2010 tranny fail

Moochie

I drove about 50,000 miles with my 4:10's and 35's. Re-geared to 5:13's and drove another 30,000 with 37's. At this point my engine took a dump due to an oil consumption problem. Never had any trouble with my transmission. 2008 auto.

jeeeep

Hooked
I have a 2010 and ran it about 40k miles with stock 4.10 before upgrading to 4.88 - I'm over 92k miles now

I just got in the habit of using the OD off if it automatically downshifted and then would watch my rpms to change, once the rpms dropped and stayed low I would flip the OD back on.

The jump from 3rd to OD (4th) is a lot in the 2010 which is its biggest issue with hunting for gears even with the slightest inclines.

bigtrucker52

Okay ya'll I need some knowledge. I have a 4dr unlimited sport 3.8 automatic 30,000 miles ...running on 35's and a 3 inch coil spring lift. Brought my baby in for an oil cooler line leak. They replaced it under warranty. Then the day after it was repaired my transmission took a dump and wouldn't go into gear. Because I have modifications Chrysler has denied my warranty. So it needs a new tranny. Should I change the gear ratio? The dealership claims my tires are what ran my tranny into the ground. So any advice about the gear ratio solution would help me tons :)

Mine is a 2008 fully stock and i bought it used last april with like 40,000 miles and in december my tranny failed as well and i had to get my engine or something that went bad in my engine as well back in december and i only drove it for like 7k or 8k miles.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

NattyG

I have a 2010 and ran it about 40k miles with stock 4.10 before upgrading to 4.88 - I'm over 92k miles now

I just got in the habit of using the OD off if it automatically downshifted and then would watch my rpms to change, once the rpms dropped and stayed low I would flip the OD back on.

The jump from 3rd to OD (4th) is a lot in the 2010 which is its biggest issue with hunting for gears even with the slightest inclines.

Is there a big difference with the 4.88 and the 5.13 ? I wasn't planning on doing any re-gearing yet but since it's already getting torn down better now then later.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Is there a big difference with the 4.88 and the 5.13 ? I wasn't planning on doing any re-gearing yet but since it's already getting torn down better now then later.

a 5.13 in a D30 axle will have a pinion that is really really small - that will be a weak point.

Christarp

Like many others I've been running 4.10's with 35s for a while now (at least 10k miles), and have absolutely no issues with this setup (other than being sluggish). I seriously doubt the tires had caused the issue you're having. just my :twocents:

jeeeep

Hooked

I went back and forth for almost a month trying to decide between 4.88 and 5.13 - I went with the 4.88 because of how much I drive and tow and I find myself locking out OD quite often (trailer towing, mountain passes etc..) and wanted to be able to maintain a higher highway speed (I-70 through Colorado is my base gauge) . If I would have gone 5.13 I figured I would have lost the ability to lockout OD at the higher speeds and would be closer to the top end of the power band.

Off-road I lock out OD anyway and it's all good...

I'm happy with the 4.88's, I get good highway speed and gas mileage. When towing I always lockout OD anyway and the rpm still stays within the power band and when I swap in an LS the 4.88s will be perfect with 37's :beer:

StrizzyChris

My trans ran good... Off road and street, even with the small oil cooler leak. I did calibrate my speedometer. I won't re-gear then unless I decide to go bigger with my tires. Most definitely never bring it back to the dealership and hopefully the new trans will last me more then 30k :) so question if I change out my 35's to 37's is that when I re-gear?

Just to be clear, and not meaning for this to sound condescending at all, you do know that you won't be regearing your transmission for these tires right? That the regear they are mentioning is in the axles.

Also, if Chrysler didn't flag your Jeep, I'd temporarily switch someone for a set of stock tires and try a different dealership to see if they'll replace the trany. That is if you haven't already paid them to replace it? I think Smokey(moochie's rig) went to the dealership on skates one time if I'm not mistaken

NattyG

Just to be clear, and not meaning for this to sound condescending at all, you do know that you won't be regearing your transmission for these tires right? That the regear they are mentioning is in the axles.

Also, if Chrysler didn't flag your Jeep, I'd temporarily switch someone for a set of stock tires and try a different dealership to see if they'll replace the trany. That is if you haven't already paid them to replace it? I think Smokey(moochie's rig) went to the dealership on skates one time if I'm not mistaken

No I understand that completely. They were just blaming my trans taking a shit because the big tires and that it did not have enough power to handle 35's. So re-gearing would help take some stress off the trans. That's why I was asking if it would help because while the trans is dropped out I would just tackle the whole big issue at hand. Even though there wasn't one to begin with till the dealerships mechanic f'd it up :)

Sc741

try taking this to other forums and see what you get schmuck!

No,
in other words the tranny failed after only 5600 miles.
The larger tires CAUSED the tranny to hunt for gears. The hunting for gears was a symptom of that CAUSE.
the root CAUSE of the problem was not the OD switch. It was the larger tires.
If all jeeps tranny's failed at 5600 miles because people didn't turn off the OD switch, there would be a recall and thousands of bad automatics.

Top Bottom