EVO Tire Carrier Rotopax Gas Can Mount Solution

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Been trying to figure out how to carry a Rotopax gas cans on our EVO Tire Carrier for a while now and, I think I finally came up with a solution that I like. :yup:

main.php

Here's a shot of how I installed the mount...

main.php

It may not be for everyone but, I like it :)

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Doesn't look too bad actually. Does it still sit higher then the tire? Wouldn't want it to get ripped off while wheeling.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
It's just barely higher, maybe by about 1/2" but, it is higher. I'm not too worried about it being that I've yet to catch my spare on anything to date and don't think that I will in the future.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
It's just barely higher, maybe by about 1/2" but, it is higher. I'm not too worried about it being that I've yet to catch my spare on anything to date and don't think that I will in the future.

Well on moby the tire hangs down farther anyway right? So you'll have more room there even.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Well on moby the tire hangs down farther anyway right? So you'll have more room there even.

Yup, that is very true. Plus, if you're picking good lines, your corners would be what hit, not down the middle.

How long could you do with 4 gallon?

have to trench between jerry cans and rotopax. :thinking:

Rubicat does well on gas, maybe 13-14 MPG so even at worst case and say we were only getting 10 MPG, that'd still be 40 miles.

Love the idea. But does Rotopax have cans for diesel fuel or is it just for gasoline?

Yup, they have cans for diesel too.

Holeshot

Banned
How long could you do with 4 gallon?

have to trench between jerry cans and rotopax. :thinking:

answered on FB! and sounds logic lol

WAYALIFE : Rubicat does well on gas, maybe 13-14 MPG so even at worst case and say we were only getting 10 MPG, that'd be 40 miles.

mine does 18 MPG actually, so should do like 72 miles. not so bad :cool:

sorry for the double question BTW.

Charlie Mike

Like! :thumb:

I also like the idea of the cap at the very highest point. I know it's very unlikely, but that added security just in case the cap isn't on that tight or the seal is compromised, you won't have gas leaking out as much as if it were horizontal.

How did you mount the license plate? Any close up pictures of that?

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
Love the idea. But does Rotopax have cans for diesel fuel or is it just for gasoline?

Why does diesel eat through the can or something, or do you mean just a different color? I know expedition ONE has exclusive 4 gallon units in black.

They sell them was water packs because of EPA regulations for their gas cans, which they are in the process of dealing with. Right now, their gas cans are for export only.

http://www.expeditiononestore.com/Expedition-One-Geri-Water-Packs-Geri-Water-Pack.htm

http://www.expeditiononestore.com/Geri-Fuel-Packs-GERI-F.htm

Last edited:

MTG

Caught the Bug
Cool! Good to know if I ever am on a trip where I need to carry extra gas. :thumb:

BoogieMan

Why does diesel eat through the can or something, or do you mean just a different color? I know expedition ONE has exclusive 4 gallon units in black.

Diesel does eat through plastic but it really depends on how the plastic is manufactured. I'm gonna have to make some calls to see if rotopax is safe to use. Also, its not a good idea to leave the plastic out in the elements with diesel fuel in it.

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
looks good eddie! i am thinking about the expedition one mount for my rear carrier, but they want a mint for the thing!

andrew -

I think it's $250 for the expo1 mount. I'd still pay for it. It holds two 4 gallon units, and when you consider these cans cost $100 a pop, it makes it sound more reasonable. :D

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
Diesel does eat through plastic but it really depends on how the plastic is manufactured. I'm gonna have to make some calls to see if rotopax is safe to use. Also, its not a good idea to leave the plastic out in the elements with diesel fuel in it.

There is definitely some kind of coating inside these cans, but I can't say if it's diesel safe. Shoot them an email and I'm sure they will clear up any questions. Didn't know that about diesel though. :thumb:

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
Hmmm...they do have a separate 2 gallon diesel pack, but doesn't say if it's any different other than the color. It doesn't come in 3 or 4 gallon though. I guess they think as an emergency pack, 2 gallons of diesel is nearly 50 miles on average so people don't need more.

http://rotopax.com/2-Gallon-Diesel.html

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
I posted this on facebook (under the wayalife photo of the above) but if you don't live in California, I would recommend getting the non Eco spouts. The eco spouts don't equalize pressure and are prone to spilling. The regular spouts the rest of the world gets are completely spill proof. I don't know how seriously they check the spouts in California though, so do so at your own risk.

Top Bottom