Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Motech LS Swap Gremlins

Motech LS Swap Gremlins

Half way to Moab with the family and itís been an interesting trip so far. This is the first long trip since getting the JK back with the Motech LS swap. I have been meaning to start a build thread as there are so many little details that I feel like are worth documenting for others to know about. A few of those have crept up on the first day of the trip.

First, for anyone with the Motech kit or looking at the Motech kit, youíll probably know that the OEM gas pedal is cut down and the GM pedal is installed next to it. The stub of the OEM pedal remains and a metal wedge is inserted so that itís always fully depressed. To clear the oil change reminder, you will have to pull the wedge so that you can depress the pedal 10 time. MAKE SURE TO REPLACE THE METAL WEDGE. Itís a pain in the ass to put back in but it makes things behave weird (chime at 2500 rpm, wacky computer readings for gas mileage, etc) without it in there. Iím talking with John at Overland Performance and heís going to be designing a better widget for this.

Also, I have been having issues with overheating. I did the Camaro SS fan hoping this wouldnít be an issue. Iím thinking that the overload breaker for the fan may be undersized and that the breaker is getting tripped under heavy load, shutting off the fan. Or, maybe my winch partially blocking the grill could be playing a part.

Wondering if anyone on here with the Motech kit and a LS3 or L94 with the Camaro SS fan is having the same issues. Iím guessing the factory vehicles that run these motors (Escalade, Yukon, etc) run much bigger radiators and have larger grills for better air flow.

Sorry youíre having issues. I havenít seen how your front end is set up but sounds like the winch needs to be sitting lower. Trans cooler may be in a bad spot. Fan programming is probably all fucked up. Could also be a shitty thermostat. I recommend changing it to a Lingenfelter 160*.

Donít worry too much about the wedge. That shit doesnít do anything important anyways. The chime at 2500 is probably more associated with the Jeep computer looking for an rpm signal that doesnít exist anymore.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Thanks for the reply, Bubba. Took this picture yesterday (John asked the same thing about the front end). I may need to lower the winch. I was hoping that wouldnít be the case.
    IMG_0857.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by SLO View Post
    Thanks for the reply, Bubba. Took this picture yesterday (John asked the same thing about the front end). I may need to lower the winch. I was hoping that wouldnít be the case.
    IMG_0857.jpg
    Yeah I would get a bumper thatíll allow the winch to sit lower. I program the fans here to run at 40% at 203-206 because we have decent humidity and temps in the summer are normally around 100. Itís nearly impossible to control the engine temperature in that type of environment without turning up the fan. Try adding Water Wetter or an equivalent. They have it at Autozone. It MIGHT help.

probably want remove those grill inserts as well. they don't help and are often detrimental.

Quote Originally Posted by Exodus Jeeps View Post
    Yeah I would get a bumper thatíll allow the winch to sit lower. I program the fans here to run at 40% at 203-206 because we have decent humidity and temps in the summer are normally around 100. Itís nearly impossible to control the engine temperature in that type of environment without turning up the fan. Try adding Water Wetter or an equivalent. They have it at Autozone. It MIGHT help.
    What Bubba said ^^^^ Your winch is blocking too much of your grill. I know it'd be a pain but remove it just for a test and you'll see that you get lower numbers.

Caught the Bug
    A different situation but relate-able, I had the same issue with a Warn Zeon 10s mounted right where yours is on a S/C 3.8. I would hit 3/4 on the temp gauge on long hills and when it was 90+ when I was in boost for more than a few seconds. I ended up with the Genright Bumper designed to work with the Zeon winch recessed between the frame rails. I will say that it was much cheaper when I bought it a few years back.

https://genright.com/products/jk-low...-aluminum.html

It opened up the airflow to both the inter cooler and radiator dramatically. Thermostat needle never moves beyond half now even running AC under boost in 90+ weather.

Motech LS Swap Gremlins

Quote Originally Posted by Ajkaz View Post
    . I would hit 3/4 on the temp gauge on long hills and when it was 90+ when I was in boost for more than a few seconds. .
    A different situation but relate-able.

IMG_8025.jpg

RECOMMENDED JEEP PARTS & ACCESSORIES

2012 Dozer JK
    -Dynatrac PR44/Rubicon Rear
    -Nitto 37Ē Trail Grapplers
    -Rock Krawler 2.5Ē Lift
    -ATX Slabs
    -Warn VR8
    -EVO Armor/Bumpers

2012 Billet Silver JKUR
    -EVO DTD front and rear
    -Dynatrac PR60/PR80
    -EVO High Clearance Long Arm
    -Nitto 40Ē Trail grapplers
    -KMC Machetes
    -JE Reel 1410/1350 Driveshafts
    -Warn CTI 9.5
    -EVO Armor/Bumpers

1975 DJ5

Quote Originally Posted by OverlanderJK View Post
    A different situation but relate-able.

IMG_8025.jpg

I actually didn't know the gas pedal was cut and a new one was placed next to it. I know it sounds stupid, but I am waaaaay too OCD for that shit. Seriously, that is the kind of detail that would make me go with a Hemi even if it weighed more and didn't have as much aftermarket support.
    Last edited by Sharkey; 06-26-2019 at 02:14 AM.
    Jeep parts and accessories purchased through the following link will help support this forum and at no cost to you.
    RECOMMENDED JEEP PARTS & ACCESSORIES

Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast