12' Gecko Build

desertrunner

Loving it brother!

Wow, this is really coming out nice! Good job :thumb:
Thanks guys it's really coming along. It's far from my last rubi on 37s but it feels so good to get this build started and get back out on the trails.

Next step for me is get the rear fenders cut and install my warn power plant.
I bought the winch used and it has some paint chipping off so I'm not entirely sure what I'm gonna do about that yet maybe just say F it and put it in and hope it doesn't rust or actually try to touch up the paint.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using WAYALIFE mobile app

desertrunner

Oh also forgot to mention I got the call from Motech and they have a rubi Transfer case for me so I'm gonna get that going and once that is in finally install all my Evo skid plates!!!

desertrunner

In regards to the 1/4 lb this was the bolt I failed to knotch the frame horn for

20170108_192038.jpg

As of right now my plan is to just leave it the way it is and possibly by a longer bolt to go in that hole so I can actually thread the nut on. I'm really not feeling like pulling it off for a 3rd time to knotch that frame horn but maybe I should?? I guess if I'm gonna do that I better do it before I put the winch in haha.

BananaJeep

Caught the Bug
Nice JK! I'm jealous of your Tacoma too. I have a 2012 Tacoma that I absolutely love. I wish I could afford one of the new 2016's but unfortunately that's not in the budget this year :naw:

desertrunner

Nice JK! I'm jealous of your Tacoma too. I have a 2012 Tacoma that I absolutely love. I wish I could afford one of the new 2016's but unfortunately that's not in the budget this year :naw:
The 16 sure is nice. I'm a little worried about all the computer stuff in it though, I feel like it might not be quite like the old tacomas that will do 250k+ and just keep on trucking but we will see. But so far I love it just clicked over 10k miles

BananaJeep

Caught the Bug
The 16 sure is nice. I'm a little worried about all the computer stuff in it though, I feel like it might not be quite like the old tacomas that will do 250k+ and just keep on trucking but we will see. But so far I love it just clicked over 10k miles

I was worried about that too. I opted for the 2.7 4cylinder in my 2012 because it's an old, proven design. I had a 1993 T100 with the 3.0 V6 and it was a tank. Drove the balls off it and it still ran great. We had a 1989 Toyota that the frame broke on it before the engine went out. They are proven trucks. I'm on a lot of the Toyota forums and constantly see the newer trucks hitting 300k+ so that's a good sign.

desertrunner

So I had some free time last night I decided to suck it up and just take the bumper off for the 3rd time and knotch the frame horn

20170109_180342.jpg
20170109_193717.jpg

Got the bumper put back on and finally 100% installed with all the supplied hardware. Only thing I haven't done is flip the rubi sway bar motor but I'm not worried about it, it can wait.

desertrunner

Only had a half day at work today as well so I got the rear fenders chopped. Hopefully this week I'll get around to painting the wheel well black like I did on my last one, the green sticks out a bit more than I would like haha.

20170110_152743.jpg
20170110_151618.jpg

desertrunner

Next up now that I got the bumper done is to get the my power plant installed. For anyone reading this that has the 1/4 lb power plant combo, I need to mount it in the left most holes and mount the Fairlead bracket on the passenger side right?

Other than that MOTEC shipped out my rubi T case today should be here in a few days, not too sure when I'll get around to that but once I do then the EVO Protec skids will go in as well.

desertrunner

Update from today's work. Got the bohemith of a winch installed. This thing is awesome so glad I was able to get my hands on one.

20170111_162231.jpg

Overall I thought I might sit a little too much nose low after the addition of the 1/4 pounder and power plant but I think for now it really doesn't look too bad. Might end up with a 1" spacer up front when I go put in new shocks... no idea when that might be though haha

20170111_162313.jpg

And rubi transfer case should be here tomorrow :)

AllAmericanInfidel

Caught the Bug
You rig is looking great! I saw a similar color yesterday at the dealership (Hyper Green) and I have to say it got the wheels turning in my head. The color is badass and the wife and I have been considering a Rubicon. Anyways, your rig is looking awesome, keep it up!

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

desertrunner

You rig is looking great! I saw a similar color yesterday at the dealership (Hyper Green) and I have to say it got the wheels turning in my head. The color is badass and the wife and I have been considering a Rubicon. Anyways, your rig is looking awesome, keep it up!

you know when this color first came out i thought no way in hell i would drive that every day, but after seeing it out for a few months i really started to like it. Of course i had already spent all my money on a white 08 Rubi build so i was shit out of luck. When i eventually sold the 08 Rubi to get a DD and started looking for another JK as a toy, man it took about 4 months to find one but im so glad i stuck it out for this color it puts a huge smile on my face everytime i see it. Now that the Hyper Green is out im almost a little bummed since its going to be less exclusive now but oh well its still bad ass! Im not entirely sure i would like it as much if it was my DD but i had a lime green ram pickup in high school so im used to driving a bright obnoxious vehicle.

Nice! Those power plants are massive

Its awesome Im so glad i got my hands on one, a guy on CL gave me a really good deal. Its used but i really have no doubts it will last. and i dont have an air compressor at all at home so its nice to finally have one. I keep joking with my wife that when we re do floors and base boards in a house im gonna pull the jeep up to the front door and run a nail gun off of it. :rock: she didnt find it too funny... i think because she knows i would actually do that :bleh:

AllAmericanInfidel

Caught the Bug
you know when this color first came out i thought no way in hell i would drive that every day, but after seeing it out for a few months i really started to like it. Of course i had already spent all my money on a white 08 Rubi build so i was shit out of luck. When i eventually sold the 08 Rubi to get a DD and started looking for another JK as a toy, man it took about 4 months to find one but im so glad i stuck it out for this color it puts a huge smile on my face everytime i see it. Now that the Hyper Green is out im almost a little bummed since its going to be less exclusive now but oh well its still bad ass! Im not entirely sure i would like it as much if it was my DD but i had a lime green ram pickup in high school so im used to driving a bright obnoxious vehicle.

Its awesome Im so glad i got my hands on one, a guy on CL gave me a really good deal. Its used but i really have no doubts it will last. and i dont have an air compressor at all at home so its nice to finally have one. I keep joking with my wife that when we re do floors and base boards in a house im gonna pull the jeep up to the front door and run a nail gun off of it. :rock: she didnt find it too funny... i think because she knows i would actually do that :bleh:

Funny, that same thought ran through my head when I fist saw it. I though the color was completely badass, but not sure if I would be satisfied with it as a DD. The more I look at it the more I'm being convinced otherwise. I like different, and as much as I love the Granite Crystal from my last rig (they have 2 GC Rubicons here on the island), I see them everywhere now. Hell, just in the last week 2 GC JKUs with half doors have popped up here on Wayalife. I really wish Jeep would have stopped making that color after 2014, but it kinda takes the luster off it for me when I see them everywhere. Definitely don't see too many Geckos or Hyper Greens around.

desertrunner

So just a little plug here for Motech, I put my name on the list in November they contacted me 2 Weeks ago saying they had one for me and shipped it out. Unfortunately in shipping the crate it was in fell apart and the Fed Ex guy dropped it bending one of the transmission studs. Now that's not that big of a deal but really it wasn't my fault it got bent so I called Motech and they were super cool about it just said hey send it back we will fix it and re send it back out. Well it came today and boy did they wrap the living hell out of it this time haha. Needless to say it made it to me safe this time and I can't wait to put it in. Thanks Motech!!!

20170124_213722.jpg
20170124_213909.jpg
20170124_214114.jpg

jkwebbie

So just a little plug here for Motech, I put my name on the list in November they contacted me 2 Weeks ago saying they had one for me and shipped it out. Unfortunately in shipping the crate it was in fell apart and the Fed Ex guy dropped it bending one of the transmission studs. Now that's not that big of a deal but really it wasn't my fault it got bent so I called Motech and they were super cool about it just said hey send it back we will fix it and re send it back out. Well it came today and boy did they wrap the living hell out of it this time haha. Needless to say it made it to me safe this time and I can't wait to put it in. Thanks Motech!!!

View attachment 240676
View attachment 240677
View attachment 240678

I'm kind of not surprised that it got dropped, those fuckers are pretty heavy for one person to carry and move around. But that was pretty bad ass of Motech 👍

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using WAYALIFE mobile app

desertrunner

I'm kind of not surprised that it got dropped, those fuckers are pretty heavy for one person to carry and move around. But that was pretty bad ass of Motech 👍

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Yeah i was a little surprised when i saw the shipping label say 108lbs didnt think it was THAT heavy

they ended up sending it through UPS this time around not sure the reason but the dude came to the door with it on a dolly so it was all good he wasnt struggling to carry it. But yeah thumbs up for Motech customer service :thumb:

Top Bottom