Steering wheel wobble sometimes full on death wobble 19 JLUR

jdofmemi

I’m not overly familiar with the jl steering system but I would be interested in putting a pressure gauge in the system and comparing cold/hot pressures. As well as a volt and amp test to the electric motor cold and hot.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

I have been thinking about the same thing.

Maybe the fluid volume shrinks enough in the cold that it draws in air which will leave slop in things.

The "special" fluid may be making it worse, or it may be keeping it from being even worse.

I think going with hydro assist, like PSC, may be the only fix for any of them on 37s or larger.

All this crap may be caused by trying to squeeze the last tenth of a mile of fuel economy out of it. You can buy a lot of gas for the cost of the fix.

bkac

Caught the Bug
All we need to confirm the theory is get someone who has been experiencing DW to install one of the PSC big bore boxes and see if it goes away. I dont know if I'd trust a new revised Mopar pump.

Sent from my SM-G950U using WAYALIFE mobile app

I just looked. It seems PSC sells just a kit to convert the pump only with a cooler. I’m gonna call then in the morning and see if it works with the factory steering gearbox. Maybe that’s the next step in the troubleshooting.

bkac

Caught the Bug
Still seems strange to me that death wobble would occur with any pump issue. The pump just adds assist. So even if failed completely, it seems to me that the steering would just be hard, but not shaking back and forth :idontknow:

When a hydraulic pump fails, the jeep loses power steering assist and the wheel is hard to turn but doesn't shake.

For those of you who get full death wobble, does it go away on its own after a few occillasions or do you have to slow down to make it stop?

I have to slow down or jerk the wheel back and fourth really hard but I have thought about your theory. What gets me is it’s temperature sensitive. In the JLX when I’d leave the hotel in the morning it was so bad, after hard wheeling and getting back out on the road with it warmed up it was like driving a new jeep with zero steering wheel shakes. The fluid would be hot at this point. I would even have it where there was no power steering the first few turns out of the parking lot.

bkac

Caught the Bug
I have been thinking about the same thing.

Maybe the fluid volume shrinks enough in the cold that it draws in air which will leave slop in things.

The "special" fluid may be making it worse, or it may be keeping it from being even worse.

I think going with hydro assist, like PSC, may be the only fix for any of them on 37s or larger.

All this crap may be caused by trying to squeeze the last tenth of a mile of fuel economy out of it. You can buy a lot of gas for the cost of the fix.

No joke. A $3k fix what a joke. I’m wondering if just swapping the pump to a belt drive manual PSC pump and the factory box is enough.

Ddays

Hooked
I’m thinking we’re onto something and as long as you’re on factoryish tires and wheels the new stabilizer masks the issue but as soon as you go to a larger tire and deeper wheel all he’ll breaks loose. I may try the newest steering pump version that Mopar has now released to see if it goes back to when it was new.

Yeah, I'm on 35's with no lift yet but plans to go up a size in the near future. Thankfully I've not experienced any of this to date. I may put those plans on hold until I see how this plays out.

bkac

Caught the Bug
The wife called this morning and said she was in the side of the road because the steering wheel was shaking worse then ever before and making her nervous to drive it now. This morning it was 10 degrees outside. Don’t destroy me for asking but has anyone tried a dual steering stabilizer setup like skyjackers for a temporary solution? I need done kind of temp solution. I’m thinking I’m going to try a PSC pump and big bore box next. Constantly driving it with DW can’t be good on the bushings, balljoints and anything else.

WJCO

Meme King
The wife called this morning and said she was in the side of the road because the steering wheel was shaking worse then ever before and making her nervous to drive it now. This morning it was 10 degrees outside. Don’t destroy me for asking but has anyone tried a dual steering stabilizer setup like skyjackers for a temporary solution? I need done kind of temp solution. I’m thinking I’m going to try a PSC pump and big bore box next. Constantly driving it with DW can’t be good on the bushings, balljoints and anything else.

That sucks. The final straw on our WJ for adding a 2nd stabilizer was that same phone call from the wife. I get it. (It's since been fixed properly). But we drove around with a 2nd stabilizer for a year just so we could drive it. Hope you get it fixed soon.

bkac

Caught the Bug
That sucks. The final straw on our WJ for adding a 2nd stabilizer was that same phone call from the wife. I get it. (It's since been fixed properly). But we drove around with a 2nd stabilizer for a year just so we could drive it. Hope you get it fixed soon.

Thanks me too!

jdofmemi

Since this seems to get worse with the cold weather, has anyone tried turning back and forth at a slow roll a number of times to heat the fluid up?

Just trying to figure out if it is that, or is it something to do with the bushings?

bkac

Caught the Bug
Since this seems to get worse with the cold weather, has anyone tried turning back and forth at a slow roll a number of times to heat the fluid up?

Just trying to figure out if it is that, or is it something to do with the bushings?

I swear it’s the pump. I’ve tried that but it seems it needs to get hotter then that. I just ordered a dual RC steering stabilizer setup and also going to swap out the pump for the updated factory one and see if that fixes it. I know the day I thought I’d go to a dual stabilizer as a temp fix blows my mind.

alf1096

I swear it’s the pump. I’ve tried that but it seems it needs to get hotter then that. I just ordered a dual RC steering stabilizer setup and also going to swap out the pump for the updated factory one and see if that fixes it. I know the day I thought I’d go to a dual stabilizer as a temp fix blows my mind.

I am assuming this is on your dime. Will the dealer not help due to all the modifications.

ckor

I put the rancho dual stabilizer on mine and it did work. Many changes since then but I definitely wouldn’t try to drive it with a cheap stabilizer at this point. Seems that is the only thing at the moment that makes it drive good

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

bkac

Caught the Bug
I am assuming this is on your dime. Will the dealer not help due to all the modifications.

No they will help me out. They ordered a pump, it’s about a week out.

bkac

Caught the Bug
I put the rancho dual stabilizer on mine and it did work. Many changes since then but I definitely wouldn’t try to drive it with a cheap stabilizer at this point. Seems that is the only thing at the moment that makes it drive good

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

I am going to wait and see what the new pump does.

Clifford98

I’m just curious is anyone experiencing this on the 2020 model? I’m looking into picking one up in the next couple weeks and am curious if they possibly solved this for 2020 because I heard they made some minor fixes to some of the issues people were having.

bkac

Caught the Bug
I’m just curious is anyone experiencing this on the 2020 model? I’m looking into picking one up in the next couple weeks and am curious if they possibly solved this for 2020 because I heard they made some minor fixes to some of the issues people were having.

That’s a good question but honestly it’s not really a problem if it stays stock after the V41 recall. They found a way to mask the bigger issue. I hope it’s fixed but I highly doubt it. I think it has to do with a lot of weight savings and the fuel mileage goals they wanted to meet. I’d say just plan on an upgraded steering with bigger tires. I’m sure this issue will grow over the years. I wouldn’t let it scare you from buying one though. [emoji1360]

Clifford98

That’s a good question but honestly it’s not really a problem if it stays stock after the V41 recall. They found a way to mask the bigger issue. I hope it’s fixed but I highly doubt it. I think it has to do with a lot of weight savings and the fuel mileage goals they wanted to meet. I’d say just plan on an upgraded steering with bigger tires. I’m sure this issue will grow over the years. I wouldn’t let it scare you from buying one though. [emoji1360]

Whats the fun in keeping it stock? But it won’t discourage me from buying one but I’m definitely going to make sure I’m putting some miles on it while it’s still stock and I guess I’ll just be ready to have to upgrade steering as well when I lift it.

BlueRubicon

Caught the Bug
Honestly, it's everyone. Mel has it, Doubletapdaddy has it, you have it and now that it's been getting really cold out, we seem to have it again too. I just picked up a Synergy track bar frame mount brace to see if that'll help things out.

Eddie, after you installed the Synergy tierod, drag link and stabilizer, that didn't cure it? You are posting 10/28 so I guess it's rhetorical.
I was looking into doing what you did. However I may wait. I don't get death wobble but do experience steering wheel moving rapidly at about 48mph. I think it's the 37" Cooper STT's. It didn't do it until I put them on.

Top Bottom