2007 diesel build or 2016 brand new?

Notsodirtyhippie

But you can't take the tops off of trucks. Well you can but its just not as fun! How quick are the jk motors? I drove a 98 for a little bit when I was between vehicles and that thing was terrible. 5mpgs and I'd have to down shift to 3rd to not stall out going up a hill. Max speed uphill was 40.

13_gecko_rubi

Caught the Bug
But you can't take the tops off of trucks. Well you can but its just not as fun! How quick are the jk motors? I drove a 98 for a little bit when I was between vehicles and that thing was terrible. 5mpgs and I'd have to down shift to 3rd to not stall out going up a hill. Max speed uphill was 40.

If properly geared they are just fine. The 3.6 in the 12+ is puch better than the 3.8 in the older ones.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Eddie, one could ask you the same thing about your V8... Always wanting more isn't a bad thing is it? ;)

Clearly you've never driven a jeep with a V8. I have and I've rode in others. It should have come like that from the factory. The factory motors just don't have the power for 40's and one ton axles.

lidless07X

A completely stock JK is more than "enough to get you off the beaten path and enjoy the outdoors while your kids are little".

Searching for the right '07,sourcing the parts, doing all the work, and ironing out all the bugs will cost you precious time out on the trails with your kids.

Go out today and buy your JK.

I live in Sweden so here we can choose between the diesel option and the 3.6 petrol engine.

I choosed the petrol over the disel because:

1: the petrol versions is cheaper.

2: But to me cheaper price is not important, what is important to me is how much more quiet and less smelly the petrol is. I think it really must be awfull to drive around with no door and roof and hear that disgusting oilburner and the smell from it on a beutifull trail with wonderfull scenery. It also spread its awfull noise in the cabin when roof and doors are on.

My dad has a jeep liberty 2007 ( called cherokee in sweden becaise no one here knowed what a jeep liberty was back then ) and I can tell you that my wrangler is much much more pleasant to drive, especially when it comes to noise.

Personaly I do not think that a big cumming disel is better in those aspects than the 2,8 crd disel that are used in the wrangler and liberty over here.

Last I´ve never understood whats wrong with the power of the 3,6 pentastar. With the low gear I´ve never ever felt any lack of power whats so ever. At least with stock or near stock tire.

In sweden the rubicon with the pentastar is alowed to tow 7000 pound. My Saharah is alowed to tow 4500 pound. The low number in the states must be a papperproduct because of fear of lawsuit.

Last edited:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Eddie, one could ask you the same thing about your V8... Always wanting more isn't a bad thing is it? ;)

One could ask but a v8 and a diesel are far from being an apples to apples comparison. Of course, that's just my opinion and clearly, we all have our own ideas of what "more" is.

How tolerable is the diesel exhaust smell on the trail? :thinking:

Trust me, it sucks or should I say, it stinks! :icon_crazy:

Clearly you've never driven a jeep with a V8. I have and I've rode in others. It should have come like that from the factory. The factory motors just don't have the power for 40's and one ton axles.

This ^^^

You're supposed to be the resident smartass... I figured at least you would know when someone's busting balls!;)

On a serious note, yes I have ridden in (and driven) v8 jeeps. A friend of mine was doing hemi swaps back in the day at a dealership across town and I was able to try a couple out. Yes they are fun, yes they are more powerful, I'm not knocking them in any way and more power to those that have them.

I will say that diesel is the future and you might want to embrace this because it's coming and once they are here you will wonder why you ever questioned them. Just to preface this so you don't think I'm biased... I love v8's and I love power. I'm currently building a one off coyote foxbody turbo that will be capable of 1000hp so I get it.

Having said that a diesel is a better option for the jeep in almost every way which is why Chrysler is going to eventually put them in wranglers and not v8's. By the way wranglers overseas already have them! They get better fuel economy. Wranglers in Europe w/diesels get almost 30mpg. They are lighter which has obvious benefits for off roading. They make gobs of torque, something that someone with big tires would appreciate. Lastly, modding them results in much bigger gains in usable areas than gas. Ever driven a 1ton diesel with 1000 ft/lbs? If you would have you'd know.

I understand it's not familiar just like 4door jk's weren't when they came out but look at them now. All I'm saying is to have an open mind because contrary to what "you" think... Chrysler will never make a v8 wrangler, it's not gonna happen.

To the OP, my advice would be to wait on the diesel swap. Although unconfirmed, its a very good chance that Chrysler will release a diesel wrangler in America in 2018. I would just buy one then and save yourself a bunch of money. Good luck!

Oh almost forgot as to the "smell." The newer diesels with all of the emissions and additives smell nothing like the diesels of old that many relate to.

WJCO

Meme King
So I'm not yet a proud jeep owner yet. It's only taken 7 years of marriage to talk my husband into it. Sooo my options are:
1. Buy a 2007-2008 jk rubicon 4dr for $16-$17k then dump a 4bt cummins in it. 37in tires. Not super concerned about the Nevada DMV bs. I can change my address to my moms and claim seasonal residency.
The kit for misc parts is around $7000, engine and trans $5000 range. Husband will do the install. He's a diesel fan big time and has torn our f250 apart and rebuilt the heads. And replaced the transmission. Currently he's in the garage and has the motor of our xterra completely apart. Pretty good mechanic for an electrician.

Or option 2. Just buy a new jk rubicon with lifetime warranty and call it a day.

Honestly I like the last of electronics in the few 2007s better. Simple is better to me, less to go wrong.

I don't want a huge rock crawler, just enough to get us off the beaten path and enjoy the outdoors while my kids are little.

The price point is about the same both ways. The 2007 might be a little less $ but a ton more work.

Thanks in advance

A completely stock JK is more than "enough to get you off the beaten path and enjoy the outdoors while your kids are little".

Searching for the right '07,sourcing the parts, doing all the work, and ironing out all the bugs will cost you precious time out on the trails with your kids.

Go out today and buy your JK.

I'm gonna be an odd man out here too and say go with the new Jeep. You said it took you 7 years to talk your husband into it, you have young kids, etc. Time is ticking. If you really want to get out on the trail with the family, buy the ready-made Jeep with a warranty and have fun. If you do the diesel swap, no matter what the advantages are, your husband could spend tons of time in the garage doing and running in to snags while you're waiting to get out and have fun with the Jeep. I would do the new Jeep from a time sensitive/practical purchase. Projects are great, but they can suffer a lot of down time.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I'm gonna be the odd man out here and say go with the new Jeep. You said it took you 7 years to talk your husband into it, you have young kids, etc. Time is ticking. If you really want to get out on the trail with the family, buy the ready-made Jeep with a warranty and have fun. If you do the diesel swap, no matter what the advantages are, your husband could spend tons of time in the garage doing and running in to snags while you're waiting to get out and have fun with the Jeep. I would do the new Jeep from a time sensitive/practical purchase. Projects are great, but they can suffer a lot of down time.

Wow, well said. Sounds advice and one that I couldn't agree with more.

Notsodirtyhippie

The smell is almost nonexistent on our diesel without a cat. But I do think the noise would drive me a little crazy since the front doors will be off most of the time, we're in Vegas so the doors wouldn't be needed. I'm really glad I asked this question. Love having all the points made from different perspectives.

Thanks you guys! :)

I'm going for a new one! Is there any way to find out what colors are going to be offered for 2017? I'm not liking the colors offered for 2016 or even 2015. Well besides white. And I will not own another black vehicles, the water spots here are horrible.

I'm going for a new one! Is there any way to find out what colors are going to be offered for 2017? I'm not liking the colors offered for 2016 or even 2015. Well besides white. And I will not own another black vehicles, the water spots here are horrible.

Dealerships will be able to place orders for 2017's mid summer so you'd be able to get a definitive answer to that then. They will most likely be the same though with one or two new choices possible.

kyle521

Havent read through, but why you looking to spend 15k on a jk that you will strip down. I see high mileage jks around me going for around 10k

Notsodirtyhippie

Havent read through, but why you looking to spend 15k on a jk that you will strip down. I see high mileage jks around me going for around 10k

The cheapest one around here is maybe $14500, and that's on a good day. For whatever reason they hold their value really good in this area.

If we don't get new we'll get lightly used. If there is such a thing. The more we think about it the less the warranty is a must. My hubs is pretty mechanically inclined and right now has our xterra broke down all the way to heads. So dealing with the dealership for fixes just seems like a pain in the butt.

If we go used, what years should we avoid? I made the mistake of looking up complaints on the nhtsc?

kyle521

The cheapest one around here is maybe $14500, and that's on a good day. For whatever reason they hold their value really good in this area.

If we don't get new we'll get lightly used. If there is such a thing. The more we think about it the less the warranty is a must. My hubs is pretty mechanically inclined and right now has our xterra broke down all the way to heads. So dealing with the dealership for fixes just seems like a pain in the butt.

If we go used, what years should we avoid? I made the mistake of looking up complaints on the nhtsc?

You could always look elsewhere and shipping it, especially if it means saving around $4-5000.

As far as years to avoid, I have an 07 and havent had any issues that other years don't have, and havent heard of anything specific to certain year wranglers, meaning jks

You could always look elsewhere and shipping it, especially if it means saving around $4-5000.

This is definitely a viable option, just make sure you go look at it first. Buying an inexpensive used car sight unseen usually spells disaster but you probably already knew that!

Top Bottom