Time for my Gladiator to Evolve: My '20 Billet Silver JT Rubicon Build

highoctane

Caught the Bug
A few months ago I picked up my '20 Billet Silver Gladiator Rubicon. It has just over 1k miles on it now, and I love it. But after wheeling it stock it needs alot to be the Jeep I really want.

Since I plan to run 37" tires without lifting the Jeep sky high, the first stage of the build will include a Evo Mfg 2.5" Stage 4 Plus suspension kit. I haven't decided on shocks yet, but I'm leaning towards the Fox 2.0 shocks that are similar to the stock Rubicon JT shocks. As for wheels and tires, I just ordered the KMC XD232 Robby Gordon bead lock wheels in satin black. I'm still undecided on tires, they will be Nitto 37/12.50/17 for sure. Either the Ridge Grappler or Trail Grappler. Eventually I plan to install the Evo Mfg bolt on coilovers front and rear, and the Stage 4 Plus suspension kit is a good starting point to prepare for that, since it includes all 8 control arms as well as front and rear adjustable track bars. But, I'll drive it for a year or so on the spring and shock suspension until I'm ready to upgrade.

I'm planning on leaving the steering and axles stock for now until something fails and requires an upgrade. I live on the east coast now in southern PA where the wheeling generally sucks compared to out west, confined to running trails in privately owned offroad parks. So if I break an axle shaft or something else, all i really need to do is make it back to the parking lot.

I've got lots on order already, and the build will start once I get home to the USA in a week. I'll be doing everything myself on this one, since no cutting or welding is required on anything.

Here's the before pics.

IMG_3957.jpg
IMG_3956.jpg

For those of you unfamiliar, these are the KMC XD232 Robby Gordon bead lock wheels. It's a 17" x 9" wheel with 3.5" of back spacing. They look amazing, and I love that they aren't on what seems to be literally every Jeep out there, like the KMC Machete bead locks.

Screen Shot 2019-12-13 at 1.08.05 AM.jpg

Not sure if I'll be home ij the USA for it, but I really want to take this thing out to EJS to experience it at least once. I lived in AZ for 6 years and never was able to find time to go. Hopefully it happens in 2020.

My first few posts will be off some small upgrades I've made since buying this Jeep back in September.

Looking forward to getting this Jeep built and out on the trails!

Last edited:

highoctane

Caught the Bug
The first mod I did before hitting the trails was a beefier FAD skid plate from Evo Mfg. With the FAD being a new thing, I at least wanted to do what I could to keep that area protected.

IMG_3731.jpg IMG_3730.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_3728.jpg
    IMG_3728.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 427

highoctane

Caught the Bug
My Jeep came with a plastic front bumper. Last month I got a great deal on a JL Rubicon steel bumper. I like the way the Rubicon bumper looks, and I'll run it until I have a reason to get something beefier. Instead of spending a bunch of money on a skid plate for the steel bumper, I instead chose to just rotate the sway bar disconnect motor. It tucked it up pretty well. Eventually I might trim the steel skid plate that came on my Jeep with the plastic bumper, but right now I don't see a need to.

IMG_3955.jpg

bmkrinne

Beautiful truck for sure!

Do you notice any pull to one side with the new trail grapplers? I’ve been thinking about a set of them as well but hear talk of a pull to the left with them. Sharp looking tire for sure!

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

mac214

Do you notice any pull to one side with the new trail grapplers? I’ve been thinking about a set of them as well but hear talk of a pull to the left with them. Sharp looking tire for sure!

I have 35x11.5 Trail Grapplers with no pull at all. Really happy with them so far. Only at about 850 miles on them and my JTR.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

highoctane

Caught the Bug

I still have the stock wheels and tires on my Jeep. I’m still waiting on all the parts to show up.

Clutch

Caught the Bug

The pull doesn’t usually show up until there’s about 25-30k on them.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

bmkrinne

Thanks for all the replies guys and sorry for the hijack!!!

Can’t wait to see this JT with the new shoes!

highoctane

Caught the Bug
The first of 4 wheels was delivered yesterday. Still waiting on the other 3. Just ordered the Evo Mfg Enforcer Stage 4 Plus suspension kit from Exodus Jeeps. Since I do plan on running coilovers eventually, I'm going to use the front and rear shock extension brackets from Evo Mfg, and just use the OEM Fox 2.0 shocks that came on my JT Rubicon.

I'm ordering the tires from Discount Tire Direct tomorrow. After watching a bunch of videos and reading all kinds of reviews, I'm think of going with the Trail Grapplers instead of the Ridge Grapplers. I live in PA, so a lot of the wheeling I'll do will be on wet rocks similar to conditions that the '19 JT/JL Experience encountered. I'm not so sure the Ridge Grapplers would be the best tire for those conditions when compared to the Trail Grapplers. I could care less about the street manner differences between the two.

Top Bottom