EAST Meets WEST: August 2020 Moab/Telluride Planning Thread

Ddays

Hooked
Reservations made in Ouray and Moab. I ended up doing a house in both places through VRBO.
Ouray was $180/night and Moab was only $131/night. I looked at the KOA cabin in Moab Coop, but
couldn't pass up that deal on a whole house! Garage too.

jdofmemi

Reservations made in Ouray and Moab. I ended up doing a house in both places through VRBO.
Ouray was $180/night and Moab was only $131/night. I looked at the KOA cabin in Moab Coop, but

That sounds like a great deal.

Slimebones

IMO, not worth it. We didnt do Ophir while we were there and I dont feel like we missed out on anything. Trust me, with the other trails I listed, you'll be hard pressed to find anything more scenic. It wouldnt be a waste of time - but there's a lot to see and plenty of trails I would rank as higher priority. Ophir was actually our plan B because Black Bear wasnt actually open when we were planning the trip. We got lucky and it opened about a week before we got there. Trust me, you would much rather do BB.

Alpine Loop is 50+ miles of semi-maintained bumpy dirt road that lots of other trails intersect with. You're likely to encounter a lot of tourists and rental Jeeps here because it is accessible to the novice. The summit of Engineer Pass is part of the loop and I think California (or maybe Cinnamon) is as well. You will likely travel small sections of it, but I wouldnt set out to complete the whole thing.

Poughkeepsie is definitely something I would recommend even though we didnt get to run it. (Long story short, Forest Service closed it for the year because some jack asses cut the lock and trespassed the gate). It's the only trail where you'l find any semblance of obstacles or difficulty. Plus it exits at Lake Como and you can return to town via Corkscrew Gulch which I REALLY regret not running while we were there last month.

The switchbacks directly above the white Jeep - that's Corkscrew Gulch.

Rdhcskr.jpg
This view is much better than even that pic shows, of course. A must do! A little side hitch off of Engineer Pass trail.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using WAYALIFE mobile app

Coop

Caught the Bug

That’s ok, you got more people and two Jeeps! We all will just need to find a rendezvous point for the mornings, but we can party at your place in the evening! Lol!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

RockinAZJK

Caught the Bug
Ok I won’t know what next year holds for a while. I’m going to just plan on going. Anyone interested in going in on a condo together?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

RockinAZJK

Caught the Bug
I’ll be coming from TX, so if anyone else is going my way and wants to caravan I’d be up for that!

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

Top Bottom