CoWj Build /I'm back

xwaz

Working to get everything on the rear suspension. Dropped by a local shop to take pre measurements on flex on the rear. I'm going back Monday to test the new rear shocks. Speaking of new shocks I got then and the 1.5" spacers in soon after getting home (all yesterday) so it is now sitting level and with some super badass shocks in the back. The braided line does have play and does not appear to be stained in any way. Today I am focusing on the front end doing a bit of suspension work. IMG_20170428_161828746_HDR.jpg IMG_20170428_161858243.jpg IMG_20170428_215214960.jpg IMG_20170428_215257250.jpg IMG_20170428_215311594.jpg

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk

WJCO

Meme King
How are you liking the shocks? Stiff? Soft? My Bilsteins are feeling a little soft. It may be due to all the stuff I carry.

xwaz

How are you liking the shocks? Stiff? Soft? My Bilsteins are feeling a little soft. It may be due to all the stuff I carry.
I haven't yet gone for the test drive yet. I finished at 10:30 last night. These are adjustable so they can be as hard or soft as you want. I am going forbthe first test drive in a few minutes with the shocks on 4/8 and I will then slowly test and tune with different settings till I find the one that works.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Working to get everything on the rear suspension. Dropped by a local shop to take pre measurements on flex on the rear. I'm going back Monday to test the new rear shocks. Speaking of new shocks I got then and the 1.5" spacers in soon after getting home (all yesterday) so it is now sitting level and with some super badass shocks in the back. The braided line does have play and does not appear to be stained in any way. Today I am focusing on the front end doing a bit of suspension work.

Hey now, that's looking pretty sweet! :thumb:

xwaz

Stopped by the shop again. Previously I went 68.5" up, with the rear shocks replaced and a 1.5" spacer the Jeeps sitting perfectly and made it to 73" (from the center of the hub). It went from a height of 26" to 28.5" and the rear flex (bottom of center cap to fender) went from 26" to 28" so an improvement of 2". Overall I am extremely happy. I went and did some high-speed runs down washboarded roads (60mph) and it sat perfect and happy with 3/8 clicks of compression. They have offered a large improvement over the bilstein 5125s. Currently I still have 5125s on the front and they will stay for a while as they handle the winch and bumper weight quite well and provide a large amount of flex. IMG_20170501_154915146_HDR.jpg IMG_20170501_154931139_HDR.jpg IMG_20170501_155004448.jpg IMG_20170501_155010942.jpg IMG_20170501_154939187_HDR.jpg IMG_20170501_155133323.jpg

WJCO

Meme King
Stopped by the shop again. Previously I went 68.5" up, with the rear shocks replaced and a 1.5" spacer the Jeeps sitting perfectly and made it to 73" (from the center of the hub). It went from a height of 26" to 28.5" and the rear flex (bottom of center cap to fender) went from 26" to 28" so an improvement of 2". Overall I am extremely happy. I went and did some high-speed runs down washboarded roads (60mph) and it sat perfect and happy with 3/8 clicks of compression. They have offered a large improvement over the bilstein 5125s. Currently I still have 5125s on the front and they will stay for a while as they handle the winch and bumper weight quite well and provide a large amount of flex.

Looks like you're running an ARB in the rear. How long have you had it? Also any issues with bent flanges on the axles? I'm dumping my Varilock in a week or two and putting an ARB in, so it requires the non-varilock shafts to fit it. I already have them sitting in the garage. I'm just curious, as my varilock shafts that are on the vehicle keep bending flanges and I'm not even that rough on it.

xwaz

Looks like you're running an ARB in the rear. How long have you had it? Also any issues with bent flanges on the axles? I'm dumping my Varilock in a week or two and putting an ARB in, so it requires the non-varilock shafts to fit it. I already have them sitting in the garage. I'm just curious, as my varilock shafts that are on the vehicle keep bending flanges and I'm not even that rough on it.
I put it in when I built the Jeep last June. I put in some shafts from rock auto, I can't remember if they were upgraded or not, but I haven't had any issues with bent flanges yet. That being said the Jeep doesn't rock crawl hardly ever, and I am of the mind set of be locked in 4lo before I need to and I wheel very carefully. I was impressed with the varilock when the Jeep was stock however the Arb was in the plan before I even picked up the Jeep. I have had an auto locker in a previous Zj project and just disliked how it drove on dirt roads and highways.

WJCO

Meme King
I put it in when I built the Jeep last June. I put in some shafts from rock auto, I can't remember if they were upgraded or not, but I haven't had any issues with bent flanges yet. That being said the Jeep doesn't rock crawl hardly ever, and I am of the mind set of be locked in 4lo before I need to and I wheel very carefully. I was impressed with the varilock when the Jeep was stock however the Arb was in the plan before I even picked up the Jeep. I have had an auto locker in a previous Zj project and just disliked how it drove on dirt roads and highways.

I already have an ARB in the front and have the compressor. After the last bent flange on the RR, I waited over a month and found out the particular shaft I needed was on back order. So I decided to go with the non-varilok shafts and put an ARB in the rear and received the shafts quickly. I hope I don't have to deal with anymore bent shafts.

xwaz

I already have an ARB in the front and have the compressor. After the last bent flange on the RR, I waited over a month and found out the particular shaft I needed was on back order. So I decided to go with the non-varilok shafts and put an ARB in the rear and received the shafts quickly. I hope I don't have to deal with anymore bent shafts.
I believe due to the different length of the varilock vs stock shaft they tend not to bend as easily.

WJCO

Meme King
Good meeting you out on the trail today. Your Jeep is looking good. Hope you guys had a safe and fun time out there.

xwaz

Good meeting you out on the trail today. Your Jeep is looking good. Hope you guys had a safe and fun time out there.
Thank you, your Jeep is awesome as well. We had a pretty good day out there made it through the entire trail no issues. Even was able to do the option ledge at the beginning. I tried running counter clockwise but the big ledge was too much for the 32" tires. I gave it a few tries but in the end decided against it do to potential damage.

WJCO

Meme King
Thank you, your Jeep is awesome as well. We had a pretty good day out there made it through the entire trail no issues. Even was able to do the option ledge at the beginning. I tried running counter clockwise but the big ledge was too much for the 32" tires. I gave it a few tries but in the end decided against it do to potential damage.

I've done that loop many times and only once in reverse. I tried the ledge with open diffs a few times with no luck. Turned on lockers and climbed right up. I think if you locked the rear, you'd have likely made it. Sure is nice to head up there in the middle of fricken January with no snow. We did three trails today and it was beautiful.

xwaz

I've done that loop many times and only once in reverse. I tried the ledge with open diffs a few times with no luck. Turned on lockers and climbed right up. I think if you locked the rear, you'd have likely made it. Sure is nice to head up there in the middle of fricken January with no snow. We did three trails today and it was beautiful.
I had the rear locked. But its the darm transfer case drop. I just don't have the break over angle for it. Going to put a IRO high clearance unit in soon to gain that extra 3" of clearance I think I new for that.

WJCO

Meme King
I had the rear locked. But its the darm transfer case drop. I just don't have the break over angle for it. Going to put a IRO high clearance unit in soon to gain that extra 3" of clearance I think I new for that.

I just looked that up. Looks great. If you don't mind, post some before and after pics. Would love to see the difference. I also have a tcase drop (1 inch). I've thought about changing it up as well just to gain some clearance. As long as it would work with my tcase skid. I also have a diy transmission skid that hooks to the OEM cross member, so I'd definitely have to modify that.

xwaz

I just looked that up. Looks great. If you don't mind, post some before and after pics. Would love to see the difference. I also have a tcase drop (1 inch). I've thought about changing it up as well just to gain some clearance. As long as it would work with my tcase skid. I also have a diy transmission skid that hooks to the OEM cross member, so I'd definitely have to modify that.
Yeh, I want to soon but with being at school in gunnison (back for the weekend) I don't have much time to do stuff like that so maybe March I can do it if not May. As I think I need to get both driveshafts rebuilt and lengthed and I don't have the time for that currently.

WJCO

Meme King
Yeh, I want to soon but with being at school in gunnison (back for the weekend) I don't have much time to do stuff like that so maybe March I can do it if not May. As I think I need to get both driveshafts rebuilt and lengthed and I don't have the time for that currently.

If you're around this summer, you should join some runs. We did a ton last summer.

As far as your driveshafts, what makes you think you have to lengthen them? I run a 4 inch lift and had no issues with the stock ones. When I swapped the front axle, I had to actually shorten the front one. This first pic is pretty much full droop on that same ledge. And another pic showing about the same on another trail. I've had no issues with the driveshafts.

IMG954493.jpg

DSC05642.jpg

xwaz

I had my rear one shorten. When I did my 247-242 swap (shorted 2"), and I think moving the t case up another 3" I think it might be a good option, or even do a SYE and a double Cardenas rear to match the front. However I guess its possible to change the crossmember and then go from there on the length. Most importantly I need to install my limiting straps asap, I almost lost a coil on multiple occasions today.

xwaz

If you're around this summer, you should join some runs. We did a ton last summer.

As far as your driveshafts, what makes you think you have to lengthen them? I run a 4 inch lift and had no issues with the stock ones. When I swapped the front axle, I had to actually shorten the front one. This first pic is pretty much full droop on that same ledge. And another pic showing about the same on another trail. I've had no issues with the driveshafts.

View attachment 289462

View attachment 289463
https://youtu.be/wseJXwRZbsk I had a video taken of the first ledge and you can hear the coil drop but luckily it didn't fall out completely.

Top Bottom