3.6L problems..

borracho

The new head fixed the 0306 issue but, I still have cooling issues. Nothing too bad now that we've re-geared but, they are still there. From what I understand, newer heads allow for better cooling and people who've gotten them don't even have this issue.

How soon into ownership were you seeing cooling issues? Just wondering if I am still driving a ticking time bomb or not. I hear folks have had issues any where from pretty much brand new to 20k miles later. I only have 13k but so far I havent had any CELs or other issues with respect to the heads.

noroad

How soon into ownership were you seeing cooling issues? Just wondering if I am still driving a ticking time bomb or not. I hear folks have had issues any where from pretty much brand new to 20k miles later. I only have 13k but so far I havent had any CELs or other issues with respect to the heads.

HAHA I have 25000 on my 12 now and i still worry, every once in a blue moon i think i hear something and i turn the radio down and listen, Wondering when this new motor is going to take my money. But hell its a jeep she can have it lol.

crowrb29

Got the jeep back today from the shop, made it about 6 miles and the check engine light can back on with the exact same codes and the engine started over heating. Turned around and took it right back. The poor thing felt like it was limping by the time it made it back. Hopefully they can actually get their shit straight this time around and fix my jeep. Before I took it from them today they had told me they replaced the cylinder head...... Really disappointed in chrysler right now.

RUMMY

What build date did the 13s get the updated heads

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

rox-n-mud

Got my oil changed by the stealership the other day. Just finally looked at the receipt, they put 5W-20 in. On the valve cover and in the manual it says 5W-30. Does anyone think they may do this cuz of the head problem? I claim ignorance here, I really don't know. Someone school me up on oil weights and such.

GuillaumeC91

Got my oil changed by the stealership the other day. Just finally looked at the receipt, they put 5W-20 in. On the valve cover and in the manual it says 5W-30. Does anyone think they may do this cuz of the head problem? I claim ignorance here, I really don't know. Someone school me up on oil weights and such.

My '13 says to put 5w20 in but mine is a Canadian model. My understanding is that with 5w30 you can basically run the engine/oil in a warmer climate and maintain the same consistency. 5w20 would be a tad lighter, but helps with startups, etc. in cooler climates.

Don't follow me, I'm lost too! O|||||||O

dwvninety

Okay so I have a 2012 with the 3.6. I've been having so many problems lately its been bugging me. I mean the motors gone through hell, upside down once and hydro locked once, I have a the heads done on it cleared all the water only ran upside down for like 3 seconds but its constantly dying (mainly early in the morning) it just bogs down to about 200 RPM then the engine will flutter or it'll die. It's been burning a lot of oil. I switched to 20w-50 thinking it would help but it didn't. And it has a high pitch wine that is Transmission oriented (shifts with and gets louder as RPMs climb)

Any help is appreciated.
Thanks
Colby

Chrysler announced this morning that it will be extending the warranty on 3.6-liter Pentastar V-6 engines in certain 2011-2013 vehicles due to cracked cylinder heads on early versions of the engine. According to Automotive News, roughly 7500 engines built as the Pentastar V-6 was first coming out in 2012, were found to be susceptible to left-cylinder head cracks, potentially resulting in engine failure. Chrysler first discovered the issue when customers began complaining that their vehicles were making ticking noises, stalling, or that the instrument panel was inexplicably displaying a check engine light. The 3.6-liter Pentastar V-6 comes with a 5-year/100,000 mile warranty, which Chrysler will be extending to 10-years/150,000 miles on the left-cylinder head. The cracked left-cylinder head issue potentially affects about 0.5-percent of vehicles equipped with the 3.6-liter V-6. Chrysler determined that subpar fuel along with a number of driving conditions contributed to the issue. A design modification in late 2012 has reportedly fixed the issue in newer vehicles. The 3.6-liter V-6, the first of the Pentastar family that now includes a 3.2-liter version, comes standard in numerous Chrysler vehicles. The 3.6-liter Pentastar is standard on the: Chrysler 300, Dodge Challenger, Dodge Charger, Jeep Grand Cherokee, Jeep Wrangler, Ram 1500, and Ram Promaster. It's optional on both the previous-generation and current Chrysler 200, and Dodge Avenger.

Top Bottom