1985 CJ-8 Scrambler Restoration

wjtstudios

Hooked
Body’s finally off the frame. Now just need to find a buyer for the rolling chassis. The body is off for media blasting, and from what I’ve heard is in better shape than we though. Here’s a couple shots of the chassis.

IMG_1380.jpg

IMG_1384.jpg

IMG_1390.jpg

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

wjtstudios

Hooked
Ok, here’s the good, the bad and the ugly.

The body is still very straight and overall minimal work will be needed.

IMG_1696.jpg

IMG_1693.jpg

But here’s where it gets ugly. Both “A” pillars are rotted at the floor pan and as nice as the paint looked from the outside it penetrated pretty bad under the rocker guards.

IMG_1690.jpg

IMG_1685.jpg

IMG_1691.jpg

I knew about those points, but what I didn’t know was how bad it had rotted under the roll bar mounting points. But now that we need to rework those areas, we are going to beef up those points with 1/8 plate where it ties into the frame mount points below.

IMG_1686.jpg

IMG_1688.jpg

IMG_1689.jpg

At least we now know and that’s why we are doing this before it got worse. Next to primer to protect the raw steel and then he’ll start cutting.

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

MSJKU11

Caught the Bug
If that's all the rust, that seems pretty good. At least you'll have piece of mind when it's all together that it will be rust free and patched.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

wjtstudios

Hooked
If that's all the rust, that seems pretty good. At least you'll have piece of mind when it's all together that it will be rust free and patched.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

He’s scoped a couple of the channels and other blinds points and that’s it so far

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

wjtstudios

Hooked
It could have been a lot worse...I'm dying to see this build buttoned up, man...

It’s going to take so much longer than I thought. The guy doing the restoration lost both his employees. One changed careers and the other started his own shop and left him hanging. But he’s committed to having it done for me by spring next year so we will see how the next couple months go. If Rob wasn’t so good at patching the body’s back up so cleanly, I’d consider a different direction. But in my area here in Detroit , he’s regarded as one of the best.

Even if he had it wrapped up this fall, it would get stored all winter anyway, so I’m not losing much driving time either way. But I’m with you, I want to see it back together!

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

wjtstudios

Hooked
Any updates on the restoration?

Slow as she goes.

The body is in epoxy primer and he’s working on patching the holes.

He sent the frame and trans skid out for powder coat, I haven’t seen those yet.

But we are making progress, just not quite as fast as I would like.

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

Top Bottom