2013 King of the Hammers info thread

GCM 2

Where you going to race EVO Jeep? Isn't the EVO lever limited to the unlimited class? I thought I remember reading about that last year.

I hate it when life gets in the way of living.

Edit: this is what I was thinking.
http://www.jk-forum.com/jk-show-tel...hammers-production-jk-unlimited-class-213679/

the EVOlever is to fast for the stock class, which means they have to run with the buggies :crazyeyes:

Ray, is correct. I knew this from last years event and from talking with Mel. A few years back when I decided to commit to it, it was one class only; Unlimited. EVOJEEP is capable......but it doesn't have the ponies under the hood to start off, needs a full roll cage and fuel cell too. There are some lighting requirements that must be added also. Basically, three years ago I could have entered my rig. The race series has grown into something even the founding promoters never imagined (and thats a great thing) It would be cheaper for me to buy a TJ and just race the everyman's challenge class, than strip the EVO lever off the rear and do a coilover setup through the tub. Right now I am looking for some used raced cars that might be able to get into the the unlimited class without much modifying. I have a couple of guys willing to do some entry level sponsoring for me, they already sponsor a mutli-million dollar Funny car team and LeMans race team. I am just not quite ready to give up my very well paying job, have my family starve, all while I chase the podium. There is an old saying, "if you want to make a small fortune in racing.....start with a large one"

CRAZYCASEY

Id love to be there to check it out this year. Ill keep an eye on this thread, Id love to take the motor home out for the week.

piginajeep

The Original Smartass
That's a good saying. My dad drag races every weekend back in Ohio, I don't think he's ever made money after all the break downs and entry fees.

GCM 2

Id love to be there to check it out this year. Ill keep an eye on this thread, Id love to take the motor home out for the week.

Hell, I still need to eventually get together and wheel with you and a few of the boys from Phoenix. From reading the other forum, sounds like you have been hitting the trails pretty regular since your jeep has gotten built up with all those beefy parts. I am actually back in PHX this weekend and I was going to hit the jeep jamboree in north Scottsdale, but my jeep is still in SoCal from last weeks Offroad expo. Glad to see you over here Casey!

CarsonCindy

Administrator
Staff member
Ray, is correct. I knew this from last years event and from talking with Mel. A few years back when I decided to commit to it, it was one class only; Unlimited. EVOJEEP is capable......but it doesn't have the ponies under the hood to start off, needs a full roll cage and fuel cell too. There are some lighting requirements that must be added also. Basically, three years ago I could have entered my rig. The race series has grown into something even the founding promoters never imagined (and thats a great thing) It would be cheaper for me to buy a TJ and just race the everyman's challenge class, than strip the EVO lever off the rear and do a coilover setup through the tub. Right now I am looking for some used raced cars that might be able to get into the the unlimited class without much modifying. I have a couple of guys willing to do some entry level sponsoring for me, they already sponsor a mutli-million dollar Funny car team and LeMans race team. I am just not quite ready to give up my very well paying job, have my family starve, all while I chase the podium. There is an old saying, "if you want to make a small fortune in racing.....start with a large one"

Wow, Greg I didn't know you wanted to race KOH. That would be awesome! :thumb:

btw, I hope you don't mind, but I updated your first post in this thread with KOH info. :D

RockIt Man

Anybody from Texas planning on heading out there? I'm considering going (pending wife approval)

Maybe we can convoy...:thumb:

GCM 2

Wow, Greg I didn't know you wanted to race KOH. That would be awesome! :thumb:

btw, I hope you don't mind, but I updated your first post in this thread with KOH info. :D

Thanks for the update on the thread Cindy! Yep, way before I met you guys I did lots of road racing in a few race cars I owned, a little Baja/desert action and actually used my built up TJ for some Rock Racing.....and then came the first year of the King of the Hammers and I knew thats what I was going to do. The race has gotten so much attention and grown so fast, there was no way the promoters could keep to the original tenants of not having a big fat book of rules and basically being open to anyone and any rig. It really is a great thing the event has become such a professional venue, but now the era of the homegrown racer doing well has almost passed (at least in the unlimited series). I am still moving ahead in the direction of racing again, even if its just helping out with chase duties, crew support, or co-driving, I will continue to be involved with the sport at any level possible!

CRAZYCASEY

Hell, I still need to eventually get together and wheel with you and a few of the boys from Phoenix. From reading the other forum, sounds like you have been hitting the trails pretty regular since your jeep has gotten built up with all those beefy parts. I am actually back in PHX this weekend and I was going to hit the jeep jamboree in north Scottsdale, but my jeep is still in SoCal from last weeks Offroad expo. Glad to see you over here Casey!

Thanks Greg. Any time you want to head out just let me know. I wont be doing the jamboree either but I will be heading to table mesa on sunday. A few of us will be doing the Parker Desert Splash in november which is always a blast. Hit me up anytime you want to wheel, Im game!!!

jktubby

Thanks for the update on the thread Cindy! Yep, way before I met you guys I did lots of road racing in a few race cars I owned, a little Baja/desert action and actually used my built up TJ for some Rock Racing.....and then came the first year of the King of the Hammers and I knew thats what I was going to do. The race has gotten so much attention and grown so fast, there was no way the promoters could keep to the original tenants of not having a big fat book of rules and basically being open to anyone and any rig. It really is a great thing the event has become such a professional venue, but now the era of the homegrown racer doing well has almost passed (at least in the unlimited series). I am still moving ahead in the direction of racing again, even if its just helping out with chase duties, crew support, or co-driving, I will continue to be involved with the sport at any level possible!

Lets race?? Lol i've only raced my 350z in time attack thats about all. I've never tried baja, i bet this would be interesting too. Glad your getting back into it little by little.

redman333

jktubby said:
Lets race?? Lol i've only raced my 350z in time attack thats about all. I've never tried baja, i bet this would be interesting too. Glad your getting back into it little by little.

I had a 350z and had a TN Turbo kit on it.

Attachments

• image-2447004900.jpg
    image-2447004900.jpg
    238.3 KB · Views: 113
  • image-1370288713.jpg
    image-1370288713.jpg
    134.1 KB · Views: 111

MTG

Caught the Bug
I'm still hoping to come down. No plans made yet. If I do, I'll likely only come for Th-Sat. No hotel booked, might just sleep in the jeep. :idontknow:

Trying to time it with having ORE do my regear, but that seems a bit complicated so who knows what's going to happen?

GCM 2

Tuesday-Saturday

I will be pulling duties in the pits for the Discount Tire sponsored, Off Road Evolution EVO1 and EVO TJ teams. Look for my EVOJEEP out in the Hammers, stopped by and introduce yourself :rock:

FallonJeeper

Think we're going to head down to Hammertown on the 3rd and depart on the 10th We'll be in Team garage 237 on the cornetr of Branik Blvd and Mastercraft Manor.

NV 775 is our car number.

MTG

Caught the Bug
FallonJeeper said:
Think we're going to head down to Hammertown on the 3rd and depart on the 10th We'll be in Team garage 237 on the cornetr of Branik Blvd and Mastercraft Manor.

NV 775 is our car number.

Never been but planning to go. How's it work? Can we stop by and say hey?

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Is the camping first come first serve? Or does the Wayalife crew normally have a spot that is all together? Don't want to have to stumble too far at night.:beer:

Top Bottom