'15 JKUR Steering Wandering After Lift - Skid Control Light in Turns

USMCvet

Banned
As mentioned, the light steering feel is most likely being caused by your front axle having too little positive caster. Make sure that it's set at +4° and that should help with that. I've run MTR's and hated them because they, among other things, tended to track funny at highway speeds and they probably aren't helping anything either. If you're running more than 30 PSI in them, I would lower them back to about 30 as that might help a bit with the traction control but really, the main reason for it to ever go off is that your computer thinks you're in a slide. Triple check that your steering wheel is centered as it being off just a bit will make a difference.

Thanks for the info. I dropped the PSI to 28, adjusted the steering wheel to center again and bumped the tire size on the Flashcal to 36.5-37 and all is well. Caster is good at -4. That rear bracket is a PIA and allows the body to kick a bit in the turns at higher speeds. I'll lose that bracket when the adjustable track bar comes in. Much appreciated!

Rccrwlr

Thanks for the info. I dropped the PSI to 28, adjusted the steering wheel to center again and bumped the tire size on the Flashcal to 36.5-37 and all is well. Caster is good at -4. That rear bracket is a PIA and allows the body to kick a bit in the turns at higher speeds. I'll lose that bracket when the adjustable track bar comes in. Much appreciated!

But you want +4*

JudeinPa

I just installed a 2.5" spring lift over the weekend and mine too has some wander in the front end. I did adjust the steering wheel a few times while testing the adjustments in my driveway before heading out on a test drive. No skid control lights so far.

I suspect my caster is out and am going to buy either a set of front adjustable control arms or a set of the Teraflex Sport arms that are not adjustable and made for 2.5 to 3" lifts. Now to spring that one on my wife!

USMCvet

Banned
I just installed a 2.5" spring lift over the weekend and mine too has some wander in the front end. I did adjust the steering wheel a few times while testing the adjustments in my driveway before heading out on a test drive. No skid control lights so far.

I suspect my caster is out and am going to buy either a set of front adjustable control arms or a set of the Teraflex Sport arms that are not adjustable and made for 2.5 to 3" lifts. Now to spring that one on my wife!

I've adjusted everything and all is well. It ultimately was a bad drag link end. So I replaced the end and re-centered the steering wheel, this process took a few. All is well.

olram30

Not That Kind of Engineer
I've adjusted everything and all is well. It ultimately was a bad drag link end. So I replaced the end and re-centered the steering wheel, this process took a few. All is well.

wow, bad draglink end on a brand new 2015?

USMCvet

Banned
wow, bad draglink end on a brand new 2015?

Bad drag link end on a new aftermarket one. Just enough play to make it sloppy, coupled with a few other factors I already corrected. No worries, the replacement arrived yesterday via the Brown Santa's Sleigh and I'm going to install it first light.

USMCvet

Banned
I'm looking for recommendations for a good drag link and tie rod. The issues I've had with my skid control are resolved but the tie rod and drag link (flipped) I'm running are straight up garbage. They just are not quality. The grease boots don't fit/seat tightly to keep sand, dirt and contaminates mostly out of the joints. The drag link itself is installed properly, yet when I turn the wheel it rocks back and forth. This actually causes the steering wheel to have about a half an inch of play before the wheels turn. Suffice it to say, I've got nowhere with customer service with this Joke of a company. With that, your recommendations are appreciated.

USMCvet

Banned
Any luck figuring this out?

This is what it ends up being - Metalcloak manufactures an inferior product in their drag link and tie rod ends. The grease boot doesn't seat or cover the end completely and allows contaminates in causing premature wear. So, I'm looking for recommendations on a quality company for a drag link and tie rod.

olram30

Not That Kind of Engineer
What brand of drag link again?
On the tie rod, mc correct?
Look, people think I'm a dick when I don't recommend mc or say they are inferior product. It's always been just my opinion, so please don't take it the wrong way.

dwmgcs

I am using the Teraflex draglink flip and works really well and a stock replacement tie rod from crown, its about .080 larger than stock tie rod so I had to bore out my tie rod cylinder mount for my PSC hydro assist but its all working great.

USMCvet

Banned
I may break down and get a Currie drag link and tie rod. I'm just tired of screwing with it and I'm tired of MC blowing me off.

Top Bottom