Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 100

Thread: Gladiator lackluster sales??

  1. #1
    Fresh Catch
    Join Date
    Nov 2019
    Location
    MD
    Posts
    8

    Gladiator lackluster sales??

    Does anyone have any opinions on these articles?? As soon as winter is over I plan on selling my truck then buying a gladiator late September or early October (hunting season comes back in). But I have been seeing a few articles saying the gladiators have been selling poorly since the initial early hype rush is over. Dealerships are offering insane discounts now even though it seems they are on sport or overland trims. I get the impression people aren't impressed that they sold aprox 40,000 units. But with the truck coming out in what April/May of 19? I feel that to be pretty impressive. I mean there are a lot of trucks in the segment. I did not think Jeep would pull that many away from Toyota or Chevy. And you still have the frontier, ridgline, and ranger. And pulling away from that many wrangler sales. Does anyone for foresee jeep ever dropping msrp on these or would they just make certain options standard features? I went to the motortrend auto show in Baltimore over the weekend particularly to see the gladiator without having a salesman hovering over me, and there were always people surrounding it. I heard a ton of mixed opinions on it. Seemed like people either loved it or hated it and not many in between's. I can agree though with people that when I buy one I will be purchasing a Rubicon, they just look so much better with the highline fenders and hood vs the sport right off the bat, but thats just my opinion. To me the sports just look so disproportionate. It will hold me over from buying a lift right away. Just throw on some wheels and 35's. You get a lot of extra features in the Rubicon to me for a good price over the sport s if you plan on doing the same upgrades down the road. Everyone I heard talking at the autoshow and reading comments on autoblog, or motortrend, jalopnik, youtube, etc that dislike the truck say its not a real truck, when in reality it has the best towing, in class/payload/most interior room, best offroad capability (except for the not so great breakover angle). But even the break over angle doesnt seem much of an issue watching videos on youtube. I mean its a midsize its not gonna have the same towing and payload features as full size, what are people expecting. I want one for some occasional offroad/camping trips and just being able to take the top and doors off. Its like having a wrangler with a truck bed. I use to have a wrangler but sold it for my f150. And I have regretted selling it everyday since.I always told myself if jeep ever released a truck based off a wrangler I would buy one and the time has come. Any thoughts on any of this?? Particularly bout supposed low sales and high price tags? I mean they are expensive after you put some options in it. You can get a ram2500 or f250 for the same price. I understand its a completely diff class, but seriously its a heavy duty vs a midsize at the end of the day.

    https://www.autoblog.com/2020/02/10/...ts-incentives/

    https://jalopnik.com/the-jeep-gladia...ing-1841569645

    https://www.tfltruck.com/2020/01/202...counts-report/

  2. #2
    Old Timer fiend's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    3,956

    Gladiator lackluster sales??

    Itís a niche vehicle with a fairly high price tag. Sales volume numbers are not going to be high. I think MSRP will continue to be high but youíll see discounts and other incentives.


    Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

  3. #3
    Living the WAYALIFE Ddays's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Darlington, Pa
    Posts
    10,157
    Quote Originally Posted by fiend View Post
    Itís a niche vehicle with a fairly high price tag. Sales volume numbers are not going to be high. I think MSRP will continue to be high but youíll see discounts and other incentives.


    Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app
    That seems to be the truck game. Load em up with features and then discount the shit outta them.
    https://wayalife.com/showthread.php/...build-of-Gruff

    Gruff 2014 JKU Moneypit
    Badger 2019 JLUR waiting for scraps

  4. #4
    Nothing but a Thing 2nd.gunman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Brisbane, Australia
    Posts
    2,431
    Itís different to the rest of the segment. People always complain different.


    Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

  5. #5
    Knows a Thing or Two Jkzinger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Sahuarita, Arizona
    Posts
    961
    I predict itís demise in about 4 years.


    Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

  6. #6
    Addict wjtstudios's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Rochester, MI.
    Posts
    7,121

    Gladiator lackluster sales??

    Quote Originally Posted by Jkzinger View Post
    I predict itís demise in about 4 years.


    Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app
    I hope not, but thatís all the Scrambler was able to last with a few made in 86í.


    2015 JKUR AEV JK350
    1985 CJ8 Scrambler
    2015 JKU Rubicon AEV JK350
    1985 Jeep CJ8 Scrambler

  7. #7
    Nothing but a Thing nmwranglerx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Albuquerque, NM
    Posts
    1,200
    I hope prices do go down. Iíd love to have one.


    Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app
    "all roads lead somewhere" -anonymous

  8. #8
    Meme King WJCO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    29,502
    Quote Originally Posted by jwrangler15 View Post
    Does anyone have any opinions on these articles?? As soon as winter is over I plan on selling my truck then buying a gladiator late September or early October (hunting season comes back in). But I have been seeing a few articles saying the gladiators have been selling poorly since the initial early hype rush is over. Dealerships are offering insane discounts now even though it seems they are on sport or overland trims. I get the impression people aren't impressed that they sold aprox 40,000 units. But with the truck coming out in what April/May of 19? I feel that to be pretty impressive. I mean there are a lot of trucks in the segment. I did not think Jeep would pull that many away from Toyota or Chevy. And you still have the frontier, ridgline, and ranger. And pulling away from that many wrangler sales. Does anyone for foresee jeep ever dropping msrp on these or would they just make certain options standard features? I went to the motortrend auto show in Baltimore over the weekend particularly to see the gladiator without having a salesman hovering over me, and there were always people surrounding it. I heard a ton of mixed opinions on it. Seemed like people either loved it or hated it and not many in between's. I can agree though with people that when I buy one I will be purchasing a Rubicon, they just look so much better with the highline fenders and hood vs the sport right off the bat, but thats just my opinion. To me the sports just look so disproportionate. It will hold me over from buying a lift right away. Just throw on some wheels and 35's. You get a lot of extra features in the Rubicon to me for a good price over the sport s if you plan on doing the same upgrades down the road. Everyone I heard talking at the autoshow and reading comments on autoblog, or motortrend, jalopnik, youtube, etc that dislike the truck say its not a real truck, when in reality it has the best towing, in class/payload/most interior room, best offroad capability (except for the not so great breakover angle). But even the break over angle doesnt seem much of an issue watching videos on youtube. I mean its a midsize its not gonna have the same towing and payload features as full size, what are people expecting. I want one for some occasional offroad/camping trips and just being able to take the top and doors off. Its like having a wrangler with a truck bed. I use to have a wrangler but sold it for my f150. And I have regretted selling it everyday since.I always told myself if jeep ever released a truck based off a wrangler I would buy one and the time has come. Any thoughts on any of this?? Particularly bout supposed low sales and high price tags? I mean they are expensive after you put some options in it. You can get a ram2500 or f250 for the same price. I understand its a completely diff class, but seriously its a heavy duty vs a midsize at the end of the day.

    https://www.autoblog.com/2020/02/10/...ts-incentives/

    https://jalopnik.com/the-jeep-gladia...ing-1841569645

    https://www.tfltruck.com/2020/01/202...counts-report/
    Depends on the prospective buyer IMO. For the price and what else out there for the same price that can be obtained, absolutely the JT is expensive. But for someone who wants a 4 door Jeep and a truck, guess what? Nothing else out there unless you want a Brute conversion for even more $$$. I waited almost a year to order a Gladiator without a single test drive because I wanted one. And now that I own one, no regrets. Sounds like you may be in the same boat based on this comment:

    Quote Originally Posted by jwrangler15 View Post
    I always told myself if jeep ever released a truck based off a wrangler I would buy one and the time has come.
    Whenever I read articles like the ones above, I always ask myself 1)Who's writing them? 2)Who are they being written for? Again, I think it depends on the buyer.

    As far as the disproportionate look on the Sports in comparison to the Rubicon trim, I totally agree. But I just threw a hood sticker and a set of 35s on mine with no lift and I think it's a 180 from stock. I love the look. And I'm in 20k-ish cheaper than a Rubicon. Granted, I'm not using it for rock crawling, etc.

    Quote Originally Posted by jwrangler15 View Post
    I heard a ton of mixed opinions on it. Seemed like people either loved it or hated it and not many in between's.
    I've owned some fun unique vehicles over the years, but I don't think any vehicle I've owned has brought forth the attention this one has. My wife and I constantly have stories of people we ran into and what they said just from every day driving. We've categorized it into 3 groups:

    1) People that don't have a clue what it is and have a ton of questions.
    2) People that know exactly what it is and like it, but still have a ton of questions (even asking to take pictures of the inside).
    3) People that know exactly what it is and DON'T like it, yet still want to look it over checking out every detail.

    It's been 30 years since Jeep released a truck and a 4 door truck at that. So it's pretty unique and special. Not sure if you can really put it in a comparison market to anything else out there. Oh and it still has solid axles, so there's that too.
    Jeep parts and accessories purchased through the following link will help support this forum and at no cost to you.
    RECOMMENDED JEEP PARTS & ACCESSORIES



    Support the JL forum: JLWRANGLER.COM

    Jeep JT GLADIATOR FORUM: www.JT-Gladiator.com

  9. #9
    Knows a Thing or Two -AINOKEA-'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Hilo, HI
    Posts
    828
    I donít know much about sales or marketing at all, but I think (and hope) that people are maybe waiting a while for the kinks to get worked out? Idk. Iím happy with mine so far but there are definitely some very small oversights I think that could be ironed out in the next year or two. Havenít found anything that would be remotely close to a dealbreaker for me though. I know the biggest deterrent for people in my area is the price tag.


    Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

  10. #10
    Advertiser Exodus Jeeps's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    3,348
    Quote Originally Posted by Jkzinger View Post
    I predict itís demise in about 4 years.


    Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app
    Yep. I think itíll only be around for a few years


    Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Dealer Sales Brochures ......
    By Macarena Man in forum General Jeep Stuff
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-23-2017, 02:53 PM
  2. Black Friday sales
    By rogerk93 in forum General Jeep Stuff
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 11-30-2015, 12:15 AM
  3. Jeep Sales Up 41% in 2014 - Best EVER Annual Sales Performance!!
    By wayoflife in forum General Jeep Stuff
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 01-15-2015, 12:27 AM
  4. Various parts for sales
    By Stegertime in forum For Sale
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 01-11-2015, 03:39 PM
  5. Jeep sales worldwide.
    By Ruan69 in forum The 8th Slot
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-13-2013, 02:28 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
About us
ďwayoflifeĒ is a moniker that Iíve been using for 20 years now and I chose it because I think it does a great job of explaining, in simple terms, the passion I have for Jeeps and the Jeep way of life. This is a lifestyle that transcends age, gender and race as the only thing you need to be a part of it is a love for the outdoors, a desire to explore, a yearning to take on a challenge and a will to conquer it. Over the years, Cindy and I have attempted to capture the essence of this lifestyle through photographs and videos and share it with others around the world. And, this is how WAYALIFE was born.
Join us
WATCH OUR VIDEOS