but, if the joints are non-greaseable, what type of service is a shop able to do? My Adams appears to be of the solid variety.

Not a stupid question at all. A good shop will still inspect the u-joints and center ball joint for wear and advise if they need to be rebuilt. Making sure they are balanced and the slip shafts are in good shape is also worth having them do. The non-greaseable shafts have a ďlifetimeĒgrease. But that is kind of a miss understanding as all grease will break down. But the grease in them does last longer so in theory they can go longer intervals. But on the Jk or at least ones with factory style axles the front shaft is always turning which we all know, and the greater the drive line angle the more wear itís going to see.

Iím no expert and I am basing all of this on what Iíve seen personally and a small sample size of what Iíve seen in the shops that Iíve worked in. There are expert out there that can explain it much better than I and, more accurately as well.
    Last edited by RESURECTIONJK; 04-26-2019 at 01:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RESURECTIONJK View Post
    Not a stupid question at all. A good shop will still inspect the u-joints and center ball joint for wear and advise if they need to be rebuilt. Making sure they are balanced and the slip shafts are in good shape is also worth having them do. The non-greaseable shafts have a ďlifetimeĒgrease. But that is kind of a miss understanding as all grease will break down. But the grease in them does last longer so in theory they can go longer intervals. But on the Jk or at least ones with factory style axles the front shaft is always turning which we all know, and the greater the drive line angle the more wear itís going to see.

Iím no expert and I am basing all of this on what Iíve seen personally and a small sample size of what Iíve seen in the shops that Iíve worked in. There are expert out there that can explain it much better than I and, more accurately as well.
    A bad U joint usually is fairly evident to an ordinary person. If the flex is crunchy that suggests the grease is gone. If the joint is excessively floppy and loose, that suggests wear. In either case, you just replace it before it fails.

Potential problems that would be less evident to an ordinary person include determining how much play in the splines is too much, and whether the shaft has too much runout. Those are things a drive shaft shop can help with.

Quote Originally Posted by fiend View Post
    A bad U joint usually is fairly evident to an ordinary person. If the flex is crunchy that suggests the grease is gone. If the joint is excessively floppy and loose, that suggests wear. In either case, you just replace it before it fails.

Potential problems that would be less evident to an ordinary person include determining how much play in the splines is too much, and whether the shaft has too much runout. Those are things a drive shaft shop can help with.

Can you explain runout? I do feel I have an understanding, but I'm sure I'm not the only one who could use a lesson. Thanks.

Sent from my 2PYB2 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast