Page 1 of 20 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Steering wheel wobble sometimes full on death wobble 19 JLUR

Steering wheel wobble sometimes full on death wobble 19 JLUR

Iím really at a loss and looking for something. I have a 19 JLUR and Iíve been fighting a steering wheel shimmy to full on death wobble. It only happens at slow speeds when hitting a bump with just one tire or both when itís not dead on the bump. Iíd say up to 35 mph. It requires me to slow to about 5-10 mph to get it to stop and mainly only happens when itís cold. Hereís what Iíve done so far to defeat this really annoying issue. Itís been happening for months now off and on. Iíve tightened the balljoints, replaced the draglink, tierod, Trackbar, power steering pump, steering box, checked wheel bearings, control arms, checked alignment caster 6.6 6.8 degrees toe is set in 1/8Ē, tires are balanced. The whee is smooth until it starts. I have done the stabilizer recall twice, AD then AE part numbers. This one is so frustrating because everything is tight on the jeep. The lift has 10k miles on it. Iím at 4Ē of lift. It all just started one day around 9k miles on the jeep. Before that it was solid all the time. Does anyone have any ideas? Iím honestly at a loss now. Iím wondering if the frame is actually flexing and causing it. The frame is so much thinner on a JL then a JK. Iím at this point just guessing but would love some ideas or input. I might try an aftermarket stabilizer and the synergy Trackbar brace next but at this point Iím just throwing money at a problem.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE
    Not "living" but "loving" life always!

Quote Originally Posted by bkac View Post
    Iím really at a loss and looking for something. I have a 19 JLUR and Iíve been fighting a steering wheel shimmy to full on death wobble. It only happens at slow speeds when hitting a bump with just one tire or both when itís not dead on the bump. Iíd say up to 35 mph. It requires me to slow to about 5-10 mph to get it to stop and mainly only happens when itís cold. Hereís what Iíve done so far to defeat this really annoying issue. Itís been happening for months now off and on. Iíve tightened the balljoints, replaced the draglink, tierod, Trackbar, power steering pump, steering box, checked wheel bearings, control arms, checked alignment caster 6.6 6.8 degrees toe is set in 1/8Ē, tires are balanced. The whee is smooth until it starts. I have done the stabilizer recall twice, AD then AE part numbers. This one is so frustrating because everything is tight on the jeep. The lift has 10k miles on it. Iím at 4Ē of lift. It all just started one day around 9k miles on the jeep. Before that it was solid all the time. Does anyone have any ideas? Iím honestly at a loss now. Iím wondering if the frame is actually flexing and causing it. The frame is so much thinner on a JL then a JK. Iím at this point just guessing but would love some ideas or input. I might try an aftermarket stabilizer and the synergy Trackbar brace next but at this point Iím just throwing money at a problem.

Sounds like exactly what's going on with Doubletapdaddy's. He's checked everything and is really frustrated about it for sure. : https://jlwrangler.com/showthread.ph...ll=1#post54979

What lift are you running?
    Jeep parts and accessories purchased through the following link will help support this forum and at no cost to you.
    RECOMMENDED JEEP PARTS & ACCESSORIES

Support the JL forum: JLWRANGLER.COM

Jeep JT GLADIATOR FORUM: www.JT-Gladiator.com

Honestly, it's everyone. Mel has it, Doubletapdaddy has it, you have it and now that it's been getting really cold out, we seem to have it again too. I just picked up a Synergy track bar frame mount brace to see if that'll help things out.

Isn't this the one for sale?

Quote Originally Posted by wayoflife View Post
    Honestly, it's everyone. Mel has it, Doubletapdaddy has it, you have it and now that it's been getting really cold out, we seem to have it again too. I just picked up a Synergy track bar frame mount brace to see if that'll help things out.
    As far as you and Mel, On the JL or JT ?
    Jeep parts and accessories purchased through the following link will help support this forum and at no cost to you.
    RECOMMENDED JEEP PARTS & ACCESSORIES

Support the JL forum: JLWRANGLER.COM

Jeep JT GLADIATOR FORUM: www.JT-Gladiator.com

Quote Originally Posted by WJCO View Post
    As far as you and Mel, On the JL or JT ?
    On the JL. I thought I had licked this problem but yesterday, I took my JL out to run some errands and had DW. Granted, it's the first time the temps have been down in the 30's in quite some time. Not sure why cold seems to make such a difference but it does. I've been hearing from lots of JL owners who have the same problem too.

I should note that I am no longer running the Rancho track bar. Also, I did find that the OE stabilizer did a much better job at dampening than the new Fox one I have now. Just throwing that out there for data.

Quote Originally Posted by Ddays View Post
    Isn't this the one for sale?
    Yes Iím selling it, I thought I had it fixed with the new steering box but it happened again yesterday. Thatís another reason Iím trying to get to the bottom of it. It just started getting cold again and itís now happening more often.

Quote Originally Posted by wayoflife View Post
    I should note that I am no longer running the Rancho track bar. Also, I did find that the OE stabilizer did a much better job at dampening than the new Fox one I have now. Just throwing that out there for data.
    I grabbed a new style OEM Trackbar last week and swapped it to see if it made a difference from my RK one that everything is tight on. Whatís odd is if you pull the stabilizer and move it by hand it has a bit of movement before it gets tight almost like thereís air. Durham mentioned taking a steering ram and coupling the two ports together and bleed the air out. He said it makes a solid stabilizer. But we all know itís just masking the real issue.

Quote Originally Posted by WJCO View Post
    Sounds like exactly what's going on with Doubletapdaddy's. He's checked everything and is really frustrated about it for sure. : https://jlwrangler.com/showthread.ph...ll=1#post54979

What lift are you running?
    I have a 3.5Ē RK with 3/4Ē daystar isolators. All new control arms and trackbars. Iíve had someone tell me that the drop brackets really help with this issue and also going longarm. Iím down for trying anything but donít want to keep throwing wasted money and no fixes. I was told the arms really like being flat on the JL idk just grasping for answers.

Page 1 of 20 12311 ... LastLast