2017 Willys Wheeler JKU Silver Wolf

gheller

Great start on this build. Can't wait to see it hit it's first trail or two👍

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using WAYALIFE mobile app

Thanks, I usually head upstate or out to NJ for some Wanderlust photography adventures hitting the backroads and trying to find interesting things. In my ford Focus, many of the off the beaten paths were off limits but hoping the Jeep will give us some access to other places. Still have to be careful not to tread on anyone's property.

I intend to look up some locations nearby that have off road trails.

gheller

Front Bumper, installed

I spent so much time contemplating which front bumper I was going to go with.
I knew I wanted a full width, recessed winch bumper with ends that come up to meet the flares. I wanted full protection from the many whacky drivers around here and the many near misses with deer when I'm driving upstate or NJ.

I was originally going to go with either the ARB or the AEV full width front bumpers. Both look great, high quality and tough. There were things i didnt care for with each though. On both, i think the huge grill guard is maybe too huge. The bar is so thick and tall that it hides the iconic front grill of the Jeep. Also, they come so close to the grill at top that i have heard of people with the Hood Locks having trouble accessing the lock with the bars in the way.

The ARB also has those indicator lights on the outter area that i dont want. I was considering just painting them black if i got the ARB

The AEV is a fine looking bumper but also has that issue with the hood lock, and at nearly 1500.00 I better love it, and i dont. Like it alot, yes.

The Barricade Trail Force HD full width bumper looked good. It had everything I wanted including having that extra bit of steel coming down acting as a sort of skid plate built in. I also like the size and forward leaning design of the grill bar.
Installation was simply bolt on, no mods needed except for extending the fog light harness as the Fogs are mounted further away from stock location. Price was alluring too...

So, thats what I decided on.

Being i live in an apartment and didnt want ths thing delivered to my door, I had ET have UPS hold it at their local facility so I could go pick it up at my convenience.
Needless to say, the box was YUGE! Woulnt fit in the rig, so i had to take it out of the box, angle it in the back with front passenger seat all the way forward, then break the boxes flat and get it all in.
I kept it in the Jeep for about two days until my day off and the weather was right for me to head across the street to the parking lot and get started on installing the new bumper.

Removing the stock bumper was fairly easy, although a little time consuming with basic hand tools. The longest part of the task was extending the factory fog light harness. I had bought some wire loom and electrical tape and simply opened up the loom on the passenger side where you will find about an extra 10" of fog light wire harness. Pull it away from the rest of the harness, add the new loom and tape it up nice. This just allowed me to reach each fog light in their new locations.

The new 2017 LED fog lights ( by Myotek) mounted right up to the Barricade bumper with the screws and locknuts they provide. After mounting them I had a friend drop by for a few minutes on his way back from work and he and i lifted the bumper and it slepped easily into the mounting locations. I think I could have handled it myself but had him come by just in case.

After getting the new bumper on, I put the stock bumper on CL and had it sold in a few days for 125.00

gheller

Front Bumper license plate and D Rings

The Barricade bumper comes with bare steel D Rings but i wanted some black powder coated Rings so i bought the MBRP rings and Daystar rubber isolators.

In NY we are required to run with a front license plate. The only holes on front of the bumper are for a fairlead to mount to. So for the first few days i had zip tied the licese plate to the fairlead holes until my Tuffy #333 Hawse fairlead license plate flip bracket arrived.

This can install without actually having a Hawse failead ye, unlike brackets for roller fairleads where it needs to attach to the roller fairlead. Since when i get a winch eventually i will use synthetic line, i will be ready to mount the Hawse fairlead with my plate.

gheller

OEM Air Dam fitting to Barricade Front Bumper

To finish off the front bumper install, I would have liked to keep the factory Air Dam. Some like to remove the Air Dam but i like the finished look it gives plus it helps keep the corrosive rain water and road debris out of the engine compartment. Some say it helps with fuel efficiency but I'd say that benefit would be so small that i wouldnt bother for that alone.

I mounted the OEM air dam up by the rear mounts and then measured to see what i would need to trim off and how i could attach it in the front.

I trimmed the Air Dam with a fine tooth hack saw and finshed off the rough edges a bit with a file. Cut three slots/flaps to accomodate the bumpers three winch reinforcment brackets that would get in the way. Drilled 4 holes and used 3 very thick, outdoor extreme weather rated tie wraps to secure the outter locations to the frame and the inner to the middle winch reinforcement bracket. they should last quite a long time, but if and when they wear away i simply replace with new tie wraps. The way the air dam rest above the bumper, even if the tie wraps were to come off the dam would remain secure and above the bumper. Might just flap a bit without the tie wraps.

So now the air dam below the bumper gives a more finished look and still provides a bit of protection from the elements getting up under the hood.

Barricade does make a dedicated skid plate that mounts to this bumper but from what i heard its a pita to install. They didnt design it very well.

So there it is, thats just about up to date with all my mods.

Coming up next are some Trail Rockers, Magnaflow axle back dual exhaust, Rigid 50" Radiance light bar, AEV 2" spacer lift, Warn M8000s Winch, LED interior lighting replacemet bulbs, Rigid Rear lights, Rear Bumper (possibly Teraflex or Poison Spyder)

Last edited:

gheller

Delivery at my door, Magnaflow dual axle back exhaust in black

Quadratec shipped this quick.
Delivery guy didn't even ring my bell, I opened the door and see this box standing in front.
Looks to be well packed and in good shape.
I've heard these mufflers on videos and reviewed and they supposedly have a nice growl to them without any annoying highway drone. Hoping it adds a nice tone.

Attachments

• IMG_1822.jpg
    IMG_1822.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 222
  • IMG_1821.jpg
    IMG_1821.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 267
  • IMG_1823.jpg
    IMG_1823.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 265
  • IMG_1826.jpg
    IMG_1826.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 272
I really like what you did with that bumper. Looks super clean!

To finish off the front bumper install, I would have liked to keep the factory Air Dam. Some like to remove the Air Dam but i like the finished look it gives plus it helps keep the corrosive rain water and road debris out of the engine compartment. Some say it helps with fuel efficiency but I'd say that benefit would be so small that i wouldnt bother for that alone.

I mounted the OEM air dam up by the rear mounts and then measured to see what i would need to trim off and how i could attach it in the front.

I trimmed the Air Dam with a fine tooth hack saw and finshed off the rough edges a bit with a file. Cut three slots/flaps to accomodate the bumpers three winch reinforcment brackets that would get in the way. Drilled 4 holes and used 3 very thick, outdoor extreme weather rated tie wraps to secure the outter locations to the frame and the inner to the middle winch reinforcement bracket. they should last quite a long time, but if and when they wear away i simply replace with new tie wraps. The way the air dam rest above the bumper, even if the tie wraps were to come off the dam would remain secure and above the bumper. Might just flap a bit without the tie wraps.

So now the air dam below the bumper gives a more finished look and still provides a bit of protection from the elements getting up under the hood.

Barricade does make a dedicated skid plate that mounts to this bumper but from what i heard its a pita to install. They didnt design it very well.

So there it is, thats just about up to date with all my mods.

Coming up next are some Trail Rockers, Magnaflow axle back dual exhaust, Rigid 50" Radiance light bar, AEV 2" spacer lift, Warn M8000s Winch, LED interior lighting replacemet bulbs, Rigid Rear lights, Rear Bumper (possibly Teraflex or Poison Spyder)

DeJkUnlimited

Caught the Bug
Nice work on the bumper! Did I read your post correctly? You did not have to splice your fog light harness because there is close to 10" of extra wiring folded up from the factory. That's pretty cool if so.

gheller

My Second Son, Iki

Our cat Iki loves when the delivery man comes with a new box! That's him in my last post trying to size up the Magnaflow box and how he can find a way in.

I was never much a cat person, was always more of a dog guy but somehow wound up with three cats. All rescues. Not allowed dogs in our apartment.
Long story but I tooknin our first cat (the oldest female) for my son Kyle because he's all into animals, any animal really and he loves the cats.
My son found him outside in our backyard almost 10 years ago when we lived at another location.
Iki was a day old we guess and his mother removed him from the liter possibly because he had worms. He would have died if Kyle did not hear him yelping out there. We took him in and took him to the vet who gave him a slight dose of med for his worms and gave him a 50/50 chance. Told us not to get too attached to him.
So we nursed him, bottle fed him and the little runt grew up to be a big cat that follows us around wherever we go in the apartment and also loves boxes as you can see.

Attachments

• IMG_0008.JPG
    IMG_0008.JPG
    33 KB · Views: 264
  • IMG_0007.JPG
    IMG_0007.JPG
    28.7 KB · Views: 252
  • IMG_0021.JPG
    IMG_0021.JPG
    39.4 KB · Views: 271
  • IMG_0298.jpg
    IMG_0298.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 266
  • IMG_0394.jpg
    IMG_0394.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 275
Last edited:

gheller

Nice work on the bumper! Did I read your post correctly? You did not have to splice your fog light harness because there is close to 10" of extra wiring folded up from the factory. That's pretty cool if so.

Yes, that's right. In the passenger side if you split the loom where the fog light wires come out you can spread it back and open up at least another 10". There is also a extension kit in Amazon that comes with two extension plugs that plug into each side and then plug into the fogs.
When I opened the loom and released more wire it reached and fit fine but it was not quite slack enough for me to tie wrap and secure exactly as I wanted so I just got the extension kit to add to one side just to give me enough slack to secure the way I wanted. I don't know how well the extension kit works as I have not tried it yet.
One day I'll get around to it and see how it goes.

DeJkUnlimited

Caught the Bug
Before I purchased the Hard Rock and had our Sahara I was beginning research on front bumpers. Knowing I was most likely gonna have to extend the harness and that I wanted JW Fogs, I had preordered the harness extensions. I like the Hard Rock bumpers so I will most likely never use the harness extensions.

meljr

Paying it forward

So before I even had the new Cooper tires put on I put the stock Willys tires (all 5) on CL. I live in an apartment and I would have to keep the stock tires in the back of the Jeep and so I was plenty motivated to get rid of them fast. As soon as I put them on CL I got a few bites. I wound up selling them that same evening I had the new Coopers on. A local guy with a 2015 Grand Cherokee runs the 255/75/17 BFG KM tires on it. When he came by to get them, I looked at his old tires and they were completely gone lol.
He said he was waiting for someone to put these up sooner or later. He got a steal on them at 500.00 for all 5. 4 had less than 600 miles on them and spare never saw the pavement.

When I was just starting to mod my 08 JKUX, CL was my new best friend. I bought several Rubi take offs (wheels, tires, sliders, bumper with fog lights) from other Jeepers and made some new friends at the same time. They recovered some funds from things they didn't need any more and I was able to start my mods earlier than if I had to buy new. It turned out to be a win-win and I made a few new wheeling buddies as a result. I thought I was buying a Jeep, but I ended up finding a community of brothers (and a few sisters).

Your build is really coming along nicely,

-meljr

ELBRAVO

Great post!
Thank you for sharing.

If you are lucky enough to own a Hard Rock JK, you may want to consider the following:

I was blessed to find my retirement Jeep about two (2) years ago, when I traded in my 2013 Sport (2) door Stock JK and found a -fully loaded- (used) 2013 10th Anniversary (10A) two (2) door Rubicon in West Palm Beach Florida.

To my surprise, the 10A - 2 door Rubicon was practically brand new, with only 4,000 miles on it!

After talking to the factory I giving them my VIN, I found out that they didn't build a lot of these models during the first year, because you would have to order them ahead of time from the factory---something I would not -- be able to afford.

Just my humble opinion:
If I ever do make any mods, I plan to keep it as close to Stock as possible.
The dealer told me that if I had modified my original stock 2013 JK , that they could have Not given me what I had invested in it, such as new wheels, tires, lift kit etc. when I decided to trade I in at a dealership.

My point being is that if you can afford it, do not get rid of the original OEM parts, because if you ever decide to trade it in with a lot of money invested in custom parts, that you may not get your money back from your investment. In fact, they may not give you the real worth in new modifications, and even deduct the value of your rig, just because of the actual market value-all things being considered.

Thank you for sharing all of your thoughts and photos!

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

MoxieMedic

I never tried to put the plastic wind guard back under my new bumper. I finally bought the barricade skid plate you mentioned. It's sitting in the garage just begging to be installed. I'll post some pictures and comments about the install once I put it on

gheller

When I was just starting to mod my 08 JKUX, CL was my new best friend. I bought several Rubi take offs (wheels, tires, sliders, bumper with fog lights) from other Jeepers and made some new friends at the same time. They recovered some funds from things they didn't need any more and I was able to start my mods earlier than if I had to buy new. It turned out to be a win-win and I made a few new wheeling buddies as a result. I thought I was buying a Jeep, but I ended up finding a community of brothers (and a few sisters).

Your build is really coming along nicely,

-meljr

Good way to see it, and very true. CL has always been great for me over the years no matter what I was looking for or trying to get rid of. As you say, we sometimes meet up with others with similar interests and we all benefit beyond the initial transaction.

gheller

Great post!
Thank you for sharing.

If you are lucky enough to own a Hard Rock JK, you may want to consider the following:

I was blessed to find my retirement Jeep about two (2) years ago, when I traded in my 2013 Sport (2) door Stock JK and found a -fully loaded- (used) 2013 10th Anniversary (10A) two (2) door Rubicon in West Palm Beach Florida.

To my surprise, the 10A - 2 door Rubicon was practically brand new, with only 4,000 miles on it!

After talking to the factory I giving them my VIN, I found out that they didn't build a lot of these models during the first year, because you would have to order them ahead of time from the factory---something I would not -- be able to afford.

Just my humble opinion:
If I ever do make any mods, I plan to keep it as close to Stock as possible.
The dealer told me that if I had modified my original stock 2013 JK , that they could have Not given me what I had invested in it, such as new wheels, tires, lift kit etc. when I decided to trade I in at a dealership.

My point being is that if you can afford it, do not get rid of the original OEM parts, because if you ever decide to trade it in with a lot of money invested in custom parts, that you may not get your money back from your investment. In fact, they may not give you the real worth in new modifications, and even deduct the value of your rig, just because of the actual market value-all things being considered.

Thank you for sharing all of your thoughts and photos!

Yep, as with many passion/hobbies we obsess with it's mostly a labor of love, not investment. We never get back what we put in especially if you tack on the hours of work.

For the most part though, mild mods won't hurt resale/trade in value too much but more radical mods could.
Jeeps that are heavily modded would benefit more listing privately through classifieds. There is someone out there looking for that rad Jeep and would be willing to pay to have it as it is.

It's a good point about keeping the OEM parts bit in my case having no place to store them it isn't practical.

Top Bottom