Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Driveshaft question

Driveshaft question

Iím shopping for a new front driveshaft right now. All the grease fell out of my stock one. I see Adams offers one with a new pinion yoke and also one that will bolt up directly to the stock pinion flange. Is there any advantage of getting one over the other, besides the obvious of not having to mess with removing your pinion nut and flange. Itís not much of a price difference to matter either way.

Quote Originally Posted by nbunga View Post
    Iím shopping for a new front driveshaft right now. All the grease fell out of my stock one. I see Adams offers one with a new pinion yoke and also one that will bolt up directly to the stock pinion flange. Is there any advantage of getting one over the other, besides the obvious of not having to mess with removing your pinion nut and flange. Itís not much of a price difference to matter either way.
    First off, if you can find a local driveline shop, I would HIGHLY recommend you give them your business. I guarantee you that you'll use them again for rebalancing if nothing else and I'd be willing to bet that you can save a TON of money using them as well. That being said, the benefits of changing out the pinion to a yoke is that you can run a slightly longer drive shaft and that will reduce the chances of you having vibrations. The benefit of keeping the factory flange is that you don't have to worry about things like over crushing the crush sleeve.

Quote Originally Posted by wayoflife View Post
    First off, if you can find a local driveline shop, I would HIGHLY recommend you give them your business. I guarantee you that you'll use them again for rebalancing if nothing else and I'd be willing to bet that you can save a TON of money using them as well. That being said, the benefits of changing out the pinion to a yoke is that you can run a slightly longer drive shaft and that will reduce the chances of you having vibrations. The benefit of keeping the factory flange is that you don't have to worry about things like over crushing the crush sleeve.
    Thanks, Iíll probably just swap out the yoke then, not a big deal since Iíve done the gears myself before. Iíd rather lessen my chances any vibrations.

As far as a local shop goes Iíd much rather do that. We have a good driveline shop in town, but Iím pretty sure Iíve been told that they want quite a bit more than any of the online vendors to build one for a Jeep. Iíll have to check into it first hand though. Iíd much rather go back to the guys that made them for any future balancing or maintenance.

Yea I think your lucky Eddie on the price youíre paying for your drive shaft. My local shop quoted me around $800 to $1000

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE
    2016 JKU

Quote Originally Posted by Edwrds View Post
    Yea I think your lucky Eddie on the price youíre paying for your drive shaft. My local shop quoted me around $800 to $1000

Maintenance at my local shop is cheap plus he's helped me out a few times now without charging me. His price for a 1350 front is comparable to the big online builders so I'm more than happy to use him.

Sent from my SM-G973U using WAYALIFE mobile app

My local guy is cheaper than the online guys too. Not by a big margin but I don't have to pay shipping and that adds up quick. And there is no magic in building driveshafts. Just be sure to ask for the style and size u-joints you want.
    https://wayalife.com/showthread.php/...build-of-Gruff

Gruff 2014 JKU Moneypit
    Badger 2019 JLUR waiting for scraps

Andy, there are at least 2 places here that build them so at least you can compare them to each other

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Hooked
    Quote Originally Posted by Edwrds View Post

Yup, when I wanted my work done, it was 40% more to use the local driveline guys. I even told them i would have to do it through online and they didn't seem to care. I would rather spend local, but not paying 40% higher.
    2017 White JK : (build thread)
    Synergy 3"/2", Dynatrack Trail Leader Package
    Dynatrac Pro Grip Kit, PSC Big Bore Steering Kit
    MCE Fenders, 10th Anniversary Hood, Borla Climber Exhaust
    ATX Slabs, Nitto Trail Grappler 37's
    Shrock Works Front Middy, LoD Destroyer Rear
    Genright Sliders, Warn VR12-S ,

Oh yeah, and VENGEANCE.

Nothing but a Thing Snboarder113's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Torrin View Post
    Yup, when I wanted my work done, it was 40% more to use the local driveline guys. I even told them i would have to do it through online and they didn't seem to care. I would rather spend local, but not paying 40% higher.
    Did you check with your local truck shops? Most if not all semi shops that do in house shafts will do smaller ones as well. Or they can refer you to where they send theirs.

Quote Originally Posted by Snboarder113 View Post
    Did you check with your local truck shops? Most if not all semi shops that do in house shafts will do smaller ones as well. Or they can refer you to where they send theirs.

This is where I take mine to. They do a lot of heavy equipment and trucks, but also do the smaller stuff as well. I think a lot of people don't think to stop there and go to garages and smaller shops instead.
    I know garages send a lot of their stuff to the place I go to.
    https://wayalife.com/showthread.php/...build-of-Gruff

Gruff 2014 JKU Moneypit
    Badger 2019 JLUR waiting for scraps

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast