2017 Willys Wheeler JKU Silver Wolf

gheller

Great looking Jeep. I like the contrast black. How do you like those rock sliders? They're the only ones I've found that fit with the stock RubiRails and I've been thinking about doing the same as you. I like the added protection, especially in case of an accident.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Thanks, I'm glad I saw Napalms build thread and went with Silver because it does contrast well with the black.

I like these sliders a lot. They mount to the body mounting bolts as opposed to some others that mount with clip nuts to the pinch seam. They look very clean and finished with the Rubi rails.

Another brand that I saw many using are the ACE sliders. They look similar to the Barricade (at least to my quick glance at them once) and also mount with the Rubi rails.

These things are heavy at about 40lbs each so they should add some more protection from an impact. I've noticed that if a car parks to close to me in a lot and opens their door it will hit the slider before it hits the Jeep. :thumb:

MoxieMedic

Thanks, I'm glad I saw Napalms build thread and went with Silver because it does contrast well with the black.

I like these sliders a lot. They mount to the body mounting bolts as opposed to some others that mount with clip nuts to the pinch seam. They look very clean and finished with the Rubi rails.

Another brand that I saw many using are the ACE sliders. They look similar to the Barricade (at least to my quick glance at them once) and also mount with the Rubi rails.

These things are heavy at about 40lbs each so they should add some more protection from an impact. I've noticed that if a car parks to close to me in a lot and opens their door it will hit the slider before it hits the Jeep. :thumb:

Great to know [emoji16] Thank you.

gheller

Funny diagnosis

So this afternoon I head out to work taking the usual route, which is only about a 5 minute drive. As I go over a bit of bumpy road I hear a slight "ting ting ting" sound. Kinda sounds metallic but not certain. Its not loud and only seems to happen occasionally on slightly rough road.
Its really not much, but I've been so pleased with this Jeep and just hit 1000k miles and it has been nothing but perfect. No rattles, groans, strange noises, quirks... nothing. I mean, I'm not unrealistic and do know that in time I will start to hear things, feel things and that new "Jeep" smell will be gone but I didn't want it to happen this soon.

The sound seems to come from in front and inside the cabin. I know there's nothing in the glove box that can make this particular sound, or in the center console. I start banging on different parts of the dash and seat and door, etc to see if I can make it happen. Well, no luck. Get to work and gotta go. Get out of work and start her up, letting the engine warm up a couple minutes before I take off as I always do. Driving home and I start hearing the tinging sounds again. Damn, I know its not a mechanical sound that I need to worry about but it will for shit sure drive me nuts.

I reach over to the glove box and I hear a louder ting. I sit back and reach over again and hear the Ting again.

Turns out I'm wearing a winter jacket that I haven't worn much before in the Jeep. The zipper has a metal dongle hanging off it and that is knocking against the side of the shifter console... :asshat::pointing:

MoxieMedic

Gheller I don't know how large your apartment is or if you have a 6x3 area to squeeze something into but .. a hardtop cart may work for you. The hardtop stands straight up on the cart. I got one off CL for $40 (steal) and was able to squeeze mine into a corner of my garage. If you live upstairs I can see it being more of a problem. I just put my top back on Saturday, the weather was getting nasty. I know of folks that talk friends into letting them store their tops where there is room.

gheller

SmittyBilt GEAR Tailgate Storage

I had this SmittyBilt GEAR Tailgate MOLLE Storage system laying around waiting for Jeep to arrive and so i got it in and set it up. It holds the two bags ( that came with it) well. I just received a Bartact large MOLLE bag from quadratec (waiting for me when I came home this evening) and I think i can get it to fit on the back here and move these two bags below it.

The Bartact bag should be about half the height and a bit more than half the width of the tailgate system. I will find a way and report back! :brows:

Last edited:

gheller

Gheller I don't know how large your apartment is or if you have a 6x3 area to squeeze something into but .. a hardtop cart may work for you. The hardtop stands straight up on the cart. I got one off CL for $40 (steal) and was able to squeeze mine into a corner of my garage. If you live upstairs I can see it being more of a problem. I just put my top back on Saturday, the weather was getting nasty. I know of folks that talk friends into letting them store their tops where there is room.

When there's a will, there's a way! That's great. I live on the 3rd floor and the elevator is somewhat small. My neighbors (many of them are old folk) always give me the look when they see me bringing in huge boxes, such as the glass sliding shower doors I ordered from amazon and installed myself. Or the huge AC that was delivered and sitting outside my door for the whole day lol, not to mention all the Jeep stuff.
It wouldn't work, however, they have storage bins for sale that are kept in the basement. They are like storage pods, about 5x8ft and 6ft tall. I put my name on the waiting list to get one. Once my name comes up I can buy the pod and then pay a small annual fee to keep it. That would be the most plausible way for me to store the top and doors if I want in the near (hopefully) future.
Thanks for the tip on that cart.

gheller

Back Trail Outfitters Between the Roll Bars Wheel Well Storage Bags

Speaking of storage, I wanted to find some set up that would utilize that area over the rear wheel well and behind the rear seats without going out past the wells.

I saw a few things, one from DirtBagz and another from Rightline but then i came across these from a company called Back Trail Outfitters.
Between the Roll Bars Wheel Well Saddle Bags

https://www.backtrailoutfitters.com...between-the-roll-bars-duffel-4-door-unlimited

They also make some other cool Jeep storage stuff. I'm thinking of getting the Roll Bar Duffel bag next as i was very impressed with these Saddle bags.

Made in the USA

The saddle bags mount to the hardtop mounting bolts with 2 leather straps. If you have a soft top, they provide two mounting bolts and washers.

These bags dont take up any room, just utilize that dead space between the roll bars on the wheel well. They come in leather or canvas.

They are 87.99 on their website but i found them cheaper on AllthingsJeep.com

gheller

Cooper Discovery STT Pros 295/70/17, Spidertrax 1.5" Wheel spacers

Now, the mod that most all of us look forward to more than all else....new and bigger Tires.

I originally thought I was going to get new wheels too, (level 8 trackers) but when i took delivery of the Willys and saw those gloss black wheels with the little Jeep silhouettes on them, I knew i had to keep them.
That means i would have to get wheel spacers, oh no! I read many posts about people frownoing upon wheel spacers. I didnt know why, they bolt on securely like a wheel and then the wheel bolts on to them. i never heard of any tragedies with them.

After reading through Eddies FAQ for Newbies, he mentions wheel spacers as being safe as long as you get the quality spacers that bolt on.
http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?...s-Every-Newbie-has-about-the-Jeep-JK-Wrangler

I decided to go with the name most trusted it seems when it comes to spacers, Spidertrax. 1.5" spacers.

I installed them before taking my Jeep over to Hilna tires where they had my Cooper Discovery STT Pros 295/70/17 waiting for me.

While they were mounting the tires and the Jeep was on the lift, i had Ronnie drop the front axles for me and put in some Rugged ridge .75" leveling spacers because I was planning on a front bumper next and i wanted to make sure it didnt weigh the front down too much.

I love these tires, man. I think they look great and they feel great on the road. They make a very slight hum at highway speeds, but honestly thats like music to my ears. The sound is so low and mild Its really a non issue for us.
The tires do come out about an inch past the fender flares and that looks fine to me, except one day i had a 250lb passenger in the rear and I was accelerating on an entrance ramp to the parkway and there was a slight dip in the road and I just heard a slight scrape of the tire on the rear flare.

I decided i would go with a slight lift.

I purchased the AEV 2" spacer lift which looks like a good and complete BB. I'm having that installed next month.

The Jeep really feels good with these Cooper tires, and I'm so glad i kept the stock Willys wheels. BTW, I did a chalk test on the tires and have them inflated to 32psi, may drop them down to 30.

^^^ Those are the stock tires coming off^^^

Last edited:

DeJkUnlimited

Caught the Bug
Speaking of storage, I wanted to find some set up that would utilize that area over the rear wheel well and behind the rear seats without going out past the wells.

I saw a few things, one from DirtBagz and another from Rightline but then i came across these from a company called Back Trail Outfitters.
Between the Roll Bars Wheel Well Saddle Bags

https://www.backtrailoutfitters.com...between-the-roll-bars-duffel-4-door-unlimited

They also make some other cool Jeep storage stuff. I'm thinking of getting the Roll Bar Duffel bag next as i was very impressed with these Saddle bags.

Made in the USA

The saddle bags mount to the hardtop mounting bolts with 2 leather straps. If you have a soft top, they provide two mounting bolts and washers.

These bags dont take up any room, just utilize that dead space between the roll bars on the wheel well. They come in leather or canvas.

They are 87.99 on their website but i found them cheaper on AllthingsJeep.com

Nice find! I will be looking into these or something very similar. :thumb:

Napalm

I had been on the fence between Black and Billet silver. I came across a Wayalife member Napalms build thread here and really liked how that metallic silver shined and contrasted off the black. Napalms thoughts and description of the color sold me too! I felt that would be the color to offset the Willys appearance package and so I ordered the Billet Silver. Thanks Napalm :thumb:

Just seeing this, but thank you for the kind words! I am grateful that Steel and my build thread have helped you choose the color you did. Glad to help in any way I can :)

Can't wait to see how this build evolves. Subscribed!

tippedover

Nice looking jeep! I like the name going with wolf, I have been trying to come up with a name for a while never figured go with a animal but you got me convinced![emoji106]

gheller

Just seeing this, but thank you for the kind words! I am grateful that Steel and my build thread have helped you choose the color you did. Glad to help in any way I can :)

Can't wait to see how this build evolves. Subscribed!

Thanks, man. Much appreciated. The fastback top and stinger on your rig is killer.

This Jeep modding thing is addictive...and costly. I remember at the start of your thread for Steel you were going to keep the mods down to a minimum, but that quickly faded from the plan :thumb: Glad it did though, cause you've got an inspiring build there.

gheller

Nice looking jeep! I like the name going with wolf, I have been trying to come up with a name for a while never figured go with a animal but you got me convinced![emoji106]

Great, go for it! :thumb:

Awesome looking Jeep

Thank you

Great looking rig and nice build thread, it's giving me some good ideas.

Cool, and thanks for your time to look and comment.

gheller

New Tires on, "old" tires gone

So before I even had the new Cooper tires put on I put the stock Willys tires (all 5) on CL. I live in an apartment and I would have to keep the stock tires in the back of the Jeep and so I was plenty motivated to get rid of them fast. As soon as I put them on CL I got a few bites. I wound up selling them that same evening I had the new Coopers on. A local guy with a 2015 Grand Cherokee runs the 255/75/17 BFG KM tires on it. When he came by to get them, I looked at his old tires and they were completely gone lol.
He said he was waiting for someone to put these up sooner or later. He got a steal on them at 500.00 for all 5. 4 had less than 600 miles on them and spare never saw the pavement.

Top Bottom