Motech LS Swap Gremlins

Cheeseburger

I used a Motech kit, it’s gen v l86 with 8l90. Uses the stock AC pump in stock location. I also put the DTD and there’s no interference. Maybe the RPM Extreme mounts the engine lower? What exactly contacts?

Right now my biggest annoyance is the shifter, I’m going to make a new plate that will put the shifter positions next to a lever stop.

Functionally it’s all working as it should except for traction control. I don’t have overheating issues and the fan doesn’t ever ramp up to 100%. Engine temp stays steady, hasn’t creeped up. I live in a tropical environment, 90 and humid. Maybe later in the summer it’ll be different, but I’ll keep an eye on it anyway.

Right now I have more gripes on the DTD / Lever than on the gen v drivetrain.

The up-travel on the DTD is so much so that it hits the ac compressor. They use all GM accessories which puts the ac compressor too low.

Look, don’t get bound up over opinions. Just be careful making claims that the LT swap is good to go, until you really put some miles on it. I swap engines for a living and I’m not touching that swap for a reason.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
I used a Motech kit, it’s gen v l86 with 8l90. Uses the stock AC pump in stock location. I also put the DTD and there’s no interference. Maybe the RPM Extreme mounts the engine lower? What exactly contacts?

Right now my biggest annoyance is the shifter, I’m going to make a new plate that will put the shifter positions next to a lever stop.

Functionally it’s all working as it should except for traction control. I don’t have overheating issues and the fan doesn’t ever ramp up to 100%. Engine temp stays steady, hasn’t creeped up. I live in a tropical environment, 90 and humid. Maybe later in the summer it’ll be different, but I’ll keep an eye on it anyway.

Right now I have more gripes on the DTD / Lever than on the gen v drivetrain.

He literally said in the post you quoted what interferes with the dtd.

Exodus 4x4

I’m going to change out springs soon. I’ll put it full bump and post a picture. It clears on mine.

I am running UD 60’s, what axle/mounts were you using when you had the clearance issue? Stock or something aftermarket? Curious if they were taller?

There are no issues with the motech kit and the DTD. It was the the RPM gen 4 kit.

Maybe I misunderstood. Are you using the RPM kit?

Cheeseburger

I used Motech. I was asking what’s the difference with RPM vs Motech that one would clear and the other not. I’m guessing RPM places the engine lower in the chassis?

Now, the truck style water pump does get close to the steering box. But it clears.

SLO

Overland Performance. It’s still Motech but they are basically a middle man that has refined the kit and customer service 1000%. If it wasn’t for them, I wouldn’t be doing LS swaps at all.

I know you guys already moved past this comment but i want to highlight what Bubba said about John at Overland Performance. He has taken no less than 10 calls from me in the last 4 days at all hours of the day to help me get my issues sorted out. He has sent me a couple different tunes and walked me through the changes and things are running so much better. I wouldn’t go Gen V (or Gen IV for that matter) without a good tuner that knows what they are doing like John.

Spent a good portion of the day on Poison Spider today. Just past Little Arch, there is an obstacle that has a steep climb. I started crawling up it in 4H and kept increasing throttle until it was floored and I wasn’t going anywhere. Not enough power to climb it. I backed down and went into 4L and then crawled up it. I was shocked that the LS didn’t have enough power to climb it. Still thinking I have some weird stuff going on but WAY better than the last few days.

uberc4

I’m going to change out springs soon. I’ll put it full bump and post a picture. It clears on mine.

I am running UD 60’s, what axle/mounts were you using when you had the clearance issue? Stock or something aftermarket? Curious if they were taller?

You shouldnt need to change your springs out. Given that your suspension has only been on for 1k miles, it is just settling in. I would look more into how it is tuned before messing with spring rate. Your timing ring could be too low on the coilover. Also need to looking into your compression/rebound tubes. I would recommend only adjusting one thing at a time otherwise you wont be able to tell the difference on adjustments.

Cheeseburger

The reason I am going to change springs is to get the ride height set and have at least some preload on the springs.

Right now there is about an inch and a half of slack on the rear springs to get ride height close (it’s still a little high). They are way too heavy spring rate.

The front slider won’t make any difference since both springs are the same rate. I want to put a slightly softer top spring in the front then the slider will actually do something.

Once the springs are close, then I’ll get into the shock adjustments. But the springs are obviously too far off as it sits. My Jeep is not heavy compared to most. I do not have extra weight on the body. I’m not running a spare tire.

You shouldnt need to change your springs out. Given that your suspension has only been on for 1k miles, it is just settling in. I would look more into how it is tuned before messing with spring rate. Your timing ring could be too low on the coilover. Also need to looking into your compression/rebound tubes. I would recommend only adjusting one thing at a time otherwise you wont be able to tell the difference on adjustments.

A.J.

The reason I am going to change springs is to get the ride height set and have at least some preload on the springs.

Right now there is about an inch and a half of slack on the rear springs to get ride height close (it’s still a little high). They are way too heavy spring rate.

The front slider won’t make any difference since both springs are the same rate. I want to put a slightly softer top spring in the front then the slider will actually do something.

Once the springs are close, then I’ll get into the shock adjustments. But the springs are obviously too far off as it sits. My Jeep is not heavy compared to most. I do not have extra weight on the body. I’m not running a spare tire.

I'm terrible at multiple quotes and such but am interested in all opinions and build experience. Good bad or otherwise. Once you get through defending yourself from the troll police it would be great if you could take some time to post up your build as things go along. Exodus is highly respected here and from what I can tell for good reason. You seem to have your head screwed on pretty straight and others may benefit from your experience as well. At the very least you seem to have actual experience as opposed to others who tend to just regurgitate information they read somewhere else. Keep it coming.

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

Cheeseburger

I looked at this again, I thought I had the stop ring up higher than I do and I was mistaken about it doing nothing because the spring rates are the same. Stop ring is only about an inch above the slider so that’s definitely contributing to a harsh ride.

USMC Wrangler

I'm terrible at multiple quotes and such but am interested in all opinions and build experience. Good bad or otherwise. Once you get through defending yourself from the troll police it would be great if you could take some time to post up your build as things go along. Exodus is highly respected here and from what I can tell for good reason. You seem to have your head screwed on pretty straight and others may benefit from your experience as well. At the very least you seem to have actual experience as opposed to others who tend to just regurgitate information they read somewhere else. Keep it coming.

Ha! Troll police. Who’s trolling now? You’ve been around long enough to know if you don’t like it, you know what to do.

A.J.

Ha! Troll police. Who’s trolling now? You’ve been around long enough to know if you don’t like it, you know what to do.

That's pretty much my point. I do like to see different views and build ideas. I think occasionally people that may have good experience (or bad) get blasted and run off when they finally have something of value to say. It's like who can be the biggest dick head first and lead the charge on blasting the new guy because he/she doesn't fit in to the cookie cutter mold of how to build a Wayalife Jeep. So yeah I've been around here long enough to know I can fuck right off if I don't like it but I've also been around long enough to say hey shut the fuck up I want to hear if this guy really knows what he's talking about or not. I usually try to find a more polite way to do it but you decided to call me out on it so there you go.

USMC Wrangler

That's pretty much my point. I do like to see different views and build ideas. I think occasionally people that may have good experience (or bad) get blasted and run off when they finally have something of value to say. It's like who can be the biggest dick head first and lead the charge on blasting the new guy because he/she doesn't fit in to the cookie cutter mold of how to build a Wayalife Jeep. So yeah I've been around here long enough to know I can fuck right off if I don't like it but I've also been around long enough to say hey shut the fuck up I want to hear if this guy really knows what he's talking about or not. I usually try to find a more polite way to do it but you decided to call me out on it so there you go.

Perfect! So fuck off. I’m not sorry I hurt your little feelings. Bitch.

Top Bottom