Defense Mine Cummings Cutoff Trail Run

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Our first trail run since getting back from Moab was one that took us out into the Panamint Valley, up the Argus Range and to an old tungsten mine know as the Defense Mine. The trail is relatively short and for the most part easy to moderate but, if you take on Zero Fall and the Cummings Cutoff as we had, there's a lot of fun to be had. Unfortunately, we no longer have our son helping out with photos and, being that we spent most of our time filming, we only have a few photos to share. I do know there were others taking photos as well and it is my hope that they post up a few here as well. Anyway, I hope you enjoy these pics and, if I can, will post up more from video screen shots. :cool:

On our way to our next adventure...
main.php

Here's a shot of Don, Lori, Tony and Stephanie pulling into our basecamp...
main.php

Trail Bud mixing up some Bloody Mary's for everyone...
main.php

Dinner at our favorite pizza spot in Lone Pine - the Pizza Factory...
main.php

Wrapping up the evening with good friends and of course, American Honey - CHEERS!!
main.php

The following morning - all stripped down and ready to go...
main.php

main.php

Nothing like breakfast at the Alabama Hills Café...
main.php

On the edge of the Panamint Valley taking in the view...
main.php

main.php

Have I ever said how much I think people suck? Here's a shot of an outhouse that we found all shot up...
main.php

WooHoo!! Time to air down...
main.php

main.php

Tessa trying to cool off and take a nap...
main.php

Working our way up the canyon...
main.php

Making a stop to check out some of the local history...
main.php

main.php

Rocky section just before Zero Fall...
main.php

Don carefully working his way up Zero Fall...
main.php

main.php

Unfortunately, those were the only pics I was able to take here. Hopefully Dave, Doug or Stephanie has others that they can add to this thread.

Here we are working our way up the Cummings Cutoff...
main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

Our destination for the day, the Defense Mine...
main.php

main.php

On our way back to our basecamp, Ray noticed he had a vibration and, upon closer examination, this is what we found...
main.php

It would have been great if that was the worst of our carnage but, just as we were leaving the following morning, Trail Bud suffered a break that would require a flatbed to take him home...
main.php

main.php

Not 100% sure what happened here but, it looks like this break was in the making for quite some time now. Of course, after 4+ years of playing hard, I'm not too surprised and considered it to be lucky that it happened here and not on the trail...
main.php

main.php

With his axle strapped up and wheel removed, it was just a matter of waiting around till the tow truck arrived...
main.php

main.php

Getting the Jeep on the bed was interesting to say the least...
main.php

main.php

main.php

All buckled up and ready to head for home...
main.php

main.php

Well, that's all I've got. Again, I hope others will post up their pics here as well. Otherwise, we'll try to get a video of this run up as soon as we can. :cool:

A big thanks needs to go out to all our friends, Doug, Moochie, Dave, Laura, Tony, Stephanie, Don, Laurie, Adam and Ray for coming out and joining us for this run. We hope to do it again soon. :)

Great pics Cindy and Eddie! Looks like a great trip and one we'll definitely put on the list!

Bummer for Ray and Doug... Hope their rigs are up and running soon! :yup:

Joebot13

Of course, after 4+ years of playing hard, I'm not too surprised and considered it to be lucky that it happened here and not on the trail...

Or on the freeway doing 70!!! Glad everyone was okay!

Looks like an awesome trip. Hope to make it out with you guys one of these days!

Looks like for the most part you all had a good time! Sucks about the damage to the vehicles... Looking forward to making a run with ya"ll :drinks:

Moochie

Zero Fall took out my passenger rear taillight. Don's bringing me his take off taillight to replace mine.
Thanks Don! :)

10frank9

Web Wheeler
This run looked like lots of fun, both the trip and the company. Look forward to joining the next one. 👍

JAGS

Hooked
With the exceptions of the few breaks, you all had some good smiles in the pics. Looks like a lot of fun. Nothing beats getting out and exploring with friends. :yup:

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Had a great time! I have some pics to go through and I will throw them up. Either tomorrow morning or tonight after work.

Thanks Eddie and Cindy an the rest if the fan for the fun time. And for keeping me awake. :cheesy:

Sorry to hear about the break Doug! That sucks!

Serg5000

Is it just me or is Doug( Trail Bud) always breaking his rig. He must have a curse or something. He is such a nice guy I can't imagine why he would deserve this.

Sorry to see yet another break down man.

JKAnimal

Caught the Bug
Very nice. Too bad about your brake Trail Bud sorry to see that but you do have a reputation to uphold.;)

Looks like a fun time!

Top Bottom