2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Project

NHarris

Haven't made much progress on the lift as I haven't gotten around to getting tires... Trying to convince the wife that I should get tires, when her Taurus needs tires has become quite a tedious task... Anyway, I secretly snuck extra money into my budget to buy this set of five grey Rubicon Moabs... Picking em up Sunday. $175.00 find, not too shabby I think.

25160496_zps634f219e.jpg

TrailRidden

Ive always loved the way these turn out after a lift and tires with a little bit of armor around them. post pics when you got her up and running!

NHarris

Well I picked up a decent set of tires with 6/32s tread for $60.00 so I put those on with the new wheels...

wjbeforelift_zpsbd179e9d.jpg

Then I decided I wanted to put my lift kit on....

lifted1-2_zpsac5212d1.jpg

In comparison to my Explorer...
WJ_zpsda5a0bd8.jpg

arashi

Kinda good looking... I have to admit that I never imagine that a grand Cherokee could look so good! Nice project.

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

in4low

2004 GC Project

If you do a lift of 3" or above on a WJ I would make sure to Start with a long arm kit to avoid death wobble problems. Everyone I know of that has gone up 3.5" or more with short arms factory or adjustable has had death wobble. A good long arm kit has resolved that issue with all 11 of the ones I know of. Enjoy and have FUN!!!

DanMojo82

Nothing like a nice built up WJ or ZJ. It's just a shame that not as many parts are available for it, and good luck with a rear bumper for it :naw:

ssh6314

There are parts out there. You just need the checkbook. Actually more rear bumpers/w tire carriers than there are full fronts for the WJ. Flares are rare. And lifts are hard to come by. But there. I had 4" on factory short arms. It was fine. No wobble. Not even any wandering at 70. Drove perfectly straight. What was the downfall of my WJ was getting the diffs changed. The Quadra drive is extremely picky. And when the stealership put the same diff fluid as wranglers in it. The Quadra drive shredded both the front and rear diffs. While I was driving on the freeway.-.-

Edit: Didn't mean to counter what in4lo said at all. If you can do Long arms, you should for sure, It turns a decent WJ into something I would compare to Moby. Or at least Rubicat as far as capability, I have a friend who is still a WJ owner. His 6" long arm is insane, the flex is amazing, it made my 4" look like stock. Claytons 6" longarm is considered by alot to be the go to, most complete, and best available long arm lift for the WJ.
Sent from my PG86100 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Last edited:

NHarris

Thanks for the comments everyone!

So I've been noticing the front end of my Jeep sagging by 2-3" at least. I decided to call and ask about this, and I have to take it back to the shop and they're going to swap out the springs or put a set of spacers in it to get it to level out. Kind of frustrating but glad to see a business taking care of the customer! :thumb: Other than that I'm enjoying my Jeep a lot! Great to be a part of the Jeep family :D

SRAYMOND68

I THINK I MIGHT HAVE SEEN THIS JEEP LAST WEEK IN OGDEN AT THE GAS STATION. I WAS IN MY WJ ALSO GASING UP ON MY WAY BACK TO IDAHO. I REMEMBER YOUR WHEELS STANDING OUT LOOKS GOOD:thumb:

SRAYMOND68

Its a light blue with a small spacer lift, some toyo mts and idaho plates. I remember it was foggy that night because it made for a fun drive home.

NHarris

SRAYMOND68- I probably did see your Grand Cherokee. I remember an Idaho plate on a GC, and thats about it. lol

Well it was finally sunny enough and the Jeep was clean enough that I took it out for a few pics.

febr_zps89ab7ae9.jpg

febr2_zps88c19acb.jpg

febr1_zpsb1d238b1.jpg

Dixon4x4

Here is one we are building for a raffle vehicle that the Colorado Association of 4-Wheel drive Clubs does every year. As of now it has a 4" short arm lift, 32" Pro Comp Extreme M/T's, Rock Ware front bumper, M.O.R.E custom built rear bumper with tire carrier, Rigid Industries Dually Lights, Warn Zeon 8,000 winch, and we also cut out the factory spare tire well to raise the gas tank 5". ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1361063197.936073.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1361063222.756359.jpg

NHarris

Im digging that a lot. Looks really nice. Lets trade lift kits :p
Funny that you say you're running 32's on that with a 4" and im running 32's on a 3" lift. I would think you could go to a 33? Not too familiar with tire size for WJs

Dixon4x4

Actually a 32" is pushing it, as it sits right now when you are at full steering lock the tire catches the fender. We are going to have to trim a little on the fender to get good clearance. Every lift we found for the WJ recommends 31 or smaller, only a couple said 32's with minor trim work. But before we do that we are going to try a leveling kit and see if that will get us the clearance we need. Coming up in the next few weeks you will be able to buy raffle tickets online for this WJ.

Last edited:

NHarris

Definitely let me know on the raffle. I could use an extra WJ. Im clearing 32s fine. I have rubbing only because one of my wheel wells is busted.

Top Bottom