35" tires

Incarcer8r

Sorry if this has been asked before or discussed previously, but.......Is it possible to move up to a 35" tire on my Gladiator without dropping my gas milage down to 15 miles per gallon or lower? I am running 33's now and still average 20 miles per gallon.

2020 Gladiator Sport S
Steel bumpers with winch
Tri-Fold hard bed cover
3 1/2 lift
Cold Air Intake and Cat back exhaust

Any input will be appreciated.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
It's impossible to NOT lose some fuel economy with bigger tires. However, what tire you run will make the difference between some and a LOT of loss. Running a street tire or AT will have a LOT less rolling resistance than an MT.

Incarcer8r

It's impossible to NOT lose some fuel economy with bigger tires. However, what tire you run will make the difference between some and a LOT of loss. Running a street tire or AT will have a LOT less rolling resistance than an MT.
Thank you, still trying to decide if I want to move up or not. Is it a good idea to re-gear as well once you hit 35's and larger?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Thank you, still trying to decide if I want to move up or not. Is it a good idea to re-gear as well once you hit 35's and larger?
That's a hard one and really, it depends on what gears you have now. If you have 4.10, I'd be hard pressed to re-gear but if you have 3.73 or less, I would regear to at least 4.56 as that will bring you back to stock performance. That is not to say you will have stock mpg, just power. 4.88 will give you a bit more get up and go but you will be running on the high side of rpm and will have reduced mpg.

Incarcer8r

Since I live in Dayton. Could you recommend a good shop to do the re-gear If I do decide to go with the 35s My current gears are 3.73.

JimLee

Hooked
I did 35s on a JLU for a few years on 3.45s, mileage averaged 18.5. Its doable but not optimal.

Dale72

Hooked
This was a sport s with 35's. As long as I would stay at 65 mph or less I would get 19 to 20 mpg's. When I would drive 70 it would get 15 to 16 mpg's. It still had the stock gears.

Attachments

• 20220528_164918.jpg
    20220528_164918.jpg
    368.2 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:

duktrx

Sorry if this has been asked before or discussed previously, but.......Is it possible to move up to a 35" tire on my Gladiator without dropping my gas milage down to 15 miles per gallon or lower? I am running 33's now and still average 20 miles per gallon.

2020 Gladiator Sport S
Steel bumpers with winch
Tri-Fold hard bed cover
3 1/2 lift
Cold Air Intake and Cat back exhaust

Any input will be appreciated.
Manual or Automatic?
I ran 35's with a 3.8 and manual on 3:73 gears for 4 years and averaged 17-20 depending on how heavy my right foot was. When I drove straight through from Portland to Fresno during 100°+ temps, used AC the entire way, averaging 75 mph I was over 20 mpg.

Last edited:
Top Bottom