15" or 17" wheels?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Eddie I appreciate the info. I like the 15" look but based on selection, future upgrades, brakes, and what you mentioned about sidewall flex, I am leaning towards the 17". Believe a 17x8 Black Rock D Window because of budget and either a 315 Duratrac or 35" Dunlop Fierce Attitudes because of budget. I am thinking more the Duratrac.

The Duratrac's are great tires and ones I would definitely recommend. The only other one I might recommend along the same lines is the new Toyo Open Country AT's as they now come with a 65,000 mile warranty.

JethroJK

The Duratrac's are great tires and ones I would definitely recommend. The only other one I might recommend along the same lines is the new Toyo Open Country AT's as they now come with a 65,000 mile warranty.

Those are nice tires but appear to run around 380 which I truly don't want to spend right now. I found the Duratrac 315/70R-17 for 293. But I still haven't ruled our Mud Grapplers.

One main reason I am looking at DuraTrac is I was getting transferred to San Diego but now getting transferred to CT which looking at terrain and snow (weather).

StrizzyChris

One main reason I am looking at DuraTrac is I was getting transferred to San Diego but now getting transferred to CT which looking at terrain and snow (weather).

You're absolutely correct! Winter and rain in the midwest/northeast coast and youll want all the sipping that you can get! Duratrac's are probably your best bet! If you plan to go back to cali or hit the rocks hard...the duratrac wall is a little weak for that and more likely to puncture

JethroJK

You're absolutely correct! Winter and rain in the midwest/northeast coast and youll want all the sipping that you can get! Duratrac's are probably your best bet! If you plan to go back to cali or hit the rocks hard...the duratrac wall is a little weak for that and more likely to puncture

So correct me if I am wrong but a D rated tire is a D rated tire in that it is a 8-ply tire, so the sidewall should respond as any 8-ply tire would correct? Unlike a Mud Grappler which is a E rated 10-ply tire.

I still plan to wheel these on rocks and once on east coast more mud but there will be some rocks etc. If the DuraTrac is not good for that application on top of the weather conditions let me know. I have seen where many say the DuraTrac holds up on the trails very well.

JethroJK

Well I finally decided. Went with my first choice, 17" inch wheel and 35" tires. But the wheels I ordered are on back order until end of April, so the new wheel Black Rock Intruder 910B are 17x8.5 with -6 offset and 4.5 backspace (which I haven't ordered yet) The 2.5 TF BB max backspace is 4.5 so I should be good right? These are getting fitted with Nitto Mud Grapplers, couldn't resist.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Well I finally decided. Went with my first choice, 17" inch wheel and 35" tires. But the wheels I ordered are on back order until end of April, so the new wheel Black Rock Intruder 910B are 17x8.5 with -6 offset and 4.5 backspace (which I haven't ordered yet) The 2.5 TF BB max backspace is 4.5 so I should be good right? These are getting fitted with Nitto Mud Grapplers, couldn't resist.

Yeah, you should be good with 4.5" of back spacing. It's the maximum I would recommend.

More side wall. When you air down you get more flex or cushion.

Range C tires will do that too. Range D or E will allow you to air down further and still have nice flex/cushion and still offer tough sidewalls. Of course, that's just my opinion.

Lane87

I have 15 inch MB72s.. I wish I would have went with 17s now that I've decided I want to get on 37s.

JethroJK

Yeah, you should be good with 4.5" of back spacing. It's the maximum I would recommend.

Awesome. I was thinking I would be ok but with it being the max back space and with the -6 offset just wanted to make sure I wasn't looking at it wrong. Thanks.

MTNBKR

JETHRO 71
I live in Ohio and have a lot of the same weather as you will have in CT. I run PROCOMP ATs and I can affirm, they have exceptionally well in the snow and rain. They clear thenselves of mud very well also, as well as running in $240:00 range. Good you went with 17's. I run 16's and may need to change later to 17's. Remains to be seen for the moment. 15's will fit some of the newer Jeep's, however another issue, besides caliper clearance, is mud packing into and around all you brakeing components due to closeness vs a 17" rim.
Good luck on your tire choice and PCS.
MTNBKR

StrizzyChris

So correct me if I am wrong but a D rated tire is a D rated tire in that it is a 8-ply tire, so the sidewall should respond as any 8-ply tire would correct? Unlike a Mud Grappler which is a E rated 10-ply tire.

you are correct, the rating is in respect to ply...BUT not all d rated tires are created equal! different rubber compounds and construction. Goodyear MTR-K's are D rated and have TERRIBLE sidewall strength.

JethroJK

JETHRO 71
I live in Ohio and have a lot of the same weather as you will have in CT. I run PROCOMP ATs and I can affirm, they have exceptionally well in the snow and rain. They clear thenselves of mud very well also, as well as running in $240:00 range. Good you went with 17's. I run 16's and may need to change later to 17's. Remains to be seen for the moment. 15's will fit some of the newer Jeep's, however another issue, besides caliper clearance, is mud packing into and around all you brakeing components due to closeness vs a 17" rim.
Good luck on your tire choice and PCS.
MTNBKR

Didn't think about the mud packing in around that 15" wheel. I will only be in CT for about 6 months and then to GA, so I finally decided and went and got me some Nitto Mud Grapplers. The problem is availability and selection of wheels. There are many wheels. I think I am going with a Level 8 ZX. We will see.

you are correct, the rating is in respect to ply...BUT not all d rated tires are created equal! different rubber compounds and construction. Goodyear MTR-K's are D rated and have TERRIBLE sidewall strength.

I hear you on "all things are not created equal" concept. I had heard about the MTR-Ks. I hope the Nitto Mud Grapplers live up to their name. Thanks

JethroJK

Finally...

35/12.5R17 Mud Grappler mounted on a 17X9 Level 8 ZX (-12 Offset/4.5 backspace) which later I can buy the optional rock guard for those wheels. Pics in a few weeks after lift and wheels are installed.

Thanks to all that help me with info!

Top Bottom