10 Hour JK Ride With Young Kids

jmy

I agree with you in that I don't believe it will make much difference for the kids riding in car seats. My wife and I took a trip in her JKU from East Texas to Nashville (just shy of 700 miles each way) for Thanksgiving with our two girls (10 & 13) and they did just fine. I had a blast just being able to be behind the wheel of the Jeep for that long. We have another trip planned in July to Destin, if kids are involved we'll take the JKU, if just my wife and I, we'll take my JK!

BdugJK

The wife and I took a family trip in the jeep that was about 850 miles with an 8 1/2 month old. We drove straight through on the way there (17 1/2 hours) and broke up the trip home over two and a half days (shopping :icon_crazy:). Our son did fine each way, the pit stops were a little longer than what they use to be, but it is easy to make it work. Kids are made of rubber so comfort is not a issue.

I actually read an article about rear facing seats recently. In Europe they recommend that parents keep kids in a rear facing seat until age four because of the safety reasons during a crash. Neck and head trauma is drastically reduced with rear facing seats and they have been keeping kids rear facing for a while now. Point being if there are kids that age in rear facing seat and they are still comfortable it is not an issue in my eyes.

JayKay

Caught the Bug
Point being if there are kids that age in rear facing seat and they are still comfortable it is not an issue in my eyes.

Good point! My wife just can't get past the fact that they look so uncomfortable. But I just tell her that if it bothered them they either change their position or complain when they woke up.

JayKay

Caught the Bug
Well, looks like we're taking the Jeep to Gulf Shores. Now I need to find a receiver hitch carrier at a reasonable price that has a long enough tongue to clear a 35" spare. I know Ace used to make one, but it's no longer listed on their website. I know I can buy any carrier and get a hitch extension, but I want to try to avoid all of the connections. Any ideas?

BdugJK

Have a great trip man! I got nothing on the hitch issue. Looking to set up mine soon as well good luck. (Bump)

JayKay

Caught the Bug
After some emails, ACE no longer offers the receiver hitch carrier. So I think I'm just gonna get the aluminum one from Quadratec, at least it bears their name so maybe it'll fit my JKU with a 35" spare, if not I'll have to get a short hitch extension. I'll post it up once I get it

Brute

Hooked
I just did 1200 mi rnd trip from Seattle to Moab...best part was that my kids were not in the jeep trying to force me to listen to rap music...

Now some idiot planned a cross country trip this summer from Seattle thru ID, MT, WY, SD & CO with my teenage daughters...for two weeks...what idiot would plan that?...Oh, that's right, it was me...

JayKay

Caught the Bug
I just did 1200 mi rnd trip from Seattle to Moab...best part was that my kids were not in the jeep trying to force me to listen to rap music...

Now some idiot planned a cross country trip this summer from Seattle thru ID, MT, WY, SD & CO with my teenage daughters...for two weeks...what idiot would plan that?...Oh, that's right, it was me...

Well I'd take rap music over crying and screaming toddlers, but I think we'll be fine since most of the trip will be through the night while they sleep

JayKay

Caught the Bug
Well the Quadratec aluminum cargo carrier fits with my 35" spare without a hitch extension [emoji106]🏻 ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1466032415.807011.jpg

Top Bottom