Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 76

Thread: Service your driveshafts... and everything else for that matter!!!

  1. #51
    Hooked kep01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    tennessee
    Posts
    248
    Thatís some serious damage! Iíll definitely be checking mine tomorrow afternoon. Grease gun in hand!


    Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

  2. #52
    Knows a Thing or Two Slimebones's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Front Range, Colorado
    Posts
    970
    Quote Originally Posted by jdofmemi View Post
    After reading this thread, I'm thinking my shafts need to come out sooner than later for an inspection and lube.
    FYI, I grease my double cardan zerks like three times a year. Been running them for about three years now. Adam's with solid nongreasable ujoints. 1310. They have held up very well considering I am not too kind to them. ie: some pretty good abuse on our recent trip to Moab. I plan to replace them soon with 1350's hoping my luck does not run out.

  3. #53
    Old Timer fiend's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    3,027
    Quote Originally Posted by Slimebones View Post
    Yeah, something to note here. Something like this gradually gets worse with time, and not a sudden change, therefore seems almost normal. Kinda like your kids growing up, and all of a sudden you notice they are as tall as you! We probably all need to keep an eye on maintenance more than we do before it gets out of hand. Glad you caught it before it failed.
    My problem wasnít related to dry U joints. All the joints flexed easily and had no excessive play. The problem was the run out on the main shaft tube. That was caused by a hard hit on something. I donít think it was Moab, because I had the vibration on the way out. More probably it happened on one of my recent ventures to Big Bear.

    Regularly greasing the joints is a good idea, but most people arenít going to detect a run out problem just by looking at it. I could feel vibrations, which is why I brought it in. Sometimes you need to turn down the tunes and listen to what your Jeep is telling you.


    Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

  4. #54
    Knows a Thing or Two Slimebones's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Front Range, Colorado
    Posts
    970
    Quote Originally Posted by fiend View Post
    My problem wasnít related to dry U joints. All the joints flexed easily and had no excessive play. The problem was the run out on the main shaft tube. That was caused by a hard hit on something. I donít think it was Moab, because I had the vibration on the way out. More probably it happened on one of my recent ventures to Big Bear.

    Regularly greasing the joints is a good idea, but most people arenít going to detect a run out problem just by looking at it. I could feel vibrations, which is why I brought it in. Sometimes you need to turn down the tunes and listen to what your Jeep is telling you.


    Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

  5. #55
    Hooked rmilobrown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    Az
    Posts
    198

    Service Your Shaft!

    Anybody still unsure about the grease fitting on an Adams front DS. Jack the driver's front wheel off the ground a bit. Rotate until you can see the fitting at 9:00 inside the rear portion of the cardan. Every oil change @ 3k.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    HAPPYTRAILS

  6. #56
    Nothing but a Thing RESURECTIONJK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    SALT LAKE CITY, UTAH
    Posts
    1,404
    Quote Originally Posted by rmilobrown View Post
    Anybody still unsure about the grease fitting on an Adams front DS. Jack the driver's front wheel off the ground a bit. Rotate until you can see the fitting at 9:00 inside the rear portion of the cardan. Every oil change @ 3k.
    Super helpful. This is exactly why hers failed. Shop sheíd been taking it to was missing this spot.

  7. #57
    Nothing but a Thing nmwranglerx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Albuquerque, NM
    Posts
    1,124
    This may be a stupid question but, if the joints are non-greaseable, what type of service is a shop able to do? My Adams appears to be of the solid variety.


    Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app
    "all roads lead somewhere" -anonymous

  8. #58
    Nothing but a Thing RESURECTIONJK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    SALT LAKE CITY, UTAH
    Posts
    1,404

    Service your driveshafts... and everything else for that matter!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by nmwranglerx View Post
    This may be a stupid question but, if the joints are non-greaseable, what type of service is a shop able to do? My Adams appears to be of the solid variety.


    Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app
    Not a stupid question at all. A good shop will still inspect the u-joints and center ball joint for wear and advise if they need to be rebuilt. Making sure they are balanced and the slip shafts are in good shape is also worth having them do. The non-greaseable shafts have a ďlifetimeĒgrease. But that is kind of a miss understanding as all grease will break down. But the grease in them does last longer so in theory they can go longer intervals. But on the Jk or at least ones with factory style axles the front shaft is always turning which we all know, and the greater the drive line angle the more wear itís going to see.

    Iím no expert and I am basing all of this on what Iíve seen personally and a small sample size of what Iíve seen in the shops that Iíve worked in. There are expert out there that can explain it much better than I and, more accurately as well.
    Last edited by RESURECTIONJK; 04-26-2019 at 01:42 PM.

  9. #59
    Old Timer fiend's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    3,027
    Quote Originally Posted by RESURECTIONJK View Post
    Not a stupid question at all. A good shop will still inspect the u-joints and center ball joint for wear and advise if they need to be rebuilt. Making sure they are balanced and the slip shafts are in good shape is also worth having them do. The non-greaseable shafts have a ďlifetimeĒgrease. But that is kind of a miss understanding as all grease will break down. But the grease in them does last longer so in theory they can go longer intervals. But on the Jk or at least ones with factory style axles the front shaft is always turning which we all know, and the greater the drive line angle the more wear itís going to see.

    Iím no expert and I am basing all of this on what Iíve seen personally and a small sample size of what Iíve seen in the shops that Iíve worked in. There are expert out there that can explain it much better than I and, more accurately as well.
    A bad U joint usually is fairly evident to an ordinary person. If the flex is crunchy that suggests the grease is gone. If the joint is excessively floppy and loose, that suggests wear. In either case, you just replace it before it fails.

    Potential problems that would be less evident to an ordinary person include determining how much play in the splines is too much, and whether the shaft has too much runout. Those are things a drive shaft shop can help with.


    Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

  10. #60
    Addict jesse3638's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Apple Valley, CA
    Posts
    5,053
    Quote Originally Posted by fiend View Post
    A bad U joint usually is fairly evident to an ordinary person. If the flex is crunchy that suggests the grease is gone. If the joint is excessively floppy and loose, that suggests wear. In either case, you just replace it before it fails.

    Potential problems that would be less evident to an ordinary person include determining how much play in the splines is too much, and whether the shaft has too much runout. Those are things a drive shaft shop can help with.


    Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app
    Can you explain runout? I do feel I have an understanding, but I'm sure I'm not the only one who could use a lesson. Thanks.

    Sent from my 2PYB2 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Made in USA? Does it matter?
    By chitown35 in forum Jeepin Life
    Replies: 35
    Last Post: 01-20-2017, 06:13 PM
  2. Does Size Really Matter?
    By bonedaddy in forum General Off-Road Tech
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-29-2015, 07:10 PM
  3. Does size really matter?
    By Tranquillity in forum Wheels & Tires
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 09-18-2013, 04:58 PM
  4. Compliments that matter
    By NHAkita in forum Jeepin Life
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-05-2012, 07:43 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
About us
ďwayoflifeĒ is a moniker that Iíve been using for 20 years now and I chose it because I think it does a great job of explaining, in simple terms, the passion I have for Jeeps and the Jeep way of life. This is a lifestyle that transcends age, gender and race as the only thing you need to be a part of it is a love for the outdoors, a desire to explore, a yearning to take on a challenge and a will to conquer it. Over the years, Cindy and I have attempted to capture the essence of this lifestyle through photographs and videos and share it with others around the world. And, this is how WAYALIFE was born.
Join us
WATCH OUR VIDEOS