3" EVO coils with Fox 4-6 Inch Shocks?

Jeepfan30

Ok, just installed one of the new longer Fox shocks. I think they are too long for the amount of lift I have at ride height.

The first pic is the original Fox shock, has about 5 inches of shaft showing at ride height. Looking at the dirt rings appears that during normal driving they travel about 2.5 inches.

The second pic is the new longer shock, has about 3.75 of shaft showing at ride height. my gut is telling me that the new shocks are too long and will almost bottom out during normal driving and possibly limit my up travel?

Before I install the other one I would appreciate any feedback. Thanks!

View attachment 142663 View attachment 142664

Last edited:

toxicwaste29

I told you mine (for 2.5-4" lift) with my 3.5 of lift were the right size. I have read fox shocks run long. I have bottomed mine out pretty much completely except my bump stops kept it from hitting complete bottom by only a couple centimeters. I was also considering the 4-6" size but am glad I didnt get them.

olram30

Not That Kind of Engineer
On a factory jeep, there is exactly 15" at full bump between shock mounting holes. Springs out and foam jounce pads removed.
If you put 2" bump stops you can safely run a 17" collapsed shock. You would need 3" bump stops to safely run 18" collapsed shocks.

olram30

Looking back at your new shock specs, you would need at least 2.5" to 3" bump stops to safely run those particular shocks.

jedg

Looking back at your new shock specs, you would need at least 2.5" to 3" bump stops to safely run those particular shocks.

I think that's what you said a few posts back.

Ok, just installed one of the new longer Fox shocks. I think they are too long for the amount of lift I have at ride height.

The first pic is the original Fox shock, has about 5 inches of shaft showing at ride height. Looking at the dirt rings appears that during normal driving they travel about 2.5 inches.

The second pic is the new longer shock, has about 3.75 of shaft showing at ride height. my gut is telling me that the new shocks are too long and will almost bottom out during normal driving and possibly limit my up travel?

Before I install the other one I would appreciate any feedback. Thanks!

/QUOTE]

Your best bet is to actually cycle your suspension and see how it works out. Full droop and full compression and take measurements. With the shocks out, then with the shocks in, and finally with the shocks and tires in. That way you determine what is going to dictate your bumpstop height as well as determine if your shock is the limit on droop or something like your brake lines.

Last edited:

Jeepfan30

I have 3" bump stops in the front right now. I don't want to increase my bump stop anymore. When measuring between the metal coil perch to the metal bump jounce I have about 4.5 inches. The new longer shocks only have about 3.75 shaft showing meaning they will compress all the way before hitting the bump stop. If this is wrong and I am retarded please let me know :)

Jeepfan30

My old shocks had decent up/down travel, but the coils and bumps stop could handle more travel so I orders these new longer shocks. Might just be opening some new cans of worms with longer shocks while keeping the 3" coils.

olram30

My old shocks had decent up/down travel, but the coils and bumps stop could handle more travel so I orders these new longer shocks. Might just be opening some new cans of worms with longer shocks while keeping the 3" coils.

Doesn't matter on the 3" or 4" springs if you don't have the proper bump stops to keep your shocks from bottoming out.

Jeepfan30

Doesn't matter on the 3" or 4" springs if you don't have the proper bump stops to keep your shocks from bottoming out.

Ok, sounds like if I am not willing to add more bump stop, I have the Metalcloak adjustable front bump stops, then these shocks are a deal breaker for me.

I guess I could run 4" bump stop to keep the shocks from bottoming out, and still have lots of droop. But I don't want to be riding my bump stops when I hit a pothole either.

Live and learn, thanks for the help:thumb:

Last edited:

toxicwaste29

Here are my 2.5-4" shocks. The rubber spacer shows how close I've come to bottoming them out.

Attachments

• 1431476325998.jpg
    1431476325998.jpg
    104.3 KB · Views: 143

jkwebbie

What's the extended and collapsed lengths? Evo coils have a long free length, they don't advertise it like other companies. I run the long Bilsteins. No problem with them

Which Bilstein shocks do you have front and rear? I'm planning on running EVO 3" plush rides and Bilsteins.

Petzl88

On a factory jeep, there is exactly 15" at full bump between shock mounting holes. Springs out and foam jounce pads removed.
If you put 2" bump stops you can safely run a 17" collapsed shock. You would need 3" bump stops to safely run 18" collapsed shocks.

This is very helpful. Is this for the front only?

I am trying to figure out what length Rancho 9000s I need for 3" lift in the front and 2" lift in the back. I have 2" bumpstops both front and rear.

jedg

I am trying to figure out what length Rancho 9000s I need for 3" lift in the front and 2" lift in the back. I have 2" bumpstops both front and rear.

If you want to be specific to your vehicle, you need to look at the droop and compression with the shock off and with the tires off then tires on. Look for things like your brake lines and wheel speed sensors limiting droop, the tires making contact with the fenders, etc.. you can then get your compressed shock length and extended shock length. With extension, you would droop until the brake lines, wheel speed sensor are limiting or your coils begin to unseat.

olram30

Spacer or coil lift. If your coils can handle long shocks without unseating I would personally go with the 31/30 combination. If short springs or spacers probably the 29/30 combination with Rancho 9000.
You have to do extra stuff to run longer shocks. Brake lines, front lower shock relocation brackets and other little tweaks.

Petzl88

Spacer or coil lift. If your coils can handle long shocks without unseating I would personally go with the 31/30 combination. If short springs or spacers probably the 29/30 combination with Rancho 9000.
You have to do extra stuff to run longer shocks. Brake lines, front lower shock relocation brackets and other little tweaks.

I have new coils in the front and a 2" spacer in the back. I have added brake line drop brackets so I am good there. I currently have stock Rubicon shocks with 3" shock extensions in the front (25.75" extended) and I don't have any issues with brake lines or ESP wiring.

In the rear I have a 2" coil spacer, stock Rubicon shocks with 2.5" shock extensions. That makes the rear shocks 25.5" and the coils don't unseat.

I think you are right with the 31/30 combo. The extended lengths are 27" in front and 26" in the rear. I just wanted to make sure that I don't bottom them out. Compressed lengths are 16.6" in the front and 16.1" in the rear. Do you think I will bottom them out?

Petzl88

If you want to be specific to your vehicle, you need to look at the droop and compression with the shock off and with the tires off then tires on. Look for things like your brake lines and wheel speed sensors limiting droop, the tires making contact with the fenders, etc.. you can then get your compressed shock length and extended shock length. With extension, you would droop until the brake lines, wheel speed sensor are limiting or your coils begin to unseat.

This is what I need to do.

Jeepfan30

Here are my 2.5-4" shocks. The rubber spacer shows how close I've come to bottoming them out.

Thanks for the picture. I pushed my rubber spacer all the way up until it made contact with the lower shock body and went for a drive, purposefully hit some speed bumps going 25mph, and when I got home the spacers were depressed about 2.5 inches. With that being said, I would only have another 1.75 inches of up travel when wheeling with these new longer shocks.

I don't doubt the EVO coils can handle the droop (28.2 inches extended), but wouldnt the limited up travel reduce my off-road capability? Thanks,

Top Bottom