37 Recommendations

tonytony9

I decided to step up from 33 inch all terrain tires and make the move to 37’s. My 08 JKU sport has been a daily driver for years. What is new is I have a second vehicle and my driving has significantly decreased.

I might sound crazy but I am redoing my build at 163k miles. I plan to slowly build a front axle this summer and of course do some necessary work to my rear d44. This is definitely more of a mall crawler, with very light trail use to camping, fishing, and hunting spots.

Tire and wheel recommendations? I’m interested in AT. Heard BFGoodrich AT is fantastic. Overkill, I’d like to get beadlocks.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
For your purposes, BFG AT is a good tire. Being that you don’t need beadlocks, I would highly recommend against them. It’ll make life a lot easier for you.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

Primo82

Caught the Bug
Increase weight. Headache being that most tire shops won’t work on or balance them.

Have you had to have your tires balanced in the past? I've read that manufacturing methods have improved and balancing is rarely needed, just curious if you would agree with that statement. I plan on going to beadlocks in the future. I watched the video where you mounted a tire on a beadlock and it doesn't look like a terrible job. Just curious if I'll need to learn to balance a tire before I step up to 37s and BLs! Cheers man!

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Have you had to have your tires balanced in the past? I've read that manufacturing methods have improved and balancing is rarely needed, just curious if you would agree with that statement. I plan on going to beadlocks in the future. I watched the video where you mounted a tire on a beadlock and it doesn't look like a terrible job. Just curious if I'll need to learn to balance a tire before I step up to 37s and BLs! Cheers man!

I only get them balanced if they need it. Most of the time, it’s not needed especially with a good tire. If balancing is needed, there are a few shops locally that will do it. Amazingly, Costco is one of them but only here.

bkac

Caught the Bug
I’ve had great luck with my local Discount Tire. They will do everything but touch the rings. Balance, rotate and dismount once I remove the ring. But like Eddie said I don’t have any weights on my Grenades and Nittos, and they are smooth at even 90mph. You just have to find the right tire shop and employee. [emoji4]

Primo82

Caught the Bug
I only get them balanced if they need it. Most of the time, it’s not needed especially with a good tire. If balancing is needed, there are a few shops locally that will do it. Amazingly, Costco is one of them but only here.

Cool, I know 'balancing' was included the last time I bought tires (for an older vehicle) but everything I've read says it usually isn't necessary. I'm assuming the *if balancing is needed* is if you feel drive line vibration after mounting them up? Or do you have a quick and dirty check you do before mounting the tires/rims to your vehicle?

I’ve had great luck with my local Discount Tire. They will do everything but touch the rings. Balance, rotate and dismount once I remove the ring. But like Eddie said I don’t have any weights on my Grenades and Nittos, and they are smooth at even 90mph. You just have to find the right tire shop and employee. [emoji4]

Awesome, we've got a couple local shops, I'm sure I could convince one of them to balance them if needed (with a lot of caveats I'm sure).

MericaMade

Yeah, I have argued with big name tire shops that were hesitant to change a non beadlock tire and rim because they were simulation beadlocks. I found that you need to go to offroad shops to get them balanced.

Sent from my SM-G986U using WAYALIFE mobile app

wjtstudios

Hooked
Nitto Trail Grapplers run very true. I haven’t needed to balance mine yet. The Nitto Ridge grapplers are an AT tire that great too.

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

Ddays

Hooked
I'm running the Ridge Graps in a 35" tire on my DD JL. Performance-wise they've been great but I will say they've gotten pretty loud as they've worn. I've got 45k miles on them and I'm close to getting new ones.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Okay I definitely see the disadvantages to BL.

Any other recommendations for a good DD tire?

Toyo makes a great AT and it comes with a 60k warranty. I'd give that a look. If you drive in icy conditions during the winter, Duratracs are great too.

MericaMade

My vehicle came stock with BFG KO2's, they're awesome. I think they've obsoleted the KO2s and now have a KO3 model out, I'm assuming they are as good if not better.

I haven't seen a KO3. The KO1 was replaced with the KO2. The KM2 was replaced with KM3. The KM3 are a great tire just to bad they run smaller. KO2s are great for a DD OP.

Last edited:

14ACES

I have been extremely happy with my KM3 and before that I ran the General Grabber X3. They are great in the snow. As for balancing beadlocks or other rims. I would highly recommend balancing beads. I have no complaints I have been running them for years. If you mount your beadlocks at home it easy to throw in the bags of beads.

duktrx

I've been running KO2 in the 35" size for about 40K. Still lots of tread left, I am thinking of switching 37's on the Jeep and mounting them on my Ram 2500. Handle great in snow and ice, quiet on the road yet.

Sent from my SM-G988U1 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom