19 JL axle questions

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I ordered a completely loaded 19 Rubicon 2 door JL. The only options I did not get were smokers group, safety sensors, & block heater. I already called dynatrac. I’m going to order a prorock 44 housing. Gonna get rcv axle shafts but not sure about the locker. I’d like to keep an Eaton elocker in it but know arb air lockers are better. From there I’m gonna add 2” taller springs, teraflex falcon shocks, Adams driveshafts, aluminum skid plate from rock hard 4x4, raceline beadlocks, nitto ridge grapplers 37s. The 37s are for wheeling and I’ll put the 33s on for going back and forth. I also have arb dual air compressor, warn zeon10s platinum winch, and front facing camera to install.

I have to travel between Ohio and Georgia for work about a year to year and half till my daughter graduates high school and my wife moves down. Right now I have a 14jk polar edition with rock krawler 3.5” xfactor lift, race line beadlocks, 37s, prorock 44 unlimited front axle, dynatrac trail 60 rear axle, Adams 1350 driveshafts, evo protein skid plates, full psc hydro assist setup with their big bore box and cooler. It has more but you get the gist of it. I beat the hell out of this jeep on rocks wth no issues. Ben to rock garden @ creekbed at Rausch, black trails at windrock. I would like my JL to be able to do some of this stuff until I’m done commuting in it and buy crate 60s and do the same to this my jk does.

My main concern was the front JL axle breaking because of the hole from fad. Thanks for the info.

Wow, so many quality products in your list - not sure why Falcon shocks would be included in it. Of course, ride quality is 100% subjective and I suppose, you may prefer a stiff ride.

Neohiofan

What’s wrong with the falcons? They have done well for me so far. I do live in the Midwest so I’m not like the big ballers at Moab and out west. Plus they hold up well on the beach and at the mall. What shocks would you recommend for my new set up?

Last edited:

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
What’s wrong with the falcons? They have done well for me so far. I do live in the Midwest so I’m not like the big ballers at Moab and out west.

Why are big balled people in Moab? Gross.

Falcons suck. The leak, break and are made in China. And by terrorflex. Garbage like everything they make.

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
What’s wrong with the falcons? They have done well for me so far. I do live in the Midwest so I’m not like the big ballers at Moab and out west. Plus they hold up well on the beach and at the mall. What shocks would you recommend for my new set up?

Again, ride quality is 100% subjective and if you like the ride you're getting from yours, clearly, to each their own. As far as holding up well goes, I'm glad to hear yours have been so far. Clearly, when it comes to China quality control, some are made better than others.

teraflex-falcon-02.png

teraflex-falcon.jpg

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
What would you recommend for my new setup? I only had ranchos 9000xl before that.

I would recommend actually leaving the axle you paid extra for in until it breaks, if it even does. Skip the RCV’s since they are overpriced and loud. No need for an ARB until the factory locker goes out. Dyna Tran lift would fit your bill. Skip the racelines and the multiple sets of wheels/tires. Waste of money. Aluminum skids for what? Not needed. Driveshafts aren’t really needed for 2” lift either.

Just saved you about $10k. You’re welcome.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
LOL!! I have to say, that's actually some pretty solid advice that OverlanderJK just posted. I mean, unless you've got money burning a hole in your pocket. It might serve you well not to get so caught up in brand names and in what you think you need to buy and just get things as they're actually needed.

Neohiofan

I would recommend actually leaving the axle you paid extra for in until it breaks, if it even does. Skip the RCV’s since they are overpriced and loud. No need for an ARB until the factory locker goes out. Dyna Tran lift would fit your bill. Skip the racelines and the multiple sets of wheels/tires. Waste of money. Aluminum skids for what? Not needed. Driveshafts aren’t really needed for 2” lift either.

Just saved you about $10k. You’re welcome.

Thank you for the advice. I like to keep my money. Just put the 37s on the stock rims? I figured a full skid system for little extra protection. Figured driveshafts with 37s when in bigger rocks might twist one of them. If I’m wrong I will wait till I actually happens

deezus

I would say maybe check out Ranchos 2" sport lift. For $650 it can't be beat.

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Thank you for the advice. I like to keep my money. Just put the 37s on the stock rims? I figured a full skid system for little extra protection. Figured driveshafts with 37s when in bigger rocks might twist one of them. If I’m wrong I will wait till I actually happens

I would get quality beadlocks like trail ready or KMC.

How many driveshafts have you seen twist? I’ve seen pictures of a couple but never seen one happen in person. You wheel in parks, if it happens upgrade then. Not like you’re wheeling 200 miles from civilization like we do on the west.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
2” accutune springs

Any specific reason why?

While I have seen factory shafts barber pole, they've been the exception and not the rule and have typically happened in places like Moab where there's big undercut ledges and a LOT of traction. In other words, conditions ripe for an axle shaft or drive shaft break. Based on where you wheel, I don't think that'll be as much of an issue for you.

Neohiofan

They don't make 2" springs. They have 2.5" for front and 1" for rear. And they are made by eibach.

Sent from my SM-N960U using WAYALIFE mobile app

A local guy bought the accutune springs. Told me they are enough for 37s. What you wrote is probably what he was talking about. I didn’t ask specifically because jeep is not here yet. Dealer just called me 5 minutes ago and said it’s loaded on the carrier.

Neohiofan

Any specific reason why?

What my local guy recommends. He put them on his JL and wheeled it with no problems yet. Just figured I could save a few bucks adding little taller springs. If this is not the case I’ll look at dynatrac lift. Also I looked at Rancho lift but didn’t see a lift for the 2 door rubicons yet.

While I have seen factory shafts barber pole, they've been the exception and not the rule and have typically happened in places like Moab where there's big undercut ledges and a LOT of traction. In other words, conditions ripe for an axle shaft or drive shaft break. Based on where you wheel, I don't think that'll be as much of an issue for you.

I have never seen one twist. I drive mine home so I figured a few upgrades would be better on the safe side.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I have never seen one twist. I drive mine home so I figured a few upgrades would be better on the safe side.

LOL!! You mean, as in you don't trailer your Jeep? My brand new JL that I bought last February has 22,000 miles on the odometer. I work from home. ALL those miles come from driving out to trails, driving across hundreds of miles in some of the most remote locations in the lower 48, wheeling it out there and then driving back home again. Only recently did I install new drive shafts but ONLY because I'm not sitting at about 4.5" and was having issues with the factory rear shaft making contact with the gas tank at a full flex.

Granted, you do have a 2-door and your rear shaft will be really short and that would put your CV boots in a constant state of pinch and that lead to them wearing out sooner than later with enough lift but, 2" is hardly enough lift to worry about. :)

Top Bottom