37" Recommendation

Yes, shipping is free, they use a freight company... I would strongly urge against getting any Nittos... they just aren't that good a tire in my experience. They look great, but so many tires out perform them 100%. Pit Bull makes 3 different kinds of tires in both radial and bias plys. If you want a serious tire and don't want the Pit Bulls I would strongly reccomend the GoodYear Wrangler MT/Rs with Kevlar. \m/

I have seen more people hate their Wranglers than any tire. Strong sidewall, but don't balance worth CRAP:eek:

I ran KM2's in 35's and got great wear out of them, noisy as hell!! They hooked up in the sandstone but in ice and snow or even wet pavement, hold on......they were like skates.

I'm running Nitto's in 37's and I have never been as excited about a set of tires as I am these!! The first time out wheeling, they were clinging to walls on the sidewalls that I constantly slid off of before. Supper quiet and great ride. I have a set of slabs that I need to get them mounted on and i am curious to see how they will ride without balancing them. Just my $.02.

BDP849

I have seen more people hate their Wranglers than any tire. Strong sidewall, but don't balance worth CRAP:eek:

I ran KM2's in 35's and got great wear out of them, noisy as hell!! They hooked up in the sandstone but in ice and snow or even wet pavement, hold on......they were like skates.

I'm running Nitto's in 37's and I have never been as excited about a set of tires as I am these!! The first time out wheeling, they were clinging to walls on the sidewalls that I constantly slid off of before. Supper quiet and great ride. I have a set of slabs that I need to get them mounted on and i am curious to see how they will ride without balancing them. Just my $.02.

Get those thing mounted up, what's the hold up?
I just bought a new set of Nittos and Slabs, should have them tomorrow.

desertrunner

Yes, shipping is free, they use a freight company... I would strongly urge against getting any Nittos... they just aren't that good a tire in my experience. They look great, but so many tires out perform them 100%. Pit Bull makes 3 different kinds of tires in both radial and bias plys. If you want a serious tire and don't want the Pit Bulls I would strongly reccomend the GoodYear Wrangler MT/Rs with Kevlar. \m/

My experience has been the opposite and it could possibly be the type of wheeling I did over the last 2 years (Colorado and Utah) but out of the guys in my group the nittos performed the best over KM2s, duratracks, and hankooks. I feel like the pit bulls would get shredded with the terrain I like to wheel in and I have heard nothing but horror stories with ballancing the MTRs

desertrunner

If you wouldn't mind elaborating on why you saw the nittos fall short? I'm curious if it was terrain related like couldn't handle the mud as well? drove like shit on ice? Sidewall issues? Crappy wear? I just so far haven't read many bad things about them so I wanna hear some :)

TheDuff

Do not agree with any of this. Especially the mtr's... seen a video of a guy losing 2 of these driving from the staging area to the trail head of a place I wheel frequently. On top of that, several people I know that have had then said they where horrible to balance and also easily slashed the side walls. While all my buddies now have nittos and love them. I had toyo open country mt's prior to my current km2s and will say without a doubt I liked everything about the toyo's more.

JKWrang

I ran BFGs and Duratracs. While I love the tread on a Duratrac o don't like y he sidewall. I love love love my Nitto Mud Grapplers. Nitto for life now

BigPrince

Toyos and Nittos are heavy. look at the specs. I'd rather have less rotational weight. I have 37" MT/Rs and had them shaved/trued , 2 plane balanced (versus places trying to balance on one plane) when I got them and they have been fantastic since. On smooth road there is almost no feedback they are so smooth. I'll probably go 40-41.5 pit bulls next set just to try them.

Last edited:

CJW

I've run nitto and toyo mud terrains. Never had a flat with either. That's what I stick with.

Stepsride

Agreed the Bfg's have worn very well and are getting louder as they age. The Nittos are a great tire and wore maybe better than BFG however at the mid to end of life they will howl!! Also for the slight $ difference I would go back to Toyos in a second over Nittos

desertrunner

I was talking about the person who posted about the nittos not doing so hot on the trails but I can't figure out quoting from my phone sorry
I believe he is in FL too though that could make all the difference in what tire does good.

I still have yet to see anyone not like the trail graps so I wanna hear from someone that doesn't and why they don't like them just so I can weight my options when I buy here in the next month

Last edited:

Flyer

Big Prince: Where did you get your MTRs shaved/trued? First time I have heard of this. I do run 35" MTRs and prefer them off-road to the KMs and KM2s but mainly use them because the KMs and KM2s do not, IMO, do well at all on slick roads. Looking for options myself since these MTRs will wear out by the end of the year. The Nittos and Toyos are too heavy for me.

JKAnimal

Caught the Bug
Toyos and Nittos are heavy. look at the specs. I'd rather have less rotational weight. I have 37" MT/Rs and had them shaved/trued , 2 plane balanced (versus places trying to balance on one plane) when I got them and they have been fantastic since. On smooth road there is almost no feedback they are so smooth. I'll probably go 40-41.5 pit bulls next set just to try them.

The reason they are heavy is because they are stout and have better sidewalls. Less weight = less rubber and other material = weaker tire.

If you wheel... on Colorado trails or any other kind of rocky trails you'll want better sidewalls and the best are Nitto. I have put my Nitto TGs through hell and they always come out on top. There have been times when I thought sure I'd loose a sidewall but those bad boys withstood the pressure and pulled through. I love my Nitto Trail Grapplers! You won't give a shit about rotational weight when a rock pokes a hole in your sidewall. Just my :twocents:

My Jeep is also my DD and I've never had any balance issues with the Nittos.

Edit: by shaved are you saying the tire shop actually removed tread from the tire? Never heard of that. If a tire is made right why would it need to be shaved?

BigPrince

I had my 37 MT/Rs shaved/trued at Weaver Tire & Brake in Marietta, GA. They told me I would lose couple hundred miles of wear but since the tire would be wearing more even after it would actually even out and wear longer. I had Discount Tire try to balance them twice and they weren't worth a mess either time - still very out of balance. Weaver trued the tires and then also balanced them on two planes rather that just the one plane that DT was trying to balance them on. After this my MT/Rs were so slick on some new paved road it freaked me out the first time as there was no feedback to the steering wheel - like a boat on a completely smooth lake.

Shaving them. Material on the ground is after 3 other tires and on the 4th.
MTR%20Shaving.jpg

Worst tire - still took a good bit of weight but butter smooth afterward
MTR%20Weights.jpg

Best tire - you can see where DT was just throwing weight in the center of the tire rather than balancing on the very inside lip and as far out as they could get on the inside of the tire with stick weights.
MTR%20Weights2.jpg

I've got ~2k miles on them since and one tire is slightly out of balance after the last wheeling trip but the rest are still good. I am not easy on them either. I'm betting I just knocked off an inside lip weight on a rock.
I know it's blasphemous here but my MC GC 3.5" ARB has done well with the 37" MT/Rs and MC Overline fenders.
Stage1%20Black%20Moose.jpg

Last edited:

Yeep

Out of curiosity, what did they charge you to shave the tires and how many miles did you have on them when you did it?

JKAnimal

Caught the Bug
I had my 37 MT/Rs shaved/trued at Weaver Tire & Brake in Marietta, GA. They told me I would lose couple hundred miles of wear but since the tire would be wearing more even after it would actually even out and wear longer. I had Discount Tire try to balance them twice and they weren't worth a mess either time - still very out of balance. Weaver trued the tires and then also balanced them on two planes rather that just the one plane that DT was trying to balance them on. After this my MT/Rs were so slick on some new paved road it freaked me out the first time as there was no feedback to the steering wheel - like a boat on a completely smooth lake.

Best tire - you can see where DT was just throwing weight in the center of the tire rather than balancing on the very inside lip and as far out as they could get on the inside of the tire with stick weights.

I've got ~2k miles on them since and one tire is slightly out of balance after the last wheeling trip but the rest are still good. I am not easy on them either. I'm betting I just knocked off an inside lip weight on a rock.
I know it's blasphemous here but my MC GC 3.5" ARB has done well with the 37" MT/Rs and MC Overline fenders.

Interesting. seems odd to have to fix a brand new tire. I've never had any issues out of my Nittos. Never needed re-balancing.:beer:

Nice shot on the rocks!:rock:

BigPrince

Nice shot on the rocks!:rock:

Thanks!

Out of curiosity, what did they charge you to shave the tires and how many miles did you have on them when you did it?

Been awhile but I think it was $15/tire. I had about 40miles on them. Bought them at discount and let them try to balance them twice before going to Weaver. Only drove around town. Had troubles out of the gate with them and the shave/truing and balancing by a great shop fixed them up.

Interesting story - there was a guy who had the tires on his 370z shaved/trued while mine were getting done. He had driven down from Chattanooga (1-1.5hrs) to get it done as the shops up there said his tires were toast due to having a bad adjustment done. He lost more tire than I did when they fixed his tires but when they were done they had the tires spinning at 90mph with the car on the lift and the car was barely vibrating from the engine. Tires were butter smooth.

Last edited:

seanb123

Thanks!

Been awhile but I think it was $15/tire. I had about 40miles on them. Bought them at discount and let them try to balance them twice before going to Weaver. Only drove around town. Had troubles out of the gate with them and the shave/truing and balancing by a great shop fixed them up.

Interesting story - there was a guy who had the tires on his 370z shaved/trued while mine were getting done. He had driven down from Chattanooga (1-1.5hrs) to get it done as the shops up there said his tires were toast due to having a bad adjustment done. He lost more tire than I did when they fixed his tires but when they were done they had the tires spinning at 90mph with the car on the lift and the car was barely vibrating from the engine. Tires were butter smooth.

Geeze I must have gotten lucky. I got mtrs and put swapped them onto old rims with weights on them. Was going to get them balanced but at 80 they are just fine. I know they need to be balanced eventually but still haven't gotten around to doing it it's been about 3 weeks. There is maybe 1oz on each right now.

Top Bottom