Best DIY jk mods??

World Traveler 76

Any ideas? I've already painted the wheels and chopped the stock bumper

I've done allot to my 2016 Rubicon Hard Rock, still haven't joined the lifted crowd yet as I am debating rim/tire choices first. In the meantime I have tackled the electronics.

Yesterday, I spent about one hour installing a third brake light in the removable hard top. After about $25 worth of parts (LED brake lights from Amazon, wire, quick trailer disconnects, and connectors), I'm amazed that Jeep wouldn't offer this as a option.

Once I installed the light bar, I then moved to creating an 3rd brake light out of a string of LEDs and an old plastic oil catch tray (clean) which mounts behind the 5th wheel. All in all I probably spent $30 on the LED string lights from my local auto parts store. Since this set of lights are wired directly to the stock light wires, the disconnect inside the rear door allows me to use or not use when I chose.

Over all the 3rd brake light above the rear glass is a very easy project, once you get over the nerves of drilling into your top. Of everything I have done so far (sPod, windshield lights, bumper lights, rock lights, on board Air compressor, grab bars, rear view camera), this mod seems to be what should have come from the factory.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

AllAmericanInfidel

Caught the Bug

BananaJeep

Caught the Bug

Frydaddy

Are we doing good, or cheap? Here's a nice mix of both.

Center console Switch Mod. 3/4" amazon switches, and cut the metal tabs to fit over the circuit board.
1463258550617.jpg

RAM Ball mount phone holder. The faux allen head screw comes right out, easy to replace.
IMG_20160604_173505056.jpg

Cargo bay power. Lets face it, the best work comes from behind!
IMG_20160604_184347678.jpg

Extending light platform. great for antennas and brake lights. Light all around, not just ahead.
IMG_20161229_152010725.jpg

Real onboard air. Tank underneath, and compressor in LR quarter panel. Quiet and hidden.
9swiwrQ - Imgur.jpg

Conduit Grab bars. Easy to build, and cheap on the wallet.
IMG_3803.jpg

Diff cover guards. Protects the cover, and good welding practice.
mg2okxt.jpg

Frydaddy

Is there a write up for this somewhere? I really want to do it!

I dont have any pictures, but i can add a few details.

The Inverter has been replaced with a 750W/1000W inverter. I got power to the rear by using some 4 gauge jumper cable wire and a 150A breaker near the battery. (If you run the numbers, it doesnt add up, but i'm not running the inverter full bore.) The cable was routed through a sealed hole above the battery on the firewall, then under the paneling along the passengers side.

The outlets are in odd positions to get around the roll bar and seat belt hardware. I have them on a 20A fuse, fed from the inverter source.

I plan on building a modular Power system, with Anderson plugs front and rear, and a secondary battery in the cargo area. It can disconnect easily to become a jump box. Obviously that will require a relay contactor on the jumper cable power line.

SilverBack775

Fenders for sure, I just cut up my fenders and used a jigsaw. My jeep is silver so I bought a couple cans of silver paint for plastic. And they look pretty good actually! Oh and another thing. Not really a diy so much. But they have cabin filters for jeep Jk's a pack of 2. Just take out your glovebox and turn your ac recurculation on and it will open up the top plastic piece and drop both filters in. Kinda cool!

Fenders for sure, I just cut up my fenders and used a jigsaw. My jeep is silver so I bought a couple cans of silver paint for plastic. And they look pretty good actually! Oh and another thing. Not really a diy so much. But they have cabin filters for jeep Jk's a pack of 2. Just take out your glovebox and turn your ac recurculation on and it will open up the top plastic piece and drop both filters in. Kinda cool!

I have a silver jeep too and have been considering the same thing, would you post a couple pictures? I'd love to see them!

sipafz

Caught the Bug
Good thread idea! Here are my submissions:

Hardtop lift using a Racor Vertical Storage Lift:

IMG_3675.JPG

Changing the clocking of the vertical seat adjuster to prevent accidental seat lowering during entry and exit. From this:

IMG_4435.JPG

To this:

IMG_4436.JPG

Like the look of a hidden winch? Make a mounting plate and modify your Stock JK Bumper:

IMG_4437.JPG

Reclining the rear seats is always a nice modification and it's easy to make your own spacers:

IMG_4438.JPG

And go from this:

IMG_4439.JPG

To this:

IMG_4440.JPG

Grill inserts is a fun and easy project:

IMG_4441.JPG

IMG_4099.JPG

DIY door wall storage is a must:

IMG_4442.JPG

IMG_4443.JPG

One of my favorites has been DIY Grab Handles: