2014 JKUR small coolant leak at thermostat housing

Trail JK

Just had mine fixed on my 2014 this past week. It seems to be a pretty big problem because the parts were on back order for a month. They did cover it under warranty.

Linebacker

Caught the Bug
Casting sand or what ever it was, was related to the 2012 and some 2013. Issue has reportedly been fixed for the later 2013 and all 2014

Sent from my SPH-L710 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Had a cyl head and the thermostat replaced at the same time on my 2012. I never smelled coolant or saw evidence of any leakage. All handled under warranty. Apparently some are worse than others. No worries since.:idontknow:

tatonka56

Sorry for replying to an older thread but I just started having the same problem and I'm curious if this is becoming a common issue with '12+ JK's? I have a 2014 with just over 11K miles and noticed I was leaking radiator fluid out of that screw as well. Not enough to leave a wet spot in the garage, but enough to lose fluid. Hopefully getting it replaced under warranty will fix the issue...in the meantime I just tightened the screw a bit.

Here's some pics to show the issue I was having:

The problematic screw -
2015-07-31 11.19.44.jpg

What it looked like from below -
2015-07-31 09.51.56.jpg

scull20

Figured I'd jump on the bandwagon here. 2014 JKUR, 36,055 miles (WOMP no more warranty)...sounded like a water fountain inside my dash from air in the heater core, coolant reservoir was practically empty as well.

Never ended up smelling the coolant leak, so who knows how long this has been going on. Found some residue on the t-stat housing after reading this thread and going out to take a look under the hood.

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1458261035.273328.jpg

Tree Frog

I would be interested in what the fix turns out to be.

Is the housing cracked or is it gaskets? Curious as I have had a few issues now with the cooling system, heat and radiator.

wyorubi

I also had a cracked radiator on my 14 jku with only 39000 miles. I kept smelling it and finally pulled the fan shroud and found it. I decided to install a mishimoto radiator instead of the stock one with plastic tanks. I have also been hearing a waterfall sound on startup, even with the new radiator. This seems like its a reoccuring problem with the 12-14 jks.

scull20

I also had a cracked radiator on my 14 jku with only 39000 miles. I kept smelling it and finally pulled the fan shroud and found it. I decided to install a mishimoto radiator instead of the stock one with plastic tanks. I have also been hearing a waterfall sound on startup, even with the new radiator. This seems like its a reoccuring problem with the 12-14 jks.

If you're still hearing the waterfall then there is most likely still air in your system. I'd burp the system again...otherwise you may have an issue with the heatcore :mad:

JoeB-JKURX

Coolant Reservoir Empty

I hope this thread is the right place for this posting. I had seen this a week or so ago and, finally, got around to checking my coolant reservoir. Found it to be (almost) bone dry (a little sludge at the bottom). Since I bought it new in February of 2014, I've had it in three times a year to get my "free" oil change at the dealer (where they also say they top off the other fluids as necessary). I immediately scheduled an appointment with the dealer service to get it checked (didn't see any crust around the thermostat housing or any place else but couldn't imagine where the coolant had gone). The service manager called a few hours after I dropped it off and told me that they had just finished a "vacuum" test on the cooling system and that they could find no leaks. I thought at the time that it was strange that they would use a vacuum test and not a pressure test. When I went to get the Jeep, I spoke with a different service tech (the original had gone for the day) and he told me that he thought they had done a "pressure" test. In any case, I bought a jug of OAT concentrate ($27 with tax) to be safe and will be keeping an eye on it from now on. Question for those that have been doing their own fluids for a while. How long do you have to go between adding coolant before the level gets too low?

scull20

I hope this thread is the right place for this posting. I had seen this a week or so ago and, finally, got around to checking my coolant reservoir. Found it to be (almost) bone dry (a little sludge at the bottom). Since I bought it new in February of 2014, I've had it in three times a year to get my "free" oil change at the dealer (where they also say they top off the other fluids as necessary). I immediately scheduled an appointment with the dealer service to get it checked (didn't see any crust around the thermostat housing or any place else but couldn't imagine where the coolant had gone). The service manager called a few hours after I dropped it off and told me that they had just finished a "vacuum" test on the cooling system and that they could find no leaks. I thought at the time that it was strange that they would use a vacuum test and not a pressure test. When I went to get the Jeep, I spoke with a different service tech (the original had gone for the day) and he told me that he thought they had done a "pressure" test. In any case, I bought a jug of OAT concentrate ($27 with tax) to be safe and will be keeping an eye on it from now on. Question for those that have been doing their own fluids for a while. How long do you have to go between adding coolant before the level gets too low?

I can't attest to whether or not your levels were actually topped off during those oil changes. I have read of people with newer JK's complain of lower coolant due to air being burped out of the heater core and then coolant levels dropping. If it passed a vacuums test...top off the coolant and check it daily for any changes in the level.

13_gecko_rubi

Caught the Bug
Mine has been back 3 times and every time has been pressure tested with no issues. I can smell the antifreeze and I need to top it off about every 6 months. Clearly it is leaking so the pressure test isn't totally good at finding. I'll find it some time

Imatjen

Jeep should recall this faulty thermostat. I am at the dealer and the mechanic showed me multiple similar broken leaking thermostats he had sitting in his old parts bin. He showed me my leak and then showed me three more thermos that he replaced recently. Mine is a 2013 with only 16k miles and is only 2 months past the warranty (bought new 8/2014). Service manager approved approved special discount due to timing.

Top Bottom