Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Goal Zero Yeti 400 Near Catastrophic Failure

Goal Zero Yeti 400 Near Catastrophic Failure

I've had a Yeti 400 for several years now. It's been a love/hate relationship. It failed on me during the first day of a three day Jeep trip (fortunately my OEM battery did the job of running my ARB fridge fine) and Goal Zero replaced the battery free of charge.

Since then, I have primarily kept the battery plugged in and sitting on my garage work bench. When needed, I use it to power my Milwaukee tool battery chargers, a cell phone when I'm working in the garage, and sometimes a small bluetooth speaker. Basically, it is rarely under load and when it is, the load is only for a few hours. Well, all of that changed yesterday.

Nothing has been plugged into the Yeti for a week or so, but yesterday it started beeping and the screen was blinking. Upon further inspection, this is what I found:

IMG_6076.jpg
    IMG_6078.jpg
    IMG_6082.jpg
    IMG_6083.jpg

The battery was literally in the process of expanding/exploding within the Yeti unit. The entire casing was very hot to the touch, and the metal casing bolts were too hot to hold in my hand for very long. The battery has expanded so much that I can’t even remove the battery from the unit.

Needless to say, this could have resulted in a catastrophic failure that could have destroyed my garage, my house, or worse....resulted in the loss of life.

I have contacted Goal Zero and will report back on their response. If you have one of these though, please thoroughly check it often.
    Last edited by Sharkey; 06-27-2020 at 02:00 AM.
    Jeep parts and accessories purchased through the following link will help support this forum and at no cost to you.
    RECOMMENDED JEEP PARTS & ACCESSORIES

do they use a lithium battery?

That could've been disastrous.

I have a NOCO boost that I use to leave in the Jeep until I smelled the smell of burnt plastic and found the battery had swollen so much it broke the case.

It got replaced by NOCO but I no longer leave it in the Jeep nor the hot garage.
    Last edited by jeeeep; 06-26-2020 at 05:19 PM.

I think more and more use of lithium ion batteries and the drive to reduce cost have put a lot of BAD batteries on the market.

About 6 months ago I picked my work laptop up to go to a meeting and the bottom of the case was bowed out. When I got back to my desk I opened it up to realize the battery had bulged like that. Immediately took it to IT who kind of freaked out, obviously pulled the battery and gave me a new one. But it easily could have burnt my office area down...

Wow. That's crazy. Glad it was caught before something really bad happened.
    "When the government fears the people, there is Liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny."

Jeep parts and accessories purchased through the following link will help support this forum and at no cost to you.

Support the JL forum: JLWRANGLER.COM

Jeep JT GLADIATOR FORUM: www.JT-Gladiator.com

Quote Originally Posted by Sharkey View Post
    I've had a Yeti 400 for several years now. ..........
    Might be a recall on it. This is from 2014 but does mention certain serial numbers: https://www.cpsc.gov/Recalls/2014/go...-battery-packs (just realized this may be for different model unit)
    Last edited by WJCO; 06-26-2020 at 06:09 PM.
    "When the government fears the people, there is Liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny."

Support the JL forum: JLWRANGLER.COM

Jeep JT GLADIATOR FORUM: www.JT-Gladiator.com

Glad you caught it!! That could have been really bad!

October 16, 2013, wednesday early evening, east of the pacific ocean, selectee for truly random and boring Parking lot photo of the moment grand platinum prize winner!

2011 JK
    EVO Bolt-on Coilovers, EVO 1/4 pounder w/ stinger, 37" Cooper STT Pros, PR44, and some EVO stuff

Awaiting install-
    On Order-
    Want list- Evo carrier and skins, PSC hydro assis

jlwrangler.com

Quote Originally Posted by jeeeep View Post
    do they use a lithium battery?

That could've been disastrous.

I have a NOCO boost that I use to leave in the Jeep until I smelled the smell of burnt plastic and found the battery had swollen so much it broke the case.

It got replaced by NOCO but I no longer leave it in the Jeep nor the hot garage.
    This is not a lithium battery but they do make a version that is lithium.

Quote Originally Posted by Primo82 View Post
    I think more and more use of lithium ion batteries and the drive to reduce cost have put a lot of BAD batteries on the market.

About 6 months ago I picked my work laptop up to go to a meeting and the bottom of the case was bowed out. When I got back to my desk I opened it up to realize the battery had bulged like that. Immediately took it to IT who kind of freaked out, obviously pulled the battery and gave me a new one. But it easily could have burnt my office area down...
    Agreed, but this isn't lithium ion. It is a regular AGM Lead-Acid battery that is supposed to be kept plugged in (which it was). You will notice what appear to be water droplets in the photos from inside the unit case. That's from the battery itself.

Quote Originally Posted by WJCO View Post
    Might be a recall on it. This is from 2014 but does mention certain serial numbers: https://www.cpsc.gov/Recalls/2014/go...-battery-packs (just realized this may be for different model unit)
    That's very interesting and basically exactly what happened. Although, this battery is actually a replacement battery Goal Zero sent me in 2016.

That is crazy! So lucky!

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast