2017 Jeep JL Wrangler : What You Can Expect to See Besides IFS

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Once the new model is out, I will probably pick up a second current generation to play with. I don't see a JK IFS replacement as necessarily a bad thing. I do think modifying it will cost significantly more, especially if the factory suspension makes use of a lot of aluminum.
I remember in 06 all my Jeep friends saying that the JK was a pig, the JKU was for nothing but soccer moms, and that this was going to be the end of Jeep as an off road vehicle.......;)

LOL!! Forget the JK, you should have heard all the hate for the TJ when YJ guys found out that it was gonna have coils!! :shock: I mean, a real Jeep should have leaf springs!! :cheesy:

How much wheel travel will it need to match the JK's RTI in stock form?

I wonder how a floating-diff/IFS setup will work under pre-running conditions... Could we have a underpowered Raptor on the horizon?

JKDriver

LOL!! Forget the JK, you should have heard all the hate for the TJ when YJ guys found out that it was gonna have coils!! :shock: I mean, a real Jeep should have leaf springs!! :cheesy:

Yeah, Ive heard that too. Every time I hear someone cry over the newer generation Jeeps and talk about the "good old days",
I invite them for a ride in the MB....

Picture001Small.jpg

jjsmail

We'll it looks like I might have to start saving up and get ready to buy the last year of the JK's. So I can have 2. But this will no doubt be very interesting in the next few years.

Christarp

I'm excited for it, I really want to see what direction they go with it, will definitely be really interesting. Plus I'll finally own the version of the wrangler that didn't kill the wrangler name (just like how the yj did when it came out and the tj did when it came out and how the jk is killing the wrangler name now :rolleyes2:)

I'm also excited to see what kind of stuff ORE will do with them :clap2:

Last edited:

Hack12

Yeah, Ive heard that too. Every time I hear someone cry over the newer generation Jeeps and talk about the "good old days",

Picture001Small.jpg

Haha, I agree. :thumb:

Change is always hard to stomach at first.

piginajeep

The Original Smartass
Yup, that too. I doubt that it'll actually look like this when all is said and done but, I have to admit, I kinda like the 2-door rendering with the CJ5esque body lines.

I'm open to the new design. I just think the rendering is bogus.

IFS means I get to install the sweet IFS 60's from Dynatrac..

piginajeep

The Original Smartass

Picture001Small.jpg

I couldn't agree more, someone made a comment on the new small jeep concept about it being too small compared to the jk and it wasn't a jeep.

My first thought was, this guy has never driven a Willys before or owned a jeep before the JK

crowrb29

My primary worry, if I even get a new wrangler, would be cost. I have heard of dudes with ifs putting upwards of 5 G's just in their front end to have the same level of performance that a rubi with a 2000 dollar suspension has in every situation but high speed stuff.

StrizzyChris

Plus I'll finally own the version of the wrangler that didn't kill the wrangler name (just like how the yj did when it came out and the tj did when it came out and how the jk is killing the wrangler name now :rolleyes2:)

The YJ and those freaking square headlights still bother me....and I owned one for a while thinking I'd get used to it :naw: TJs and LJs just rock!

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
My primary worry, if I even get a new wrangler, would be cost. I have heard of dudes with ifs putting upwards of 5 G's just in their front end to have the same level of performance that a rubi with a 2000 dollar suspension has in every situation but high speed stuff.

Each successive Wrangler to come out has cost more than the one before to build up but, each has been a hell of a lot more capable right out of the box too. Even with IFS/IRS, I have little doubt that the new Wrangler Rubicon will out perform the current JK Rubicon in an apples to apples comparison. It's the building it up beyond that is going to be a bit harder on the wallet.

Spartan

I would never get a Wrangler with a non removable top. I love going topless! Even if you if your just driving around town topless is the way to go if it's nice out.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I would never get a Wrangler with a non removable top. I love going topless! Even if you if your just driving around town topless is the way to go if it's nice out.

I am so with you on this. Nothing screams Jeep more than having the top and doors off and it's how I prefer to run my Jeep. But, let's be honest here, how many Wranglers do you see with their top off even on the most beautiful of days? Even the rumors have all been saying that the steel top will just be an "option" and if I could guess, it'll come with a rag top like the old Liberty had or some kind of dual sun roof like the new Renegade has. And, as sad as it is to say, I'll bet it'll be their biggest seller.

Kenny-g

Caught the Bug
I agree, if they have a steel roof model, it'll probably sell ridiculously well. I think they should have a hard top with removable windows like this rendering sorta has. That would be ridiculously awesome if they do that and I'd want one real bad.

All sorts of gnarly off road vehicles have IFS but nothing is as capable off road as the Wrangler is and most of it is because of it's solid axles. Now, that being said. What did the ole 2wd JKs have for their front suspension? My point being if people can convert 2wd JKs to 4wd, solid axled JKs, I don't see why they couldn't convert a IFS set up to a D44 or even D30. Companies like Artec would hop on that shit lickedy-split much like they make Ford 8x8 rear axle conversion kits for TJs.

I have to say though that this is probably going to look pretty close to the actual model. Swooped back grille and windshield, more plastic all over, bumper with removable end caps (since everyone is going to stubbys immediately anyway lol), IFS, different hard top/possible metal roof, etc.

I think it'd be cool if they made them a little smaller again but that's not gonna happen. No one has ever gone down in size from one generation to the next in recent years. Just look at the Tundras over the last 20 years or even the Frontiers. I think three different versions would be sorta neat, a normal 2 door, a longer 2 door, and then the 4 door. The longer two door could have a solid roof I guess but basicall it could be what they built trucks off of with that JK8 type body with small tub area. This way the cab wouldn't 'feel' cramped and it could have a metal roof (sorry, but I doubt they'll have a removable roof truck available form factory).

This is all my $0.02

Ahhh the days with no doors and roof are so close :wings:

It can't get here soon enough lol

StrizzyChris

All sorts of gnarly off road vehicles have IFS but nothing is as capable off road as the Wrangler is and most of it is because of it's solid axles. Now, that being said. What did the ole 2wd JKs have for their front suspension? My point being if people can convert 2wd JKs to 4wd, solid axled JKs, I don't see why they couldn't convert a IFS set up to a D44 or even D30.

Well a the 2wd jk still had a solid axle, it just didn't have a 4wd transfer case. Switching that axle out and installing a tcase with front drive shaft, etc is not nearly as difficult as an IFS. BUT it can and has been done, much like the FJ crowd.

Tigrcky

Well a the 2wd jk still had a solid axle, it just didn't have a 4wd transfer case. Switching that axle out and installing a tcase with front drive shaft, etc is not nearly as difficult as an IFS. BUT it can and has been done, much like the FJ crowd.

to add to strizzy i believe you have to replace the transmission as well unless you use a free-hanger style transfercase

Indefatigable

Not sure if you have seen this, but here is an article from the Geneva auto show. Talking the future of the Wrangler. March 6th.

http://www.goauto.com.au/mellor/mellor.nsf/story2/38217283373CD25BCA257C92007BB5BB

Says some things that we would like to hear (retaining current underpinnings), but also with others it sounds like they do not know what they are talking about. ie Aluminum not strong enough? LR has been making aluminum bodied units for decades for use in remote and rugged areas around the world.

Kenny-g

Caught the Bug

I didn't know they used a axle like that. Well still, the concept is the same and theoretically the transfer case should/could work fine with the stock IFS. We'll see I guess.

Top Bottom