Jdofmemi and the yet unnamed Jeep rebuild

jdofmemi

Well, better late than never I guess.

Somewhere in the rebuild, I will have to settle on a name. The ex wanted to call it Digger, but I never quite fell for that.

We will see what comes up, and I'm open to suggestions.

To start, the original build as I bought it.
2015 JKUR with 5.13 gears, factory lockers, 3" EVO lift, adjustable Kings, 37" Goodyear MTRs on Trail Ready beadlocks, Ten Factory chromoly axles front and rear, "C" gussets, Dynatrac ball joints, Dynatrac diff covers, EVO weld on sliders, JCR front bumper, Genright aluminum rear, Excessive Industries Gatekeeper tire carrier, JW speaker headlights, Rock Hard cage, Warn 10,000 VR winch, Rock Hard engine and transmission skid plate, Cobra 75 CB, Yeti Steer Smart tie rod and flipped drag link, 1350 front and rear driveshafts, PPE fender liners and tailgate plate with third brake light, BestTop bikini top, JKS disconnects, and JKS programmer.

With a couple of exceptions, a really good starting point.

Here is a pic of it when it was new to me:

Attachments

• image000000_copy_800x594.jpg
    image000000_copy_800x594.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 283

jdofmemi

Since most of the build was good, I wheeled it for the last two years, and have added things like a tire mount Rotopax, High Lift mounted to the Gatekeeper, many tools and supplies, and more wheeling.

The Goodyear tires got me by for a good year, and I was not impressed. The tires got upgraded to Cooper STT Pros, and I am much happier.

The Steer Smart tie rod had an end fail, and for little more that the cost of one replacement end, I upgraded to Bubba's aluminum version. It has pushed rocks all over the place, but is still straight as an arrow.

I was able to score a set of half doors from Fiend, and I love them. I'm not sure if the full doors will ever go back.

I also added an ARB 50 qt fridge, and pulled the rear seats to build a platform to hold it and camping gear, with tool storage secured underneath.

In addition, I have been gathering parts for the next phase, which is starting now.

Attachments

• IMG_20200510_113657_copy_800x600.jpg
    IMG_20200510_113657_copy_800x600.jpg
    130.8 KB · Views: 277
  • IMG_20200429_114113_copy_800x600.jpg
    IMG_20200429_114113_copy_800x600.jpg
    142.1 KB · Views: 275
  • IMG_20200510_103521_copy_800x600.jpg
    IMG_20200510_103521_copy_800x600.jpg
    149.8 KB · Views: 277

Ddays

Hooked
Looking forward to seeing where you take this build. I also pulled my rear seats. Makes for so much more storage space. I need to build a raised floor for mine too.

Slimebones

Since most of the build was good, I wheeled it for the last two years, and have added things like a tire mount Rotopax, High Lift mounted to the Gatekeeper, many tools and supplies, and more wheeling.

The Goodyear tires got me by for a good year, and I was not impressed. The tires got upgraded to Cooper STT Pros, and I am much happier.

The Steer Smart tie rod had an end fail, and for little more that the cost of one replacement end, I upgraded to Bubba's aluminum version. It has pushed rocks all over the place, but is still straight as an arrow.

I was able to score a set of half doors from Fiend, and I love them. I'm not sure if the full doors will ever go back.

I also added an ARB 50 qt fridge, and pulled the rear seats to build a platform to hold it and camping gear, with tool storage secured underneath.

In addition, I have been gathering parts for the next phase, which is starting now.

Jerry, they got the hook in you with the 2016 sticker on the windshield. Full disclosure sure got you a discount! Jeep is looking good.

jdofmemi

If there has been a downside of the past two years, I have broken one rear axle, and four fronts. Actually it is the U joints that have failed, and two of the four were stock spares being used while waiting on a replacement chromoly shaft.

Both stock ones lost C clips which led to failure. The chromoly shafts didn't break, but when the U joints broke, the ears have bent so a replacement U joint won't fit.

This, coupled with my relatively aggressive wheeling and "different" lines, led me to think I need to have some stronger parts in there so I won't be "the guy" who holds up runs all the time to fix my broken shit.

My long term plan is out of reach for now, but thanks to wtjstudios, a good interim solution is on the way, with the 60/44 hybrid axles. This allows a stronger center, along with all the bulletproof outer goodies, without the cost of new tires and wheels added to the total.

At the same time, the PSC big bore box and ram are going in, along with a new transmission crossmember, and some other goodies. .

To start that process, out with the old.
What better way than with a forklift.

Attachments

• IMG_20200530_172602_copy_800x600.jpg
    IMG_20200530_172602_copy_800x600.jpg
    184.3 KB · Views: 250
  • IMG_20200530_172648_copy_800x600.jpg
    IMG_20200530_172648_copy_800x600.jpg
    172.4 KB · Views: 249
  • IMG_20200530_172808_copy_800x600.jpg
    IMG_20200530_172808_copy_800x600.jpg
    144.1 KB · Views: 250

jdofmemi

I have a feeling I know where this is going [emoji6]

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

You may be on to something

Looking forward to seeing where you take this build. I also pulled my rear seats. Makes for so much more storage space. I need to build a raised floor for mine too.

I have lots of wants, but have to balance it with my house rebuild and limited funds. I'm having a yard sale to raise more money for both.

Jerry, they got the hook in you with the 2016 sticker on the windshield. Full disclosure sure got you a discount! Jeep is looking good.

Good eye Doug. I never even noticed that the year was wrong. It was a deal to n my mind, with 24,000 miles and I paid book value, basically all the added parts for free. Or at least that's one way to look at it.
I know it was $20K less than similar builds in CA

What, no mention of the 5 new axle shafts? [emoji41]

I still say Crunch is a good name and I'll call you Cap'n. [emoji23]

--
Build Thread - Adventures of Fiona - https://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=47407

I was still typing. I got them all, but didn't know you had kept count that well.
And there is reason number one for the changes.
As far as the name, I'm not sure I like the implications, but on the other hand everywhere I look I see the evidence, so.......

jdofmemi

Awesome build so far .

Thanks

I searched for nearly four months to find one built how I liked, and in my price range.
Found it in Lakewood, agreed to buy it after an hour plus phone call with the owner, and flew into Denver to drive it home.

Wheeled at least a little in every state on the way home.

danford.lau

Caught the Bug
You can have the stock front axle shafts I carry whenever you need haha .. new setup is looking great . I’m planning on a lot of wheeling and camping these next few months

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

jdofmemi

You can have the stock front axle shafts I carry whenever you need haha .. new setup is looking great . I’m planning on a lot of wheeling and camping these next few months

Fantastic thread. You’re getting a lot of great upgrades. Look forward to wheeling with you soon! [emoji1303]

Congrats on the new axles on the way and the rebuild [emoji106]

Can’t wait to see how next week goes!

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

Thanks guys.

I have a big list to get done. And suddenly work is getting busy again as well.
Good news, but makes it hard to have enough time to work on things.

jdofmemi

Today's first project is the transmission crossmember.

Out with the tinfoil, in with the new Rock Hard. Looks like I'm going to loose about an inch of clearance. I had the tinfoil version caved in pretty good.

Attachments

• IMG_20200531_154744_copy_600x800.jpg
    IMG_20200531_154744_copy_600x800.jpg
    179.8 KB · Views: 94
Top Bottom