2015 skids?

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
But, the one thing that most people tend to overlook is the fact that your oil pan is practically situated over your axle - definitely between your tires and so long as you're picking a good line, keeping your tires ON the obstacle instead of under your rig like you're supposed to, listening to your spotter and not doing anything stupid - it's actually REALLY HARD to hit your oil pan in the first place. The only times I've ever hit my oil pan in the past has been when playing on really tough and loose rock gardens and the hits were always at a very slow speed. Even without a skid, the hits just put a dent in the pan. Any time I have seen or heard of a pan getting punctured, the guy driving was an idiot. But again, that's just what I've seen.

Oh I don't disagree at all. The chances of hitting it are small, and the chances of puncturing it are even smaller. My only worry, and it is a small worry, is simply that puncturing an oil pan could be catastrophic, which is why for me personally, I like having the piece of mind that I have some layer of protection. I also think that the damage would come from something stupid and not expected, like running over a stick in the forest that ends up swinging around impaling the pan or something crazy like that. For the small financial outlay and the evo unit being relatively lightweight, I'd want to run it, even though I fully admit that it is a "lightning strike" scenario.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
LOL!! Like I said and so that it doesn't get missed, I DO recommend people get an oil pan skid plate all the time. Just cheap insurance. I just think people don't need to obsess over not having one or catching the lip on an EVO one. :cool:

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
LOL!! Like I said and so that it doesn't get missed, I DO recommend people get an oil pan skid plate all the time. Just cheap insurance. I just think people don't need to obsess over not having one or catching the lip on an EVO one. :cool:

Did you hear about Teraflex's new product? Cross drilled oil pan....lightweight, but must be installed correctly, otherwise, your motor will blow and they'll blame it on installer error.

TheStick

But, the one thing that most people tend to overlook is the fact that your oil pan is practically situated over your axle - definitely between your tires and so long as you're picking a good line, keeping your tires ON the obstacle instead of under your rig like you're supposed to, listening to your spotter and not doing anything stupid - it's actually REALLY HARD to hit your oil pan in the first place. The only times I've ever hit my oil pan in the past has been when playing on really tough and loose rock gardens and the hits were always at a very slow speed. Even without a skid, the hits just put a dent in the pan. Any time I have seen or heard of a pan getting punctured, the guy driving was an idiot. But again, that's just what I've seen.

I hit mine in the first month, only dented not punctured. And I agree, I was being stupid and fell off my line :blush: :crazyeyes:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I hit mine in the first month, only dented not punctured. And I agree, I was being stupid and fell off my line :blush: :crazyeyes:

:cheesy: Trust me, I was speaking from personal experience. :blush:

main.php

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
:cheesy: Trust me, I was speaking from personal experience. :blush:

main.php

Gotta say, big ups to the engineers for using a stamped steel pan (which dents) rather than an aluminum one that cracks. I guess someone there stayed at a Holiday Inn. :thumb:

H8ROADS

Caught the Bug
The good news is that even if you do dent your oil pan its not a big deal to replace, but the skid definitely helps. I ordered the 3.6 protek system for my stocker but haven't installed it yet.

Re OP's concern about debris, I agree that is' really not a big deal. Nothing a good power washer or car wash can't fix.

Top Bottom