Steering wheel wobble sometimes full on death wobble 19 JLUR

Ddays

Hooked
Is this issue limited to lifted JL's or are stock guys having this issue as well? Mine hasn't been effected to date..

bkac

Caught the Bug
Is this issue limited to lifted JL's or are stock guys having this issue as well? Mine hasn't been effected to date..

I think the recalled steering stabilizer is masking the issue If the jeep is left in stock form.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

ckor

Had dirty life beadlocks cooper stt pros 37x13.5x17. SteerSmarts full setup. Rancho dual stabilizer. Ok but shook at 55mph. Put on AEV wheels bfg km3’s 37x12.5x17, synergy tie rod, rancho trackbar and fox adjustable ats stabilizer for JK. Still shook at 55mph. Replaced ball joints. Rides like Cadillac. Everything was replaced at different times due to one part not working/fitting with another. To much to type and my thumb is tired. Could it be box and knuckles? Ball joints seemed to make the best difference. Had 60,000 miles on first set. Had wobble in beginning but stabilizer (rancho) covered that up. I know stabilizers cover something up but I’m out of money for the moment and no one makes ball joints or knuckles yet that I know of.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

bkac

Caught the Bug
Had dirty life beadlocks cooper stt pros 37x13.5x17. SteerSmarts full setup. Rancho dual stabilizer. Ok but shook at 55mph. Put on AEV wheels bfg km3’s 37x12.5x17, synergy tie rod, rancho trackbar and fox adjustable ats stabilizer for JK. Still shook at 55mph. Replaced ball joints. Rides like Cadillac. Everything was replaced at different times due to one part not working/fitting with another. To much to type and my thumb is tired. Could it be box and knuckles? Ball joints seemed to make the best difference. Had 60,000 miles on first set. Had wobble in beginning but stabilizer (rancho) covered that up. I know stabilizers cover something up but I’m out of money for the moment and no one makes ball joints or knuckles yet that I know of.

Mine doesn’t shall at all driving down the road or even at 90, it’s only when I hit a bump at slower speeds especially with just one tire it decides to go crazy and only if it’s on the colder side of things. So strange. Yes I’d definitely buy some cast knuckles if they were out even if it didn’t fix the problem. I’m tired of constantly tightening the ball joints when they start clicking.

ckor

The coldest it’s gotten here is about 34. I’m hoping it keeps driving the way it is but not hopeful. I love the jeep but damn the steering sucks

WiscoHR

I’ve been dealing with the same thing since last winter. Steering wheel will shake every time I hit a bump around town. Dealership has been putting a new stabilizer on at every oil change. It usually would stop it for about a week. But since I got the last one during the recall I haven’t had the shakes. I know it’s just masking it but I got sick of chasing it. I have about 5k miles on this last stabilizer and it’s still not shaking. But would definitely like to find the real issue. But it’s just started to get cold in WI so we will see what happens over the next few weeks.

wjtstudios

Hooked
25k as of this morning. I bought in Feb. I'm only running 35's on a Rubicon with no lift at the moment. The lift is pending but now? May wait til Summer!!

You’ve have put a ton of miles on that already. You’re as bad as I am.

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

bkac

Caught the Bug
Glad I bought another JK instead of a JL. I’ll wait out these issues. Lol

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

Yeah I’m starting to wonder. I drove a buddies JK tonight about 50 miles and was like man this thing steers nice. Lol
I remember saying that when my JL was brand new. [emoji20]

Ddays

Hooked
Seems the most likely culprit is the electric steering pump at this point. Is anyone with a hydro steering setup experiencing this?

I’m not overly familiar with the jl steering system but I would be interested in putting a pressure gauge in the system and comparing cold/hot pressures. As well as a volt and amp test to the electric motor cold and hot.

Heholua

Yes they do with the factory steering box and pump. Mel was starting to experience it on the JLX.

Seems the most likely culprit is the electric steering pump at this point. Is anyone with a hydro steering setup experiencing this?
I would agree that it is most likely the steering pump. A lot of people have changed almost every part of the steering components and still have it. Factory steering pump seems to be the common link.

Sent from my SM-G950U using WAYALIFE mobile app

bkac

Caught the Bug

I’m thinking we’re onto something and as long as you’re on factoryish tires and wheels the new stabilizer masks the issue but as soon as you go to a larger tire and deeper wheel all he’ll breaks loose. I may try the newest steering pump version that Mopar has now released to see if it goes back to when it was new.

Heholua

I’m thinking we’re onto something and as long as you’re on factoryish tires and wheels the new stabilizer masks the issue but as soon as you go to a larger tire and deeper wheel all he’ll breaks loose. I may try the newest steering pump version that Mopar has now released to see if it goes back to when it was new.

All we need to confirm the theory is get someone who has been experiencing DW to install one of the PSC big bore boxes and see if it goes away. I dont know if I'd trust a new revised Mopar pump.

Sent from my SM-G950U using WAYALIFE mobile app

Last edited:

WJCO

Meme King
Still seems strange to me that death wobble would occur with any pump issue. The pump just adds assist. So even if failed completely, it seems to me that the steering would just be hard, but not shaking back and forth :idontknow:

When a hydraulic pump fails, the jeep loses power steering assist and the wheel is hard to turn but doesn't shake.

For those of you who get full death wobble, does it go away on its own after a few occillasions or do you have to slow down to make it stop?

Top Bottom