37" Recommendation

CJW

The reason they are heavy is because they are stout and have better sidewalls. Less weight = less rubber and other material = weaker tire.

If you wheel... on Colorado trails or any other kind of rocky trails you'll want better sidewalls and the best are Nitto. I have put my Nitto TGs through hell and they always come out on top. There have been times when I thought sure I'd loose a sidewall but those bad boys withstood the pressure and pulled through. I love my Nitto Trail Grapplers! You won't give a shit about rotational weight when a rock pokes a hole in your sidewall. Just my :twocents:

My Jeep is also my DD and I've never had any balance issues with the Nittos.

Edit: by shaved are you saying the tire shop actually removed tread from the tire? Never heard of that. If a tire is made right why would it need to be shaved?

^^^^This. Depends on where you're wheeling I guess. Here in CO the rocks are sharp. My Nitto TGs have scrape marks but never let me down. I also daily drive mine about 100 miles a day.

CJW

At the MTR comments and shaving and balancing: Not bashing here, run what u like, but I can't imagine buying a tire that I have to true on my own. Isn't that part of what your paying for?? A round tire... And all the weight being used to balance them...
Again, to each there own, not bashing at all. Just my 2 cents, I couldn't spend that much money on rubber to have them cut away.

I have barely any weight added to balance my Toyos. As with most things, you get what you pay for with Toyo/Nitto.

desertrunner

Cooper Discover STT.

So what's the scoop on the coppers I have heard a lot of ppl recommend them lately. How are the new STTs holding up wear wise as a DD and how is the performance on the rocks? Also how good is the side wall compared to toyo/nitto?

I had a really old set of coppers on my old truck but I never really put them to the test off road

xflstl

So what's the scoop on the coppers I have heard a lot of ppl recommend them lately. How are the new STTs holding up wear wise as a DD and how is the performance on the rocks? Also how good is the side wall compared to toyo/nitto?

I had a really old set of coppers on my old truck but I never really put them to the test off road

Coopers are awesome in every way, however they are Damn heavy.

desertrunner

Looking for some specifics here though like how many miles can you get out of them. Are they sticky aired down on the CO rocks? strong side wall? Good in deep mud? And is Damn heavy like toyo heavy? Also how tall do they sit as a 37, More like a toyo or a KM2?

Last edited:

Yeep

Geeze I must have gotten lucky. I got mtrs and put swapped them onto old rims with weights on them. Was going to get them balanced but at 80 they are just fine. I know they need to be balanced eventually but still haven't gotten around to doing it it's been about 3 weeks. There is maybe 1oz on each right now.

I have them too and they have been fine and balanced no problems... (I got them because the trails grapplers were on infinite backorder with no eta)

I've had the trail grapplers in the past and do like the way they ride on road and wear better, but I have no complaints as of now with my mtr/k's.... That being said, I will probably go back to the trail grappler when I need new tires if they are available

seanb123

I have them too and they have been fine and balanced no problems... (I got them because the trails grapplers were on infinite backorder with no eta)

I've had the trail grapplers in the past and do like the way they ride on road and wear better, but I have no complaints as of now with my mtr/k's.... That being said, I will probably go back to the trail grappler when I need new tires if they are available

I'm with you on that. Trails back ordered km2 as well so it's was the mtrs. I like them but they were certainly not my first choice.

The Coopers are made on the same line as several other tires (including ProComps). The compound, carcass, and belting are all the same and is the second lightest (first being BFG) MT made..

A 35 is around 60# and a 37 will be sub 70#

A Toyo 37 (also wider) will be about 90#

Last edited:

JokerJKU

The Coopers are made on the same line as several other tires (including ProComps). The compound, carcass, and belting are all the same and is the second lightest (first being BFG) MT made..

A 35 is around 60# and a 37 will be sub 70#

A Toyo 37 (also wider) will be about 90#

I can vouch for how heavy the Toyo's are. Just switched from 37" MTR-Kevlars to the Toyo's and lost nearly a full mpg due to the weight of the tires. That said, the Toyo's didn't require an ounce of weight and they are rock solid to 85, the MTR's were a handful at 70 and had a TON of weight on them to get them just closed to balanced.

hhunter050

Looking for some specifics here though like how many miles can you get out of them. Are they sticky aired down on the CO rocks? strong side wall? Good in deep mud? And is Damn heavy like toyo heavy? Also how tall do they sit as a 37, More like a toyo or a KM2?

I've only aired mine down twice and went rock crawling. Once was on a rainy day the other was extremely dry. I was absolute amazed at how well they held on the wet rocks. I've run them before and got 45k miles out em! And I crawl right through deep mud. The thick aggressive lugs let the mud slip right out. I have 37x1350R17 on a 9" wide rim. They sit about 36.25" high. Not counting the tread so they sit around 36.75" tall all together.

bsimon187

I can vouch for how heavy the Toyo's are. Just switched from 37" MTR-Kevlars to the Toyo's and lost nearly a full mpg due to the weight of the tires. That said, the Toyo's didn't require an ounce of weight and they are rock solid to 85, the MTR's were a handful at 70 and had a TON of weight on them to get them just closed to balanced.

Close to the same experience as above.. had the 35" MTR's and switched to 37" Trail Grapplers. Had to get the MTR's balanced a few times and at 70+ were not fun, required a ton of weights as well. The TG's are a lot heavier, used a lot less weight, and no issues at any speed with them. but they are way heavier.

hhunter050

And mine weigh like 83lbs/tire I believe. Not exactly sure but I know that my 33" toyos weigh as much as these 37" coopers lol

Does anyone have experience with Open Country R/T? I was looking at those or the Open Country M/T?

I run the toyo mt in 35 and they are flawless. Heavy yes, but tough as nails. Took nothing to balance and they are as smooth running 80mph as they are running 20mph.

NM2012CherryJK

Sweet thanks! going to go look at some 37's this weekend and looks like I'm going to go with these. My MT/R's suck keep having to get them rebalanced.

Top Bottom